We were really excited to stay here on a recent trip, but were disappointed with the room. We booked this room using a points program, and when we checked in were told that we were "upgraded" to the traditional Japanese suite. I was really excited by this, as the exterior and lobby were beautiful and I figured the room would be as well.
When we got into our room, we were excited - the sleeping area is partitioned off with screened doors, and it had beautiful lighting. When we turned on the lights, however, and opened the doors - it revealed a room that hadn't been kept up very well. I felt like we were put in the room because we booked it with points and therefore they didn't want to waste a nice room on us. And, my points were equivalent to almost $250, so it wasn't like I pricelined it for $20 or something. I assumed we wouldn't be getting a premium room, but I did expect it to be the standard quality of the hotel overall.
The carpeting had stains in areas, the screened wall had a hole in it, our comforter on the floor bed had a rip in it and was clearly pretty old otherwise, the robe in the closet looked dingy (although I'm sure it was actually clean, just worn), and the bathroom also looked worn (rust around shower head and faucets, and the windows were very breezy and let a lot of noise in. All in all, the room felt like a 2-star property, not a 4-star.
That said, I feel like maybe it was this suite, because the pictures on the website make the other rooms look much nicer. And again, once you get into the lobby it seems like an entirely different hotel. The grounds were kept impeccably, and the location is amazing. I loved Japantown and wished we had more time to stay there.
The staff were very nice, and had we stayed there longer I probably would have asked for a different room, but we were in and out overnight (leaving at 3am), so I figured it didn't matter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a unique blend of Eastern and Western influences, Hotel Kabuki offers sleek and serene accommodations in the heart of Japantown. Unwind in style. Our rooms offer a refined and serene ambiance and an aesthetic that marries Eastern and Western sensibilities. Some feature luxurious amenities like Japanese-style soaking tubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kabuki Hotel San Francisco
- Miyako Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Kabuki San Francisco
- Kabuki San Francisco