“Luxurious relaxation at affordable prices!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1625 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94115 (Formerly Miyako Hotel San Francisco) (Japantown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% off
Ranked #71 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco Bay Area
“Luxurious relaxation at affordable prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Can't ask for more in terms of comfortable accommodation. What a lovely hotel in San Francisco's charming Japan Town. Convenient to other parts of the city by bus! this fine hotel offers lovely amenities at very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Higher up is better as street noise at lower levels may impact sleep
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
It's a pleasure to be able to lend the convenience and comforts of our site to your San Francisco travels, and we thank you for offering this kind feedback of your stay, It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, and we encourage you to reach out again the next time you're in the area. All our best, and thanks again for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed here 3 nights during my business trip because of car pool with my company colleague who lives in Sutter st.

Location is not bad because this hotel is located in Japanese town, so it will very good for someone who prefer to eat Japanese style food.

Room condition is little bit complicated.
I stayed at a suit with corner view, but it's too old & noisy when fan runs especially during night, so I couldn't sleep well during the nights.

So, my recommendation is:
Someone who should stay this area should choose this hotel because around this neighborhood, this hotel is one of most choice, but if you can stay in downtown like near Square, you never don't need to stay this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We're happy to have welcomed you to our site, and we'e appreciative of your feedback regarding our offerings. We're happy that your overall impression was a favorable one, and we apologize if elements of this visit fell marginally short of the mark. With ongoing upgrades in the works, we hope that you'll reach out again and afford us the opportunity to showcase the renovated property we're proud to extol as our own. All out best until then, and we hope to host you again soon!
salt lake city, ut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I needed a hotel near the Civic Center for a conference and my usuals in the Financial District seemed overpriced. So I decided to return to my old neighborhood, Pacific Heights, where I lived for many years. But I don't like Victorian inns, so I decided to try the Kabuki, which I had always been curious about. I got off BART at the Civic Center and walked to the Kabuki (one rollerbag, not too much of a shlep; would not do it at night). The front desk ladies were very sweet and I was given a room on the 7th floor with a small shared balcony and a fabulous view. The room was, as others have noted, a bit in need of some TLC, but very clean and lovely. The bathroom, with a deep soaking tub and connected shower, was elegant. The room had two comfortable beds, a large closet, and desk. The internet was fast. One night I ordered room service and the food (sashimi) was excellent as well as the service. The room had a Kourig coffee machine with no half-and-half or sugar offered. However, across Post St. is a sweet little cafe, Yakini, with excellent pastries and sweet potato lattes. Since Fillmore Street holds no surprises for me, I spent all of my free time exploring Japantown and learning about its history. I knew the area had been razed in the 1960s and that Japantown had been built to replace it but I had not known the post-WWII racial politics involved. The shops were just as intriguing, offering books, music, stationery, ceramics, and wonderful food. The highlight of my trip was the hour I spent at the Kabuki Spa, at the communal baths. It was relaxing and reviving. Another was "Big Joe," the extremely helpful Kabuki doorman who took care of all of my needs and refused my last tip saying "You've already taken care of me." The only downside: I would have liked some information in the room about basic things like room service and check out time (I had to look it up online). Also, the shared balcony was a little creepy in the sense that it prevented you from sleeping with the sliding door open and enjoying the magically fresh San Francisco breeze off the Pacific Ocean. All in all, however, this was a unique experience in San Francisco which reminded me how no matter how much time you have lived or spent in the City, there is still more to explore.

Room Tip: Higher up = better view and more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
It's such a pleasure to welcome you back to San Francisco and to share our Hotel Kabuki and area with you. As you've addressed, the city is vast and there's always something new to explore and experience, so we're thankful to have had the opportunity to offer you our site and services this time around. We're thrilled that the hospitality of our team set the mark for your enjoyable stay, and we hope to share much more of this hallmark with you in your travels ahead. With so much of our hospitality left to explore, we hope that you'll reach out to our team again with your future reservation needs. Until then, we wish you our best and offer our thanks for your sentiments.
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Kabuki for a couple nights on a recent visit to San Francisco. We enjoyed our stay - nice room, comfortable sleeps, pleasant front desk staff, good location. The hotel seems busy and hard-working; it's not super fancy, but I think it's a solid choice in the area - very close to transit, and lots to explore in the area. I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thanks for being a guest of Hotel Kabuki and for reaching out with these thoughtful words of your stay. It's certainly a pleasure to be able to welcome you to our site and city and to hear that the efforts of our team lent comfort to your stay and ease to your explorations. We'd love to welcome you back again soon, and we encourage you to reach out to the team the next time you're in the area!
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel was very accommodating and nice not fancy and definitely not luxury but quiet, near good Japantown food but most exceptional were the staff. From the time you pulled into the driveway you had great service. I found it odd that it was super bowl sunday and their bar/grill was closed and also the rooms were older and needed some repairs but in general very clean and comfortable and 5 star customer service.

Green Features: ENERGY STAR kitchen appliances Landscaping designed to minimize flooding Toiletries w/ recycled packaging Local plants in garden Staff training on green practices Energy saving guest room controls
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
We're thrilled to hear that our outgoing services set the stage for your memorable stay at our Hotel Kabuki, and we thank you for taking the opportunity to share this review with us. As we are continuing to perform upgrades and renovations across the property, we hope to welcome you back soon and to share revamped spaces that mirror the unparalleled hospitality you've come to expect of our property. All our best until then, and we encourage you to reach out again the next time you're in the city.
Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Hotel Kabuki provides good service, attractive and comfortable rooms, fabulous shower and great location for exploring many nearby neighborhoods. For all these reasons, Hotel Kabuki is a great value. The hotel bar/restaurant serves great cocktails.

Room Tip: Higher rooms facing West have lovely views of sunset and the Japan Center Tower.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We're thrilled to hear of the value you speak of our property, Alice, and we very much look forward to sharing more of it with you soon. It;s a pleasure to offer you the balance of regional accessibility and warm hospitality, and we're excited to share more of them both with you in your travels ahead. Many thanks for the kind review, and all our best until we see you again!
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and i stayed here for our 32 anniversary. I was disappointed that I had requested an early check-in by only an hour, as we had reservations for an event, they would not accommodate us, had to check our luggage and rush out, got back late, still had to check in and they couldn't find out luggage.
The rooms are a bit dated but we had a corner room which was a good size and I enjoyed the Japanese decor and wrap around balcony. When I sat on the bed it felt hard as rock but ended up being very comfortable and I slept well. The elevator was broken (there was a service elevator available) and a few other minor inconveniences (I HATE the Keruig coffee maker! and the shower was a little odd) but overall a very good value for SF and not a bad location, also good value on parking. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our Hotel Kabuki to share in your special occasion and for reaching out with this review of the experience. We aim to afford our guests with every service offering we're able to, and we're sorry that we did not have a room available for early check-in at the time of your visit. We'd love the opportunity to be able to host you again and to invite you back to experience the many upgrades underway across our property, and we encourage you to reach out to our team again soon. All our best, and happy anniversary to you both!

Been to Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!