“A Rare Gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Griffon

Save Saved
You added Hotel Griffon to your Saves list
Hotel Griffon
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Steuart Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Sunday Parking
Ranked #23 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
psjayne
“A Rare Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Booked this little hotel because I wanted something boutique and in a prime area. I'm familiar with the STASH hotel group so knew that there was room features and standards that were above average. We were pleased with the staff, the room, and our location. Rooms are small but the location is superb. Sine I know about a parking package rate, I booked the room using this and its well worth it as parking is difficult in San Francisco. We walked to the ferry building every day, the area restaurants are fabulous, we even walked back from nob hill. Didn't hurt that the weather was Devine for January. The hotel is only 5 stories. I would suggest that if your pocketbook allows that you book a king with bay view. Oh, they give u bottled water.

Room Tip: Upper floor, get a street or bay view, 4th or 5th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

You don't even need to cross the street to dine at Boulevard. The Griffon is located impeccably - it backs onto the Embarcadero and is a short diagonal walk from the Ferry Terminal. The interiors blend rustic (exposed brick and rock walls - highlighted by indirect lighting) and modern luxury - large comfortable beds and some rooms with incredible Bay Bridge views. I stayed here years ago and then switched to the Vitale (merely because I was starting at it when I dined at Boulevard). I'm switching back to The Griffon, which distinguishes itself on service. The staff will take care of anything you need or arrange anything for you. Seamlessly and well in advance. Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bay Bridge view.
Green Features: Like San Francisco in general, The Griffon makes going green easy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Andy K.,
Thank you for recognizing our impeccable location and seamless service in your review of your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon. We are pleased to have you back and look forward to serving you again soon.

East Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed overnight for my wife's 50th birthday as a surprise. I mentioned this to the person checking me in and without hesitation she arranged for a complimentary bottle of champagne for our room for when we arrived after dinner. I was so grateful. The hotel was immaculate and very convenient to the Ferry building, Embarcadero and financial district. I will definitely stay there again and tell my friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you choosing the Hotel Griffon for your wife's special day. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are glad to hear how you enjoyed our personal service, immaculate rooms and great location on the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we look forward to your next visit.

California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My friends and I stayed here after Christmas for 2 nights. We were looking for a hotel anywhere in San Francisco that was reasonably price since we were on a budget. Luckily one of our friends referred us to Hotel Griffon. We got our room for less than a $100 a night and when i checked online, its located at Embarcadero where a lot of tourist spots are located.

Before our trip i already read the reviews online about the Hotel. Most i have read mentioned that since this is just a boutique hotel, the rooms are quiet small. Thus i already have an idea what to expect. We booked for a Standard King and true enough the room is small. Upon entering the bathroom is already to your left and a few steps ahead is the King size bed. The sink was unusually located outside the bathroom(by the foot of the bed) but then i've read about this already so it was no surprise. I guess the advantage is that i get to use the sink while my companion is using the bathroom. There is a small window in the room but it was facing another room so there was really no view to speak of. There is no refrigirator in the room but there is an ice machine by the hallway. The hallway is also quiet narrow as well as the elevator. I dont know How my friends and I (5 of us and a baby) fit in that elevator with our luggages is a miracle but we did :)

They serve free coffee by the lobby in the morning. The valet parking by the way is $40/ night but parking is really expensive in the downtown area. The valet service was prompt and efficient so it was well worth it.

We pretty much were out the whole day so the room was basically just use for sleeping. What's important for me is the clean room, efficient service, good location and the reasonable rate, the room size was only secondary. Overall i would say i wouldnt mind staying again at Hotel Griffon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay if possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have a history with this small, boutique hotel in SoMa...we stayed here during a three month remodel of our condo a few years back and can't say enough about the service, location, and personnel. My husband stayed here earlier this month...we were out of town and friends were using our home, so where to stay for a brief business overnight but Hotel Griffon. They still remembered us after four years and offered a premium rate and room for his stay. The hotel is adjacent to Perry's, a great "Cheers" type restaurant, and is located right on The Embarcadero. Rooms are comfortable and "green" as are the amaenities. And for sightseeers, it's near The Ferry Building and public transportation. Parking, town cars, consierge, internet...great value in a wonderful area of the city.

Room Tip: Any room is good but the suites are soooo nice especially the ones with a patio for that extra speci...
Green Features: The amenities are "green". New low flush toilets and showere heads were being installed on our first visit four years ago.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
It was wonderful to have you stay with us again, even if only for one night. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our great staff and the service they provide as well as our location in the beautiful Embarcadero area of San Francisco. Perry's is popular with guests and locals alike and I hope they remembered your name when you walked in as well.

Looking forward to welcoming you back during your next" in town" getaway.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here over New Year's Eve with my girlfriend and some friends. At first I was somewhat skeptical because I've stayed at some pretty nice places but I read a lot of good reviews and the rates were reasonable. In my opinion this hotel is located in one of the best areas in San Francisco right by the Embarcadero. This hotel has fantastic service, is very clean and has good food. The bartender was also super cool and was on the ball especially for how crowded it was New Year's Eve.

The only cons to this place is the room configuration was a little weird with the sink on the outside of the bathroom. Also they need to get better pillows and mattresses. They are not horrible but it would make up for the small room and weird configuration. Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel. I also can't stress how nice everyone was at this hotel and again fantastic service. Victor was very helpful and very attentive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Jasoni662,
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear how much you appreciated the attentive and friendly service you received from Victor and the rest of the staff. We strive to provide exceptional service to each and every guest to ensure they are well taken care of. We also agree that our location is fantastic with our close proximity to the Embarcadero waterfront, Ferry Building and New Years Eve fireworks. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Griffon soon, and often.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Griffon for Christmas. Selected for location and price - happy with both. The room was an interior room with a small window to an internal corridor space. Despite being told by the front desk that they were not busy at all, they refused to move us without an additional $80 a night. That kind of greed erodes return business; that would have been an easy way to gain a very loyal repeat customer.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Hotel Griffon? Share your experiences!