“You get what you pay for.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

You added Americas Best Value Inn to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   246 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Abigail Hotel San Francisco)   |
Ranked #214 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Ana, California
“You get what you pay for.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here early Sept 2012, when it was still called the Abigail Hotel. We only paid $80 for a room, but here is what we got... The bathroom window was closed but unlocked; this was worrysome because it was right next to the fire escape and how often do you check windows to confirm that they are indeed locked. The bottom sheet on the king sized bed was not a fitted sheet nor did it tuck in under the mattress so it kept coming loose; that was uncomfortable plus we ended up sleeping rignt on the mattress. There were burn marks on the carpet. The tv reception was bad and there was no remote control. Paperwork was left out at the desk and was not well protected. It was a noisy location, though you can't blame the hotel for that. It is close to the BART which is nice. Frankly, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

on Ortiz website there were no pictures of the rooms when I had arrived at the pseudo hotel I was not impressed by the surrounding area I did not look safe, I kept looking for a place to park but was told that they had valet parking and that it was $24.00 a day. when I was under the impression that they had parking for quest. I found some where else to park $20.00. I was asked for my id and card and was told the a $50.00 hold had to be placed on my card for incidentals
when I finally went up to my room I thought "are they kidding " the room phone did not have a phone there were holes in the wall, paint chipping, off the bathroom wall and door, I pulled back the head board to plug in the lamp and saw layers of accumulated dust, the dresser had chips and and was also dusty. I could feel the springs in the mattress, I had the worse back ache after staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: not to stay at this hotel Americas Best Value you will do better to say at a hotel in Berkley on un...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Having read many of the reviews for this place (mostly 1-star), I feel compelled to offset those reviews slightly. I stayed here for one night towards the end of October. First, a few words about the area. As an SF Bay Area resident, it's well-known that the area around Civic Center is on the somewhat seedier side, but it isn't so bad that I would avoid it at all costs for safety reasons. That said, it is pretty likely you'll encounter homeless people nearby (as you will throughout downtown SF). This hotel isn't right on Market St, so it isn't quite as bad.

My room was on the smaller side; enough space for two beds, and some walking area, but not much else. The building itself is old, so the rooms have sort of an old apartment feel. A little more interior design would help; they are pretty plain rooms as-is. The bathroom was reasonably clean. There was a heat lamp/dish thing provided, since the building's internal systems are probably broken or inefficient. There was no phone in the room, but many people now have these things called cell phones. No microwave, no fridge, TV on the smaller side, power outlets are kind of harder to reach, so they have extension cords snaking around the room. Overall, the rooms are okay if you're not too picky about decor and amenities, and if your main objective is to have a place to sleep and shower.

The breakfast area in the lobby is cute. There is a dark roast, and a lighter roast, and decaf, and those little flavored coffee creamers. There's also decent muffins, and toast, and that's about it. In the afternoon/evening, they had warm Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies, which were pretty good. Overall, a limited selection, but the quality isn't too bad.

Also, they do need to get rid of that confusing Abigail sign. But overall, considering the relatively convenient location and the lower-end price, I think this is a solid 2.5-3 star value, meaning quite acceptable as a place for sleeping and showering (and maybe breakfast), as long as you're not going to be shocked at the realities of life in the city (like having drunk bums in your vicinity).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surprise, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place has got to be the worst place in the world to stay at! It is located at Larkin & McAllister in San Francisco near Civic Center. As I pulled up to the hotel the first thing that I noticed was a large congregation of homeless people hanging out and around the front of the hotel. I witnessed a homeless man drop his pants and pee right there in front of the place! While trying to check in they couldn't locate my reservation but after 30 minutes they finally did. They charge a $50 deposit to your card when you check in that is not divulged to you when you book the room in hell. I get sent up to my cell I mean room and let me tell you prison cells are furnished nicer! Bed said it was manufactured for Marriott and this ain't the Marriott which tells you that the bed is used. There are 3 different colors of paint on the wall none of which match, the so called internet/wi-fi was hanging by wires and unusable, there was a pipe that was hanging out of the wall and there were holes around the pipe so that you could see into the room that is next to yours, the lighting fixtures were old and dated and hanging on for dear life, the furniture was old and broken and nasty, the floors looked like they hadn't been swept since Lincoln was president, the towels in the bathroom were dirty and old, it took multiple attempts at flushing before everything went down and if you took a shower you had better make it fast since the shower filled up with water faster than it was coming out of the shower head which makes you wonder where the water was coming from. There was so much traffic noise and yelling outside. Everytime anyone walked by the room you heard everything. There are NO PHONES or HEATERS in any of the rooms. If you want a hair dryer you have to check it out at the front desk like a library book and there is only one for the whole hotel! While waiting for a cab that night - one hotel guest came down and complained that they had no blankets in their room and the front desk clerk couldn't even give her one since she didn't have access to them - another guest's toilet didn't flush and the front desk clerk handed them a plunger because there was no one there to help them. When I went back to my room that night after a stop at Walgreens for Raid and Lysol I put the chair under the door to keep the vermin out! The next night you heard a pimp and his lady of distinction duking it out in the alley right next to the hotel. I left the hotel so damn early that morning because I couldn't sleep for fear of what may happen to me - I figured I was safer sitting at the airport all day trying to fly by standby than staying at that hotel for another minute. They claim that they serve breakfast but toast and juice don't cut it! I am pretty sure that they use this place for other things when unsuspecting tourists aren't around. I kid you not that I was just waiting for Norman Bates to be waiting for me in the shower.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel - only bad ones! You would be better off sleeping in a cardbo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
satish p, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Im so sorry for your experience here at Americas Best Value Inn. I assure you that we do try to provide the best customer service and quality of the hotel that we can. We are doing upgrades in the hotel as the hotel is under new ownership and I can assure you that many upgrades have been done. The rooms are cleaned everyday by trained housekeeping and we have painted the room that you were in. The paint you say that is not matching is called an accent wall which that color compliments the other walls. New hardwood floors have been put in just 2 months ago. As for the holes in the walls, we have sprinklers in the walls as per fire code in San Francisco and I can assure you that you cannot see into another person's room. Our front desk does have towels, blankets, deodorant, shaving razors, shaving cream, hair combs,toothbrushes, colgate, and more amenities for the guests complimentary if they forget toiletries as towels and blankets are put into every room.
I hope you can give us another chance to show you that we do not want our guests feeling the way you do about our property. Thanks
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Despite its fine location, this hotel is terrible: infrastructure is awful (no phone in rooms!!!, among others), service is poor as in no other (say, we asked for extra blankets and got no blankets; we needed an extra night but staff did NOT book it although they said it was done, and we asked for it several times. We were almost left out and we believe we didn't pay the proper rate... they even forgot to confirm our shuttle to the airport. We almost missed our plane because of them!!!). Almost every day we found our room as we left it in the morning (no housekeeping!)... not to mention a number of other defficiencies (elevator, breakfast, temp control...).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies for your experience with the Americas Best Value Inn Civic Center. I will look into the non communication issue you claim for the shuttle and the blankets with my front desk staff and will address it accordingly. We have just upgraded our breakfast to have Oatmeal, two blends of coffee, cranberry, orange, apple juice, freshly baked muffins, wheat and white toast, 3 flavors of creamers, and over 8 different varieties of teas. On your next visit to San Francisco I hope you can give us another opportunity to show you that we are a preferred hotel to stay with in San Francisco because of our location, customer service, and quality of the hotel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start? What an absolute joke. I wouldn't even consider allowing my dog to stay here. I didn't take any of the other bad reviews seriously... & paid the price!

1. My wife & 3 year old arrived late after 2 flights to be greeted by a drunk homeless bum at the the reception area. I think he was in there 2 scab the free coffee. My son was quite frightened after the bum fell off the stool, and stumbled around like an idiot. None of this seemed to bother the staff behind the desk. She didn't bother to have him removed or call another staff member.
2. The old 1920's lift kept getting stuck. Had 2 carry our 6 large bags up 2 the room (no staff assistance offered)
3. Arrived at our room to be greeted by the delightful scent of URINE. It was absolutely unbearable. After advising the staff of the problem, she gave me the key card to our NEXT room.
4. Upon arriving arriving on our next floor, we were all greeted by a different smell...MARAJUANA! And no it wasnt just a whiff. I couldnt describe how angry i was after my 3 year old asked me 'whats that smell dad?' Down I went again to the reception desk. Due to the time of night & how tired we were, I thought I'd give it one last shot at staying in a half decent room for the night. The staff member gave me the key card 2 our 3rd room.
5. We arrived in the 3rd room. Nor this room, or the other two looked anything like the pictures advertised on the net. The bed furniture was old, run down. The windows looked like they had never been cleaned.
6. There is no 'city view' from the room (as advertised) .The hotel view is entirely blocked by the old building across the street.
7. The free wifi didn't work in our room or in the reception area.
8. The 'continental breakfast' is pretty much just toast and awful tasting coffee. I asked the manager for some milk for my sons porridge. He told me that they didn't have the facities to keep milk cold.... What the??
9. Taxi drivers dont know where 'Americas Best Value Inn Civic center' is located due to the fact that it is actually called the 'Abigail Inn' and not advertised as that first name.

Please take my review seriously. I am by no means a fussy person & have stayed in hotels all over the world & have never had such a disappointing experience. What a waste of my money. Be warned people, don't do it! Take these reviews seriously!

• Stayed September 2012
satish p, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a response for our hotel. I am concerned that you had a experience of stepping over bums and drunks during your visit to ABVI Civic Center. Im not sure what area you were in, but I assure you we do not have drunks or bums laying out in front of our hotel. San Francisco is a very small city and the difference of one block can change a neighborhood. Perhaps on your tour of San Francisco, you may of come across some unfortunate people. We are located cross the street from City Hall, Asian Art Museum, nextdoor to Hastings Law College, the Federal Building, and more. We are sure that we do not have vomit or bums inside or outside of our hotel loitering.
Also we do not advertise that we are located near Fisherman's Wharf. We are a 10-15 minute cab ride away from there. Our hotel name is Americas Best Value Inn Civic Center, which puts us in the Civic Center/Theater District. I apologize for any confusion.
Austin, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a disgusting hotel, with broken furniture in the rooms, filthy carpets, extension cords arond the floor. It is NOT at Fisherman's Wharf, it is in the Tenderloin District. When you walk the street you have to step over vomit piles and drunks and drug addicts.

This place is so disgusting, I washed my luggage when retruning.

Room Tip: Everything here is dirty and disgusting. If you stay here, bring a body condom so you tough nothing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!