“NOT ACCEPTABLE Americas Best Value Inn Ext Stay San Francisco/Civic Ctr” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   246 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Abigail Hotel San Francisco)   |
Ranked #213 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Napa, California
“NOT ACCEPTABLE Americas Best Value Inn Ext Stay San Francisco/Civic Ctr”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I are becoming somewhat of hotel professionals...meaning we've done our fair share of traveling. We are not too picky, easy going for the most part and appreciate good customer service. We stayed here for New Years eve after seeing the LION KING. First of all I called ahead to find out if I could check in early and she said it was too busy of a night I would have to wait to find out when we arrived. THANK GOD we were half decent for the cold walk to the theater. I planned for it to be close so we could walk and it was very close to the Orpheum theater. upon arrival we had to wait to find out about early check in and of course it's new years eve there were no rooms ready. So at this point my g/f needed to use the bathroom and they don't have any except for in the rooms. Then I found out parking was NOT included in there rate of $120.00 after tax but another $30 for this poor excuse for a hotel. There's no ice available. there's a 20-60 minute wait for your car (parking is not on site) They leave your car unlocked when they bring it to the front of the hotel with no one around to supervise. The room we finally got into was nice at first glance. The bathroom was awkward and the heater hissed all night. there's no phone in the room. The whole experience was disappointing. We will never stay there again and I will never suggest it for anyone, and I have stayed in some very cheap places that were better than this! the new paint job on the walls didn't fool anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
satish p, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Sheena,
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. As a new owner of this building for 6 months, we are trying our hardest to do as many upgrades as soon as possible in the shortest amount of time without sacrificing quality. Our booking channels do list a 3pm check in time and we do have a public restroom available to all of our guests. Our valet service is listed on all booking channels as well. You are correct, we do not have parking on site, but we do have a reputable valet service to pick up and drop off our guests vehicles.I will call the valet company and speak with them about supposedly leaving the door unlocked when they drop off the car. They do have a protocol of locking all doors when they drop the cars off and locking them when they are stored in their indoor garage. You are also correct in us not having phones in the rooms when you stayed with us. Currently, we are installing a phone system in all rooms.
I do apologize for you not having the experience we would want you to have here. I would like to invite you back to give us another chance as im sure we can show you that we take customer experience very seriously. Our staff and I at the Americas Best Value Inn Civic Center, want all of our guests to enter and leave the hotel with a smile on their face. We hope that you can give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Our room was very clean and a good size. Recently remodeled. The front desk lady was very nice and so helpful on guiding us where to go and assisting on the traveling options. Good location, SF Opera very close by. My husband and I would definitely stay here again very convenient in multiple ways.

• Stayed January 2013
Hazel,
Thank you for taking time to write us a response. As we know you have many options to choose from in San Francisco, we thank you for staying with us at the Americas Best Value Inn Civic Center. Our prime location is favorable for many guests. As new owners, we are doing many upgrades as installing a phone system(current), upgrading wifi(current), and installing new furniture as it comes in. We hope you will choose us on your next visit to San Francisco.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was a little weary from the previous reviews, but this wasn't my first time in the civic center/ tenderloin area. I know that the neighborhood has a lot of homeless, as well as resources for them, but this was perfect location for me because I had a three day convention to attend downtown civic center area. I took the BART from SFO and arrived in the United Nations Plaza pretty late in the evening. The BART station is super close, as well as other public transportation. This area isn't great for parking, but that's the price you pay for being centrally located in downtown sf. Parking downtown can be pretty pricey, which is why opted to use public transportation during my visit.
My room was a decent size with all wood floors, and the linens were fresh and clean. I could tell that there were some improvements still being done. This is a really classic building with a lot of historic character.You can tell this building has been around for a long time. I had a great chat with Sonny the manager, when I went ask for more towels. I found out this building has been around since 1923, and they just took over in June. We talked about all of the improvements and upgrades they are going to continuing throughout the new year.
The staff was great, breakfast minimal, but they kept the coffee going all day, as well as other hot beverages.
I squeezed in a visit to the Asian Art Museum right around the corner and walked down to Powell to do some shopping. Did I mention that this is a great location?
I look forward to returning in March.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
satish p, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Eugene,
I appreciate that you choose the Americas Best Value Inn Civic Center as your preferred lodging facility. I do remember our chat about the history of the building and I am glad you appreciate the history as much as I do. We are doing upgrades throughout the building. We have just installed new custom made headboards in the some of our rooms with more to be installed every week. Our breakfast is being upgraded as well with a new pancake machine coming in a few weeks. We are very excited about that. I hope you will choose us on your next visit to San Francisco and we look forward to seeing you soon. Take Care Eugene.
Santa Ana, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here early Sept 2012, when it was still called the Abigail Hotel. We only paid $80 for a room, but here is what we got... The bathroom window was closed but unlocked; this was worrysome because it was right next to the fire escape and how often do you check windows to confirm that they are indeed locked. The bottom sheet on the king sized bed was not a fitted sheet nor did it tuck in under the mattress so it kept coming loose; that was uncomfortable plus we ended up sleeping rignt on the mattress. There were burn marks on the carpet. The tv reception was bad and there was no remote control. Paperwork was left out at the desk and was not well protected. It was a noisy location, though you can't blame the hotel for that. It is close to the BART which is nice. Frankly, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

on Ortiz website there were no pictures of the rooms when I had arrived at the pseudo hotel I was not impressed by the surrounding area I did not look safe, I kept looking for a place to park but was told that they had valet parking and that it was $24.00 a day. when I was under the impression that they had parking for quest. I found some where else to park $20.00. I was asked for my id and card and was told the a $50.00 hold had to be placed on my card for incidentals
when I finally went up to my room I thought "are they kidding " the room phone did not have a phone there were holes in the wall, paint chipping, off the bathroom wall and door, I pulled back the head board to plug in the lamp and saw layers of accumulated dust, the dresser had chips and and was also dusty. I could feel the springs in the mattress, I had the worse back ache after staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: not to stay at this hotel Americas Best Value you will do better to say at a hotel in Berkley on un...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having read many of the reviews for this place (mostly 1-star), I feel compelled to offset those reviews slightly. I stayed here for one night towards the end of October. First, a few words about the area. As an SF Bay Area resident, it's well-known that the area around Civic Center is on the somewhat seedier side, but it isn't so bad that I would avoid it at all costs for safety reasons. That said, it is pretty likely you'll encounter homeless people nearby (as you will throughout downtown SF). This hotel isn't right on Market St, so it isn't quite as bad.

My room was on the smaller side; enough space for two beds, and some walking area, but not much else. The building itself is old, so the rooms have sort of an old apartment feel. A little more interior design would help; they are pretty plain rooms as-is. The bathroom was reasonably clean. There was a heat lamp/dish thing provided, since the building's internal systems are probably broken or inefficient. There was no phone in the room, but many people now have these things called cell phones. No microwave, no fridge, TV on the smaller side, power outlets are kind of harder to reach, so they have extension cords snaking around the room. Overall, the rooms are okay if you're not too picky about decor and amenities, and if your main objective is to have a place to sleep and shower.

The breakfast area in the lobby is cute. There is a dark roast, and a lighter roast, and decaf, and those little flavored coffee creamers. There's also decent muffins, and toast, and that's about it. In the afternoon/evening, they had warm Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies, which were pretty good. Overall, a limited selection, but the quality isn't too bad.

Also, they do need to get rid of that confusing Abigail sign. But overall, considering the relatively convenient location and the lower-end price, I think this is a solid 2.5-3 star value, meaning quite acceptable as a place for sleeping and showering (and maybe breakfast), as long as you're not going to be shocked at the realities of life in the city (like having drunk bums in your vicinity).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surprise, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place has got to be the worst place in the world to stay at! It is located at Larkin & McAllister in San Francisco near Civic Center. As I pulled up to the hotel the first thing that I noticed was a large congregation of homeless people hanging out and around the front of the hotel. I witnessed a homeless man drop his pants and pee right there in front of the place! While trying to check in they couldn't locate my reservation but after 30 minutes they finally did. They charge a $50 deposit to your card when you check in that is not divulged to you when you book the room in hell. I get sent up to my cell I mean room and let me tell you prison cells are furnished nicer! Bed said it was manufactured for Marriott and this ain't the Marriott which tells you that the bed is used. There are 3 different colors of paint on the wall none of which match, the so called internet/wi-fi was hanging by wires and unusable, there was a pipe that was hanging out of the wall and there were holes around the pipe so that you could see into the room that is next to yours, the lighting fixtures were old and dated and hanging on for dear life, the furniture was old and broken and nasty, the floors looked like they hadn't been swept since Lincoln was president, the towels in the bathroom were dirty and old, it took multiple attempts at flushing before everything went down and if you took a shower you had better make it fast since the shower filled up with water faster than it was coming out of the shower head which makes you wonder where the water was coming from. There was so much traffic noise and yelling outside. Everytime anyone walked by the room you heard everything. There are NO PHONES or HEATERS in any of the rooms. If you want a hair dryer you have to check it out at the front desk like a library book and there is only one for the whole hotel! While waiting for a cab that night - one hotel guest came down and complained that they had no blankets in their room and the front desk clerk couldn't even give her one since she didn't have access to them - another guest's toilet didn't flush and the front desk clerk handed them a plunger because there was no one there to help them. When I went back to my room that night after a stop at Walgreens for Raid and Lysol I put the chair under the door to keep the vermin out! The next night you heard a pimp and his lady of distinction duking it out in the alley right next to the hotel. I left the hotel so damn early that morning because I couldn't sleep for fear of what may happen to me - I figured I was safer sitting at the airport all day trying to fly by standby than staying at that hotel for another minute. They claim that they serve breakfast but toast and juice don't cut it! I am pretty sure that they use this place for other things when unsuspecting tourists aren't around. I kid you not that I was just waiting for Norman Bates to be waiting for me in the shower.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel - only bad ones! You would be better off sleeping in a cardbo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
satish p, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Im so sorry for your experience here at Americas Best Value Inn. I assure you that we do try to provide the best customer service and quality of the hotel that we can. We are doing upgrades in the hotel as the hotel is under new ownership and I can assure you that many upgrades have been done. The rooms are cleaned everyday by trained housekeeping and we have painted the room that you were in. The paint you say that is not matching is called an accent wall which that color compliments the other walls. New hardwood floors have been put in just 2 months ago. As for the holes in the walls, we have sprinklers in the walls as per fire code in San Francisco and I can assure you that you cannot see into another person's room. Our front desk does have towels, blankets, deodorant, shaving razors, shaving cream, hair combs,toothbrushes, colgate, and more amenities for the guests complimentary if they forget toiletries as towels and blankets are put into every room.
I hope you can give us another chance to show you that we do not want our guests feeling the way you do about our property. Thanks

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!