“Breathtaking View and Overall Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Silicon Valley
“Breathtaking View and Overall Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I fell in love with Hotel Griffon the moment I got into the suite. Our room overlooked Embarcadero and the Bay Bridge was popping against the blue sky. I went to the window which fully opened and saw two parrots (I swear they were parrots) fly by and could hear them squawk. It was truly a very special moment. The staff was very friendly while we were there and they had a good breakfast available the next day. You can tell that they get a lot of international travelers because they had real yogurt. I give Hotel Griffon a 5 start rating for sure.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

The Griffon is a small boutique hotel in a great location in San Francisco. If you're into small boutique hotels, you might really like this place, but it's not for me. The rooms are exceptionally small, and mine afforded a view of a brick wall. My closet had exactly four clothes hangers. The fuzzy TV had surprisingly limited channel selections (e.g. I couldn't find CNN or CNBC. Air conditioning was weak, and the slow elevator can really only accommodate two people with luggage.

On the plus side, everyone was quite friendly, and the location is great. So, if you're only in town for one night, this would be an ok place to land. But, if you're going to be here for a few days, the walls could start to close in on you.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I have never written a review on TripAdvisor before but after staying at this hotel, I thought I should. I have travelled for many years to many countries and I always judge a hotel for what I get for my money. I paid $309 a night (plus taxes) for the smallest hotel room that I have ever stayed in in North America. The room had a double bed and there was just enough room to walk around it and that was the entire room. The sink was in the room and the bathroom consisted of a toilet and very small bathtub. The television was hung from the ceiling because there was not enough wall space for it.

If you like character then this hotel has plenty of it. The floor slopped so much from door to window (that looked at a brick wall 5 feet away) that it actually made me feel a bit dizzy, like a slopping floor at a carnival fun house. I estimate the floor must have had a good 9 inches of slope across its 9 foot width.

I checked the map on the back of the door that showed the room layout for all the rooms on my floor. Of the 18 rooms, 2 had a view of the water, 2 had a view of the back street, 2 were next to either the elevator or stairs and 4 were the very tiny ones like I had. If you don't have a view of the water or the back street then you will not get a view unless you count looking at a brick wall 5 feet away in the fire escape.

When I checked into this hotel they made me initial a form saying that they would charge me $50 a night for every night that I left early. That should have been a strong clue that something was amiss. I have only ever been asked that once before and it was at a place that I did want to leave early.

San Francisco is not a cheap place to stay but this has got to be one of the worst value-for-money hotels in the city. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
Dear Guest,

That was a difficult review for us to hear, but we also need to thank you for your review, and to thank you for your patronage during the month of October. We deduced that because your rate for our Standard Room, you were most likely staying during one of the many conventions we had in San Francisco over the month of October. Convention season is a busy one for us, and for the City at large.

Because of these “compression dates” and the scarcity of rooms over these periods we do request an “Early Departure Fee” in case we are not able to fill the rooms over these heavy booking periods.

Our hotel was built in 1906 (after the earthquake), and this is indeed a historical property. Historical hotels in San Francisco do typically have smaller rooms than you would find in a newer construction property. Many guests seek out our property because of its charm, but also for the value of free WiFi, exceptional service, morning town car, and great location. If you were visiting over a non-convention period, the pricing in San Francisco at large would have been more palatable.

With regard to our light well, we do indeed offer Bay View rooms and City View rooms that offer views from our property. The light wells are a unique San Francisco feature that takes advantage of limited building space, it is historic, but by design it is Green! Having a natural lightwell serves to reduce the necessity for electric lighting, add a central space within the building, and to provide an internal open space.

Again thank you for visiting us during the busy month of October, and if we could be of any more assistance to you in the future, we’d love to have you stay with us again so you can enjoy another room.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Griffon Management and Staff
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Hotel Griffon is located in one of the most accessible places of the city. It's just near the Bay Bridge, so you can take a leisured walk next to the bay.

Second thing, I loved - The internet! I was on a business trip, so working from my hotel was unavoidable. I'm grateful that the internet was reliable and super fast.

What I loved the most about the hotel is the front desk - I was there in a bad scenario. I had a Maestro card, which wasn't one of the common forms of debit cards in the US. They had a policy of not accepting cash. But, there was this person called Marjorie who checked with her boss (late night that was!) and checked me in with a cash payment. Also, I had a complaint about the clock in my room that two frontdesk helpers totally forgot about, but Marjorie was swift in getting that fixed! Thanks! :)

Also, they have good tie-ups with local tour companies. I had a good city tour of SF through the hotel.

The room was decent enough for a single occupancy. I liked the interiors.

What disappointed me was the complimentary cab service in the mornings. They can't accommodate cab requests for many people at a time. So, that's something you can't rely upon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Great location, great style, and great views. The hotel staff was very accommodating, but the reason I gave the service 4 and not 5 stars is because the service in the restaurant (Perry's) was awful! However there are plenty of other fabulous places to eat near by, so avoid Perry's and you will have a great stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Nice place that has also the necessary stuff and friendly smilly staff. It's a good location in SF for must things, though in the evening it can be slightly dead area. Luckily with the subway close by it is not really an issue. Small rooms and a bit in a need of a renovation, but clean and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business trip. The location is very good. It is near the Ferry Building on The Emabarcadero. The "F-Line" Street Car takes you easily to Fisherman's Wharf.

The hotel has charming character. The room was small, but comfortable for a short stay. The king bed was very comfortable. The room amenities were excellent. The hotel is very environmentally GREEN friendly.

The hotel staff were exceptionally professional, friendly, helpful and courteous.

There is valet parking and the fee was discounted for a hybrid car.

The hotel lobby has a WiFi hot spot and I was able to work on my laptop for several hours with no connection issues. I was not able to get a wireless connection from my room. There are also two free access computer stations in the lobby.

There is a Lincoln Towncar service on site, it costs more than a taxi, but the additional expense provided very prompt, clean and friendly transportation service. It was about $45 to the airport and the tip is NOT included.

The room rate includes continental breakfast in a restaurant next door to the hotel. This arrangement is OK, but I did not find the server to be as friendly and helpful as the hotel staff are. The server did not acknowledge me upon my arrival and I had to ask for what was else was available from the kitchen - eggs, etc. knowing that there was an additional charge for anything beyond the continental breakfast. He appeared to be annoyed that he was interrupted during his morning set-up tasks. If this one person cannot set-up and provide service to customers, then the restaurant should add another person to help.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Griffon? Share your experiences!