“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Griffon

Save Saved
You added Hotel Griffon to your Saves list
Hotel Griffon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Steuart Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Sunday Parking
Ranked #22 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pasadena, Maryland
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for three nights. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and made us feel incredibly welcome. The location is convenient to things to do in San Francisco and they have valet parking (expensive in my opinion, but seemed comparable to other services in the area) if you have a car. The room was a good size and comfortable, but it could have been better if a refrigerator and microwave were included. This wasn't a surprise to us, because I noticed they weren't included when we booked the room. It's just a suggestion for the future. I think if we came back to SF, we'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
We sincerely appreciate your feedback and recommendations for improvements after your stay at the Hotel Griffon. We are so glad you enjoyed our welcoming and friendly staff who deliver genuine hospitality to our guests daily. We hope you will return to San Francisco soon and that we have the opportunity to host you again.

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed one night in SF after a business trip and am very glad I selected the Hotel Griffon.

The hotel location is excellent, direct views of the bay bridge if you get a room on that side and right by the Embarcadero. Had a more boutique feel than a typical business hotel which was a good thing for me at least.

All of the staff I met were wonderful (not something you find at most hotels).

My room was well specified and the bed was super comfy and I slept very well. The main negative of my stay was the room size, it was on the small side and had no view so it depends if you want a glamorous room with a view or are happy to have a great hotel in a really good location.

It was an easy walk to areas of interest, I hired a bike a block down and walked to AT&T park for a Giants game.

Hotel had free WiFi which was quick enough for video calling and there was comp coffee and water if you wanted it.

Perry's restaurant/bar is next door and is directly connected in the hotel lobby. Had a very good Sunday brunch which I would recommend especially as you can sit outside and soak in the views.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
We sincerely appreciate your choice to stay at the Hotel Griffon during your recent business trip to San Francisco. We are so glad to hear how our wonderful staff was more attentive than other hotels you may have stayed at. Personal, friendly service is something we all pride ourselves on providing. We do have several types of rooms available and if you prefer a room with a view, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your room request. As you also mention, our location to areas of interest and AT&T park is quite convenient. We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again soon.

Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Great hotel in the heart of the city! Fun farmer's market on the weekend at the Ferry Building. Close to shopping, dining and attactions. We rented bikes nearby and toured the city. All the staff (front desk, valets, housekeeping) were friendly and greeted you throughout the building. Have been here several times and every time is a treat!

Room Tip: We were in the suite #501, beautiful room with balcony and outdoor seating. Friends were in suite #5...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay at the Hotel Griffon. It's always a pleasure to host a return guest such as yourself. We are so pleased to hear how much our convenient and central location near the Ferry Building as well as our friendly staff enhanced your visit to San Francisco. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

County Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Fantastic hotel we had our own suite which was more like our own apartment - room was huge separate sitting area lovely comfortable bed and our own private decking area where we could sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening. Could not recommend this room enough ! Staff friendly and helpful . Parking expensive but it wasn't much cheaper outside of the hotel so just as easy to use the valet parking in the hotel
We stayed here for two days as a stop off on our road trip and cant recommend enough

• Stayed May 2014
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for making the Hotel Griffon a stop on your road trip. We are so glad you did and we are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your experience. From our friendly and helpful staff to our comfortable rooms, we strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience. We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again when the road calls you back out. to San Francisco.

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Visited SF on a personal/ business trip 5/10 - 5/14. I booked this hotel based on the reviews on this site as well as my firm recommended it. Had a fantastic time for the first couple of days.... Perry's is wonderful and the staff was gracious and accommodating. The rooms are small but who cares? You're in San Francisco! I did not like that the sink is in the sleeping area and the french roast coffee in the keurig style coffee maker was weak by any standard. However the hotel offers peets coffee on the lobby which is wonderful. Short walk to the ferry building with LOTS of options. Unbelievably good.

My complaint came when it was time to check out. Prior to my early wake up there were drunk, loud guests on my floor that literally woke me out of a dead sleep at 1:30 am. Not the hotels fault, but the noise cont:::inued unabated for almost an hour.... someone should have done something. I was on the second floor and the lobby is within earshot. I had an early flight so went to leave at 5 am. The clerk at the desk was completely rude!!! He completely blew off my questions about the car i had requested to take me to the airport. I was also not happy that I got NO paper receipt despite the fact that I told the clerk that part of my trip would be expensed. The man at the desk acted like I was an annoyance even though there were no other guests in sight. It basically left a terrible impression of an otherwise lovely experience. The hotel should demand that all staff conduct themselves to a high level of excellence for what they charge regardless of the hour. Based on the last 12 hours of my stay I would not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and your candid comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed your first two days with us. We are sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience on the day of your check out. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional (and consistent) experience; however, it appears we fell well short of that goal on your last day. Although this type of service lapse is far from the norm for our hotel, it has negatively impacted your perception of the level of service one can expect to receive and for that, we are truly sorry. That any of our staff behaves in this way is unacceptable and will be immediately addressed. I wish to thank you for bringing this to my attention, so improvements can be made. If you wish to contact me directly to discuss your experience further, I would welcome the opportunity. Thank you again, and please accept our sincerest apologies.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at this place on a Saturday for a friends birthday party in S.F.
If you enjoy tiny (12'X12') rooms with no views, noisy, and horrible A/C, this is the spot for you. At a bargain price of only $250you can do much better if you do your homework. Great location if you like tourist crowds!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
Green Features: I didn't notice any environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your comments. I am sorry to hear how our facility did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide to provide an exceptional experience to each and every guest; however, we seem to fallen short of the goal during your visit. We will certainly address the A/C issue you mentioned as it does not sound like it is up to our standards. Our historic hotel has many room types and configurations, including some with views of the city or the bay. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope you will give us another chance to experience our hospitality

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Our stay at the Hotel Griffon in San Francisco was wonderful! Everyone we came into contact with made us feel like VIPs. From the hotel valet to the front desk, top notch service. And when my husband mentioned that we were celebrating my birthday, a bottle of champagne appeared in our room, compliments of the hotel staff! The room was clean, well appointed and had a gorgeous view the Bay Bridge. The restaurant below served a delicious Sunday brunch. We would recommend to friends and most definitely return again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Janet R.,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Griffon. We are very pleased to hear how your positive experience with our wonderful staff made such a great impression. We strive to provide every guest with exceptional "VIP" service and we were happy to have the opportunity to be of service to you on your birthday. So glad you were able to take in the views of the Bay Bridge from your room as well. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Hotel Griffon

Been to Hotel Griffon? Share your experiences!