“Cool hotel, fun location, but bad room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1625 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94115 (Formerly Miyako Hotel San Francisco) (Japantown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Full American Breakfast
Ranked #62 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Cool hotel, fun location, but bad room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were really excited to stay here on a recent trip, but were disappointed with the room. We booked this room using a points program, and when we checked in were told that we were "upgraded" to the traditional Japanese suite. I was really excited by this, as the exterior and lobby were beautiful and I figured the room would be as well.

When we got into our room, we were excited - the sleeping area is partitioned off with screened doors, and it had beautiful lighting. When we turned on the lights, however, and opened the doors - it revealed a room that hadn't been kept up very well. I felt like we were put in the room because we booked it with points and therefore they didn't want to waste a nice room on us. And, my points were equivalent to almost $250, so it wasn't like I pricelined it for $20 or something. I assumed we wouldn't be getting a premium room, but I did expect it to be the standard quality of the hotel overall.

The carpeting had stains in areas, the screened wall had a hole in it, our comforter on the floor bed had a rip in it and was clearly pretty old otherwise, the robe in the closet looked dingy (although I'm sure it was actually clean, just worn), and the bathroom also looked worn (rust around shower head and faucets, and the windows were very breezy and let a lot of noise in. All in all, the room felt like a 2-star property, not a 4-star.

That said, I feel like maybe it was this suite, because the pictures on the website make the other rooms look much nicer. And again, once you get into the lobby it seems like an entirely different hotel. The grounds were kept impeccably, and the location is amazing. I loved Japantown and wished we had more time to stay there.

The staff were very nice, and had we stayed there longer I probably would have asked for a different room, but we were in and out overnight (leaving at 3am), so I figured it didn't matter.

Room Tip: Don't go with the traditional japanese suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear annecarlisle,

I am so disheartened by your review. Our Japanese suites are supposed to offer a serene representation of Eastern hospitality. It seems we failed, and I sincerely apologize. I am happy that you found Hotel Kabuki's team to be helpful and that you enjoyed the public areas. I hope we will have a chance to regain your confidence. Please call me to discuss all of your feedback so we can improve our standards.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Kabuki for five nights to celebrate our honeymoon. On arrival, we were extremely tired after a 10-hour flight, and the staff were fantastic in making us feel at ease and comfortable. The combination of Japanese service and Californian hospitality was really incredible, and we absolutely loved being right on the doorstep to the Japan Center.

Prior to arrival, the hotel kindly upgraded us to a corner room free of charge due to the special occasion. We loved the big windows and slept soundly each night. One one occasion we had a problem with noise from guests in the next room which was quickly and subtly resolved by the hotel staff.

We also really enjoyed the food and bar service - the bartender was extremely friendly, and when we realised the bar would be closed on the last two nights of our stay, we were pretty disappointed!

The one slight complaint I have (and it is very small) is that we were disturbed by the cleaners despite the 'Do not disturb' sign. I also read that other guests were disturbed in the same way, so I assume this is normal for the hotel. Luckily we were already awake when they knocked, but I think it would be better for the maid to respect the sign, just in case guests are jet-lagged and sleeping.

On the whole, I'd definitely stay at the Kabuki again. The location is perfect for bars and restaurants just a few blocks away, without being right in the thick of the action. We really liked having a quiet, peaceful spot to retreat to after our busy days in San Francisco. (Best wishes to the barman Bill who made our stay really fun and enjoyable!)

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, ask for a room on a higher floor. We weren't disturbed by traf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear science_299,

Congratulations! We are so happy we were able to be a part of your honeymoon. I am delighted to read about your stay and that the service made you feel at ease and comfortable. I will pass your accolades to our entire team. In regards, to the disturbance by our housekeeping team, I apologize. I have shared your feedback, and it will improve us. We are thrilled you were able to have such a great experience at Hotel Kabuki. Please know that I am always at your service. See you soon!

san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I'm currently on my first night of two at the kabuki, we've stayed here numerous times. Though we usually get the sauna sweet- but this time we opted for the standard king. It's on the fifth floor- and I like to view but not so much every noise the neighbor makes. I can hear the curtain draw on their room... I can hear low conversations! (which make me wonder about us )! But I can hear the little utterances of them not just normal speaking! Not private at all... I mean we are on our anniversary night out- if we were to get loud....
Anyway- this is not the only issue- there were problems with bookin the place and once I got the "best" deal we forget we have to pay $40 to park and etc and etc..
I have to say the location is wonderful, the price isn't too bad, and the sauna suites with your own Japanese style soaking tub is the way to go here- but pay the extra otherwise you'll fet sent to the 5th floor thinking your getting special
treatment and really your just going further away from all the good stuff.

• Stayed September 2012
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear nutbass,

I am truly sorry for all your inconveniences, and I wish that we had met during your stay. The Hotel Kabuki wants every guest to having an amazing experience; we should have done our best for your anniversary. Please contact me to discuss how we could have been better. Your feedback will be indispensible.

Cobb, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Wonderful ,,relaxing.............Comfortable and clean................................................
The soaking tub was great! ...............................Truly wonderful to relax and read a nice book ............... .................................... Wish I could have spent more time there!.........................

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Roberta A.,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to read about your amazing experience at the Hotel Kabuki. We hope you have a chance to return soon. In the interim, please know that I am at your service.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My mother and I stayed here for 9 days in September and loved the comfortable beds and quiet that allowed us to sleep soundly each night. Also liked that they wouldn't change sheets unless you requested to be kinder to the environment.
It was in JapanTown...that was a big plus because we had a choice of restaurants and shops to go to within a short walk. This was important for my mother who had knee problems.
It was also close (a few blocks away) from the UCSF affiliated Cancer Center.
I used the well appointed fitness room in the morning for my warm ups...since it was off season I was often alone in the room that had a big screen TV. My runs had a lot of steep hills in them but good for interval training.
The staff was very attentive. The elevators came rapidly. I parked in the parking garage just underneath the hotel...somewhat expensive ($11-20 per night) but so is everywhere else in San Francisco.
I had seen reviews about the "worn" look of the hotel. I noticed some like a chipped soap dish but that was minor compared to the comfort, quiet and numerous electrical outlets, also a big bathtub area.
All in all a nice experience in a luxury hotel for a reasonable price in San Francisco. Off season a direct phone call to the hotel might net you a reduced price from websites. I'd seriously think about booking here again next time.

Room Tip: My mom liked the deep tub and the adjoining shower area for Japanese-style bathing. There were real...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Michiko W,

I am so happy to read that you had a great stay at the Hotel Kabuki. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please contact me personally should you need any service.

Regards,

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were recommended this hotel as being close in location to a friend's apartment in San Francisco. I was using airline miles and since the hotel was available and the rate was comparable if not better than other similar hotels in the area I snagged it. Obviously close to Japantown, other tourist attractions not as close. However if you have your car or public transit knowledge you should be good. Parking was in a local garage that was accessible via elevator to the hotel. The street level exterior of the hotel is nothing special, but the gardens and the general decor is very cool and upscale. We did not use the bar/restaurant, but the menus and appearance of the facilities seemed very nice. Free wifi, great rooms, comfortable with nice beds, decor, bathroom, bath products and mini-bar. Very helpful and thoughtful staff. Best thing about the experience is that we were upgraded to a family suite, which had a second room separated by a sliding wooden door. Inside were two floor beds and a Japanese screen and cabinets. Honestly, we would not have known we had the extra room except we checked the door. Our infant son was able to stretch out on the floor and play and we kept our luggage out of the way in this second room. They also provided a bassinet for him to sleep in. The second room would have been great if one has older children. I imagine they gave us this room as a buffer to other guests but we weren't complaining!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Giggles and Gaggles,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that your famiy was well taken care of, and the team was very helpful and thoughtful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please reach out to me personally if you need any service.

easton, maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The location in Japantown is great if you want to take advantage of Japantown. I am a walker; so being fairly far from most of the top places to visit in SF is not a problem.
I expected it to have more of an authentic flavor of Japan and the culture.
Not really.
Won't bother to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are facing one of the busy streets, get a high floor. Facing the interior garden is less nois...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear MissOleMiss,

I wanted to take a moment and apologize; I am so sorry that you were dissapointed with your stay at the Hotel Kabuki. Our goal is to create a serene enviroment with a blend of traditional Eastern decor with modern Western amenties. It seems we were not up to your standards. I would like to regain your confidence and prove to you that the Hotel Kabuki will exceed your expectations. Please call the hotel at anytime and ask for Imran; I will do my utmost.

Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!