The good parts:
- staff friendly and helpful. I asked to change rooms after two nights and was immediately given an alternative with no indication that I was being a nuisance
- rooms a good size (at least the two I stayed in were)
- rooms were clean
- a good area to stay, safe and easy to walk to many parts of the city including: Fisherman's Wharf (although frankly I wouldn't bother, it's a tacky tourist trap); the great shops, bars and restaurants on Union Street; Pacific Heights; California Street where you can pick up the cable car to the Ferry Building; Washington Square; China Town. If you're not so into walking then there are plenty of bus services running nearby
- free wifi
- breakfast included.
Now the negatives:
- the reason I stayed in two rooms was because the first was horrible. Very little natural light which gave it a gloomy almost dingy feel. This was made worse by the heavily patterned wallpaper and dark green carpet (which had a big hole in it). The mismatched furniture and old-fashioned bedding just added to the depressing ambiance. I was given the first room because I'd specifically asked for a quiet one-it was at the back. Yet I still got woken up by something clanking and hissing somewhere in the building. The second room was much lighter, with a bay window which could be opened to let in air: but it was really noisy. I was on Octavia Street, but the six lane highway that is Lombard Street was only a few feet away and kept me awake. Once I'd fallen asleep I was subsequently woken up by people shouting in the street and my neighbours talking in their room (they weren't being noisy, the walls are just paper-thin). I was then kept awake by the extractor fan in an upstairs bathroom going on at 2.00am and not switching off - it was like sharing a room with a drill!
- sheets, blankets and a very scratchy bed cover. Doesn't every modern hotel have duvets?
- basic breakfast.
The only reason I'd stay again would be if it was significantly cheaper than other similar options.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Marina Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Hotel San Francisco
- Marina Inn San Francisco
- Marina San Francisco