“1/2 a Room at Twice the Price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Griffon

You added Hotel Griffon to your Saves list
Hotel Griffon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Steuart Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Weekend Parking
Ranked #25 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“1/2 a Room at Twice the Price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I have never written a review on TripAdvisor before but after staying at this hotel, I thought I should. I have travelled for many years to many countries and I always judge a hotel for what I get for my money. I paid $309 a night (plus taxes) for the smallest hotel room that I have ever stayed in in North America. The room had a double bed and there was just enough room to walk around it and that was the entire room. The sink was in the room and the bathroom consisted of a toilet and very small bathtub. The television was hung from the ceiling because there was not enough wall space for it.

If you like character then this hotel has plenty of it. The floor slopped so much from door to window (that looked at a brick wall 5 feet away) that it actually made me feel a bit dizzy, like a slopping floor at a carnival fun house. I estimate the floor must have had a good 9 inches of slope across its 9 foot width.

I checked the map on the back of the door that showed the room layout for all the rooms on my floor. Of the 18 rooms, 2 had a view of the water, 2 had a view of the back street, 2 were next to either the elevator or stairs and 4 were the very tiny ones like I had. If you don't have a view of the water or the back street then you will not get a view unless you count looking at a brick wall 5 feet away in the fire escape.

When I checked into this hotel they made me initial a form saying that they would charge me $50 a night for every night that I left early. That should have been a strong clue that something was amiss. I have only ever been asked that once before and it was at a place that I did want to leave early.

San Francisco is not a cheap place to stay but this has got to be one of the worst value-for-money hotels in the city. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
Dear Guest,

That was a difficult review for us to hear, but we also need to thank you for your review, and to thank you for your patronage during the month of October. We deduced that because your rate for our Standard Room, you were most likely staying during one of the many conventions we had in San Francisco over the month of October. Convention season is a busy one for us, and for the City at large.

Because of these “compression dates” and the scarcity of rooms over these periods we do request an “Early Departure Fee” in case we are not able to fill the rooms over these heavy booking periods.

Our hotel was built in 1906 (after the earthquake), and this is indeed a historical property. Historical hotels in San Francisco do typically have smaller rooms than you would find in a newer construction property. Many guests seek out our property because of its charm, but also for the value of free WiFi, exceptional service, morning town car, and great location. If you were visiting over a non-convention period, the pricing in San Francisco at large would have been more palatable.

With regard to our light well, we do indeed offer Bay View rooms and City View rooms that offer views from our property. The light wells are a unique San Francisco feature that takes advantage of limited building space, it is historic, but by design it is Green! Having a natural lightwell serves to reduce the necessity for electric lighting, add a central space within the building, and to provide an internal open space.

Again thank you for visiting us during the busy month of October, and if we could be of any more assistance to you in the future, we’d love to have you stay with us again so you can enjoy another room.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Griffon Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Hotel Griffon is located in one of the most accessible places of the city. It's just near the Bay Bridge, so you can take a leisured walk next to the bay.

Second thing, I loved - The internet! I was on a business trip, so working from my hotel was unavoidable. I'm grateful that the internet was reliable and super fast.

What I loved the most about the hotel is the front desk - I was there in a bad scenario. I had a Maestro card, which wasn't one of the common forms of debit cards in the US. They had a policy of not accepting cash. But, there was this person called Marjorie who checked with her boss (late night that was!) and checked me in with a cash payment. Also, I had a complaint about the clock in my room that two frontdesk helpers totally forgot about, but Marjorie was swift in getting that fixed! Thanks! :)

Also, they have good tie-ups with local tour companies. I had a good city tour of SF through the hotel.

The room was decent enough for a single occupancy. I liked the interiors.

What disappointed me was the complimentary cab service in the mornings. They can't accommodate cab requests for many people at a time. So, that's something you can't rely upon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Great location, great style, and great views. The hotel staff was very accommodating, but the reason I gave the service 4 and not 5 stars is because the service in the restaurant (Perry's) was awful! However there are plenty of other fabulous places to eat near by, so avoid Perry's and you will have a great stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Nice place that has also the necessary stuff and friendly smilly staff. It's a good location in SF for must things, though in the evening it can be slightly dead area. Luckily with the subway close by it is not really an issue. Small rooms and a bit in a need of a renovation, but clean and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during a business trip. The location is very good. It is near the Ferry Building on The Emabarcadero. The "F-Line" Street Car takes you easily to Fisherman's Wharf.

The hotel has charming character. The room was small, but comfortable for a short stay. The king bed was very comfortable. The room amenities were excellent. The hotel is very environmentally GREEN friendly.

The hotel staff were exceptionally professional, friendly, helpful and courteous.

There is valet parking and the fee was discounted for a hybrid car.

The hotel lobby has a WiFi hot spot and I was able to work on my laptop for several hours with no connection issues. I was not able to get a wireless connection from my room. There are also two free access computer stations in the lobby.

There is a Lincoln Towncar service on site, it costs more than a taxi, but the additional expense provided very prompt, clean and friendly transportation service. It was about $45 to the airport and the tip is NOT included.

The room rate includes continental breakfast in a restaurant next door to the hotel. This arrangement is OK, but I did not find the server to be as friendly and helpful as the hotel staff are. The server did not acknowledge me upon my arrival and I had to ask for what was else was available from the kitchen - eggs, etc. knowing that there was an additional charge for anything beyond the continental breakfast. He appeared to be annoyed that he was interrupted during his morning set-up tasks. If this one person cannot set-up and provide service to customers, then the restaurant should add another person to help.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
vancouver, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Great location on the Embarcadero and easy walking distance to numerous great places.

That being said, the room I was given was quite average. The bathroom was small (sink and vanity were actually outside of the bathroom facing the bed). Bonus: the room did have a flat-screen TV, and internet access was included in the daily room rate.

The only window in the room faced onto a tiny interior courtyard - if you can call it that - it was very dark. There's only a single, small elevator serving the entire hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

The Hotel Griffon is a lovely place to stay when visiting San Francisco. Located on the Embarcadero, it provides a panoramic view of the Bay. There is a lively restaurant/bar located next to the lobby, where people meet in the late afternoon. The location of the hotel is especially suited for people who like to walk, jog, or bike along the waterway. We took a long walk all the way down to Fisherman's Wharf from the hotel. It was delightful! Also, there are excellent restaurants just steps from the hotel, and of course, all the famous places of San Francisco are at your doorstep.

Our room was cozy and perfect for us. It had the feeling of a European hotel. The large bed was ultra comfortable and we appreciated the room's refrigerator where we were able to keep a leftover salad. Also, it was surprisingly quiet, even though it overlooks San Francisco Bay. We slept very well.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. In short, we highly recommend the hotel Griffon for a place to stay when visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Griffon? Share your experiences!