“A great find in the Mission District.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn San Francisco

You added The Inn San Francisco to your Saves list
The Inn San Francisco
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   943 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110   |
Ranked #5 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Wollongong, Australia
“A great find in the Mission District.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

A charming Victorian building, lovingly decorated and home to a beautiful garden and jacuzzi. I stayed in a small room with a shared bathroom for four nights and although my room was small, it was comfortable, clean and had lots of thoughtful touches like a robe and candy bowl. Never had any problem using the bathroom, although locking and unlocking the door at night was a bit of a hassle and a little noisy - I could often hear other people using it but I'm a light sleeper! My room also faced the street and I heard a little noise at night but not that much - my only complaint would be that my window didn't shut properly and rattled through the night in the wind but again, I put that down to light sleeping! The owner Marty was absolutely lovely, very friendly and gave great advice about restaurants in the area. Some spots in the Mission are a little dodgy but areas like Valencia St are awesome and have really good vintage shops, cafes and restaurants so you just have to know where to look. As a solo traveller, I didn't wander around at night but felt safe walking back to the Inn at dusk. Marty's restaurant map was a god-send (I would definitely recommend Tartine, Delfina and the Peruvian restaurant around the corner from the inn) and Lisa was very helpful with advice on how to get around the city. The bus-stop is a short walk from the Inn and you can easily reach most places from there. Breakfast was plentiful with fresh fruit, toast, muffins etc and free wi-fi was good. Would definitely stay here again - a lovely Inn, excellent hosts and a really cool part of San Fran.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful decor with 24hour tea, coffee, and fruit accessible. Breakfast was great assortment of fruits, breads, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, homemade quiche (veggie and meat). I really enjoyed the breakfast but I can see that if you stayed more than 2 nights that it could get tiresome. It's located 4 blocks (10 min walk) to the 16th/Mission BART stop and only 2 stops away from Union Square which costs only $1.75pp one way. Great restaurants in the area too. The rooms were beautiful and the most comfortable bed/pillows I've ever slept on. Love the candy bowls in the room and the towels and robes were so soft. We stayed in room 32 which had its own bathroom. I highly recommend having a room with your own. Although my only complaint is that our room was facing the main street so it was very tough to sleep in because of the noice. The city sounds didn't bother me a whole lot but if you are looking at a very silent morning, ask for a room away from the street. The entire staff was very nice and accomodating and even lent us a guide book and city map during our stay that we could not have survived without!

Room Tip: Get one with it's own bathroom and one away from the main street Van Ness if you want to sleep i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We wanted a place in The Mission District and so choices were limited. Nice victorian B&B with great b-fast spread. The evening host/owner is a bit garrulous, and more than a little eccentric, but charming. Our bathroom was overtaken by tiny ants. My first complaint led to no remedy, and after my second I was given a bottle of Windex to dispatch the bugs myself. For $255/night I was a bit shocked.

Room Tip: Pix of the rooms are on its website? 5% discount if you're willing to pay by check instead of cc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This inn was certainly a surprise! Lovely property, WONDERFUL breakfast. We certainly felt at home with Marty, Lisa and Guppy. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I can't recommend this inn if stairs are difficult for you. Don't forget your...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

What a fantastic find the Inn San Francisco was on our US stopover!! Gorgeous home, spotlessly clean room with outstanding attention to detail. We loved the warmth and hospitality of the owners and wee Guppy the dog! The hot tub was fantastic after a long haul flight and the complimentary sherry / port and chats in the evening with other guests really topped our visit! Breakfast was amazing and catered to all needs.

The Mission district, where the Inn is located, is vibrant with wonderful restaurants and shops within walking distance. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in San Fran and look forward to returning - for longer next time!!

Room Tip: From what I could tell, all the rooms are beautifully decorated, spotless, and very comfortable and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We just returned home from a visit to San Francisco and a delightful stay at the Inn San Francisco. It was such a great experience that we tipped the staff 4 times more than we normally do. The service was just over the top excellent. Our room (#11 on the ground floor) was perfect and our first experience sleeping in a feather bed. The breakfasts were delicious, the evening port and sherry welcoming, the owner and staff top notch, and the precious pup (the REAL owner) a nice touch for we dog lovers who were missing our own. We'll stay there from now on in that favorite city.

Room Tip: We opted for the ground floor to avoid the stairs, as well as one that opened to the garden away fro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Marty and his staff at Inn San Francisco could not have done more in making our stay truly comfortable and fun. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast is great, the rooms homely and comfortable. This is a wonderful place to stay while in San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to The Inn San Francisco? Share your experiences!