“AMAZING!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn San Francisco

You added The Inn San Francisco to your Saves list
The Inn San Francisco
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   943 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110 (Mission District)   |
Ranked #5 of 70 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
“AMAZING!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 amazing days at the Inn. Marty is a true character and Linda is so sweet. I miss you guys. I'm really hoping to come back soon. Marty receives every guest with such hospitality, shows all the pictures and tells you about the great fire. The mansion is really gobsmacking. I would go by the rooms trying to sneak how they looked like, they're all so different and cute. You almost feel like a princess.
The breakfast was one of the best I've ever had.
They also give you a list with the 80 best restaurants in the Mission.
They made my trip totally worth it.
Loved the Mission and I truly loved SF!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place is lovely and we agree with all the things said previously. We stayed for 4 nights in a spacious queen room, which was at the front of the building (rm 21).

Our room had plenty of space, with a couch and 2 chairs, along with the usual other items. The bathroom was quite small, but quite understandable. Shower was hot with good pressure and the usual toiletries.

Megan and Liza were unbelievably friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. On arrival we had a personal tour of the building and amenities, our bags were carried up for us and we were lent a local tourist book from their library. Nothing was too much to ask.

We enjoyed having the run of the place, including the back yard, parlour and sitting room. We played Scrabble, tickled the piano keys, explored, read the paper, had a cuppa and chatted with other guests, and soaked up the view from the rooftop terrace. It was really homely and friendly, and looked extremely well appointed, including the most beautiful proliferation of orchids and fresh flowers. The rooms, including our bedroom were quite ‘austere’ (dark), with dim lighting, made more atmospheric by candles. The décor is very appropriate for the building and the period.

Within our room at the front, the noise from the street was pretty quiet at night, fairly busy in the day, absolutely as expected for a street-facing room. The Inn is really well located for transport, on the bus lines for routes 14 and 49. These were fine to get us wherever we needed, especially with a 3 day Muni pass. We also walked to the Bart, about 4 blocks. The Inn has its own maps and the staff are really familiar with the bus routes and local attractions. We believe they can tell you anything you need to know.

There are some very interesting restaurants within a short distance. We tried some great food. The neighbourhood is deep Mexican residential. There is a fair amount of homelessness and unemployment in the area which we witnessed. I felt unsafe at times, but I think it was more imagination than reality. We never actually experienced (or heard about) anything untoward (even walking past the guy writing graffiti). There are a couple of local corner shops. I used the Laundromat which is almost diagonally across the road, but apparently the Inn has laundry facilities. That’s the one question I hadn’t asked the staff.

There are a few reasons for not giving 5/5. The windows in our room opened onto the street, but the timber has seen better days and can’t support catches or locks (no security). Housekeeping liked to open the windows when they made up the room, but we didn’t feel secure, so made sure we closed them again. The blinds have seen better days and some don’t work anymore, which can impact on your sleep. The last thing that impacted on our sleep was one of the Inn’s features – the feather mattress. It lumps in the middle, leaving you less than half a bed to sleep in, and making a bit of a hill so you’re tipped to the edge of the bed. It took us 3 nights to work out that it’s actually a feather-filled mattress topper. We removed it on the last night and had a much better night’s sleep. It’s a real shame because if I were alone in the bed it would be such a lovely, cosy, soft sleeping experience. Just not with 2 people in the bed. Perhaps it would benefit from being channelled (segregated squares sewn into it). The quiche that so many rave about is microwaved so it has a soggy bottom, but is still very tasty. Oh, and I would recommend that the yogurts at breakfast were kept in an ice bucket or similar – they got to room temperature and the next day were a bit lumpy.

Apart from all of that, I would not hesitate to recommend this place for an enjoyable ‘experience’. It’s not the Hilton - there is no lift, the stairs creak a bit, the décor is ‘vintage’, there’s no pool, or gym, (but there is a spa, garden and rooftop deck), and the breakfast seating arrangements are a bit haphazard (find a seat at the table, or use a TV dinner tray or balance your plate on your knee or standing up). But the staff are fantastic (including those ladies we only glimpsed but who kept our breakfast supplies coming), the proliferation of fresh fruit, candy, tea & coffee (with real milk, not powdered creamer) along with port and sherry is inviting and reassuring. It was a really pleasant friendly, homely stay.

Room Tip: Not surprisingly, a room away from the street will be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Inn San Francisco at least 4 times, and it continues with its ambience, class and style to be one of our top places to go. The sherry, port, Malbec or a cup of tea are available any time. The decor brings you back to the 19th century heyday of San Francisco. It is authentic to its roots, and one of the only surviving Victorian houses in the Mission District from the San Francisco fire. Enjoy the old photos and the delicious fruit, quiches, cheese and meats at breakfast. Walk downtown, to the library or local bars and restaurants. Relax, enjoy and go back in time.

• Stayed January 2013
Saratoga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'll preface this- I'm not a huge SF fan, nor a B&B fan - but I loved this place so much I got my mom a gift certificate and will be returning! It's easy to get to from the South Bay via car (and Marty has parking garage spots available at about $20/day), it's in the Mission which has an amazing collection of restaurants to explore and you can still hop on BART if you want/need to get up to Union Square.

This Victorian is original (the 1906 fire stopped a couple blocks North), gorgeously outfitted with lots of historical touches (note the photos and maps on the wall - tons of photo books in the lounge). The rooms are all different - I had a 'cozy' room which was very comfortable overlooking Van Ness. Clean and modernized bathroom (with victorian inspired fixtures), nice toiletries and very comfy bed. Teeny TV with cable, desk and dresser.

There is always port and sherry available in the front room (every hotel should have this!) and the breakfast in the morning was quite amazing for one just set out - included quiches, cheeses, meats, breads, fruits, etc.

There is also a quiet, secluded private garden out back with a hot tub and a cool roof deck. Guppy the Puppy is the hotel dog, Marty runs the place and is happy to give you tips and advice for the area. Loved it!

Room Tip: There are pics of the rooms and if you need more details, just give them a call and chat.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a really delightful place. Charming reception, beautiful rooms, if you like deep Victorian styling, with lace curtains, cushions and,various knicknacks. Where there isn't room for a bathroom, a footed bath in the room. Breakfast is great, with a wonderful quiche and a lovely array of fruits, eaten in the livingroom downstairs on a variety of perches. Our bedroom was comfy, if cold, but it was December....Uninteresting bit of Mission, but so what?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We really enjoyed our one night at the Inn. We received a free upgrade to a huge room with a private balcony deck and seating area. The furniture in the rooms is outdated but completely workable and comfortable. I found the tub/shower really difficult to get in and out of, and wondered how someone older, or with any physical difficulties would do it. LOVED the sitting rooms with complimentary sherry and port. The view from the roof was amazing. The fact that the property has fig trees and lemon trees makes you want to stay forever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights in this December. The Inn was exactly the same as I expected, imagined, and the reviews I had read on the TripAdvisor before coming. I just fell in love with the Inn with its authentic original Victorian architecture, the décor, and the amazing buffet style breakfast.

At first, I wanted the room #10 since the room is located in the middle of the Inn and also its decor, but unfortunately it had already been taken at the time, so I chose the room #21 instead which is facing to the front street (S. Van Ness). And so I was a bit concerned about the street/traffic noises in the night time before checking in since I’m a light sleeper and actually there was some street noises during the night time. To my surprise, however, it did not bother me at all, I was so tired because of the daily schedules I had during my stay, and also I think the one of the reasons which puts me in such a deep sleep was that the (bed) mattress, which was very soft but very supportive and soooo comfy. The room was very specious, all the décor was so Victorian and well maintained.. with fresh flowers(so pleased, could feel “ welcoming” ).. candies..bathrobes.. The only thing inconvenient for me was that the mirror on the wall in the bath room. It was over my head since I’m short in height, so when I do my face and hair, I needed to use my tiny compact mirror placing it on the writing desk. (there was a big dresser/mirror in the room but it was too dark for doing that..)
I wish if there was an attached mirror with extendable arm somewhere on the wall mirror..

The highlight of the Inn was the buffet style breakfasts: a full of fruits, they were very fresh and sweet (I’ve tried many other Htls/BBs but not many of them provide such good quality of fruits), a wide selection of breads, the orange juice was amazing!

But above all, what amazed me the most was that:
I woke up many times in the middle of the night or early morning like 2am, 4am or so, since I had a long flight from Japan via LAX and had jet-lag and I could not to do anything else but to come down to the parlors but, how PRECIOUS and AMAZING it was for a traveler like me, all the lovely beautiful lights in the parlors were on, very relaxing/classical music was still on even in such time of day, I WAS SOOOO IMPRESSED.(should mention this too: a wide variety of beverages are also available for 24 hours!), and I even took the hot bath that is located in the back garden patio in the middle of the night or in the early morning! The hot water temperature was perfect even in such hours of the day, like 39 to 40 degree (I can’t describe it in Fahrenheit), it was amazing indeed! I believe the wonderful owner, Marty, really knows what his guests need and what should be provided for their satisfaction – I thank Marty for his generous hospitality and admire him for having built this AMAZING SYSTEM of the Inn – and THIS MAKES THE INN LIKE NO OTHER!!! I also like to give a special thanks to all the lovely, friendly, and helpful staffs: Liza, Yunita, Megan, and other staffs, for your WONDERFUL SUPPORT and HELP during the stay, and thanks to Maria for your experienced attention and caring! They all were really helpful with warm attitude, not in a cold businesslike manner. I felt like being in a lovely, comfortable home…

I had a WONDERFUL stay, can’t think of any other place to stay next time I’m in SF, I would definitely like to come back !! Lastly, I miss Guppy sooo much, the lovely adorable mascot dog of the Inn!! He really knows how to welcome and treat us!! Thank you all!!

Room Tip: Every room has different decor, charm, and taste, so I can not choose... I, myself, like to try all...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Inn San Francisco? Share your experiences!