“Good location, friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sleep Over Sauce to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Sleep Over Sauce
131 - 135 Gough St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Albion House Inn) (The Haight)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Good location, friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Above a restaurant with a few rooms. No permanent front desk. Very friendly service. Room was good, could be a bit noisy, but not bad. All in all, a good place to stay ! Would be happy to stay again.
All day cereal/fruit breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the first two nights of our trip to NoCal. This place reminded me of a really nice hostel with private bathrooms. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and we definitely had more room than I expected we would...the 24 hour continental breakfast was a nice, but unexpected perk too. There were plenty of good places to eat and nice looking bars in the area as well.
Just a tip though: if you can not sleep through street noise (especially on the wkend), this is not the place for you.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of days whilst at a conference at Moscone Centre.

The rooms are fine and usable. The breakfast is sufficient, but nothing to get excited about - bagels, juice and cream cheese. But their availability is appreciated none the less!

However the walk from the subway station back to the hotel at night can be unnerving. And being a guy who has lived in central London all his life, I think I've seen my fair share of dodgy areas, and the 5 minute walk back from the station ranks up there!

Good stay none the less.

• Stayed February 2012
Yonkers, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My room was comfortable (my mother and two kids and I stayed) as well as the beds. The common area felt like I was in a college dorm and drinks and continental type breakfast were available anytime. Better suited for young adult/college types. They need to sound-proof the small rooms so people can get a better night's rest. We stayed here because of location but I will not be a return visitor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed over at Sleep Over Sauce for two nights. The room I picked has a detached bathroom. While the bathroom is private to me, but it is that it is still inconvenient for me to have to get out of the room to use the bathroom facilities. Additionally, the room is also too small to accomodate two person comfortably. I had only room to put a single luggage. So for those traveling in pairs, please take note. The last thing is that the sound-proofing of the room is very bad. I can literally hear people talking as they walk pass my room so for light-sleepers, this is a big negative.

The good things. Firstly, the hotel has a pretty decent business center that allow guests to use the phone to make any calls within the US for free. Also you can use the printer to print anything you need e.g. boarding pass, map directions etc. Staff are also pretty friendly. They have a common room with a big TV, board games and some fruits plus snacks. But I hardly see anyone there other than to grab a simple bite.

Getting to fisherman's wharfs is pretty easy via light rail but takes about 40mins commute time. Getting to and fro from airport would take abit of effort. Firstly, from the hotel, walk to the light rail station which is about 200 meters away, take the light rail (cost US$2) to Civic Center (just a few stops away), then take BART to the San Francisco Airport (cost US$8.25). Total commute is about an hour and cost US$10.25.

Room Tip: For anyone who's particular about having ensuite bathroom, make sure you check first.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Comfortable, nice rooms. The staff is pleasant and helpful but they leave you alone unless you need them. Good value, convenient to public transportation. Continental breakfast available (fruit, bagels/bread, cold cereal) 24 hours per day, which is great for late arrival or if you want a midnight snack. The restaurant downstairs is extremely good. This is a great place if you're looking for something other than an American chain hotel -- it's really much more like a small European hotel, and if you're used to that you'll be happy at Sleep over Sauce. Two slightly negative comments: the rooms are fine, but they look fancier in the photos on the website than they really are; and the bathrooms were less than spotless. Not disgusting, but they needed some mildewcide. If the bathrooms had been better cared-for I would have given Sleep over Sauce an "Excellent" rating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I go to the Black and White Ball all the time. Our usually place had a significant rate hike so I went looking for something else. I didn't start looking until a month before the Ball so a lot of my options were limited.

This place popped up during my search and the name intrigued me. It got good reviews from others and was in walking distance to the Ball so I booked it.

The on-line pictures make the room and bath look better than it was but it wasn't an issue. We booked the Haight Ashbury King room. The room is nothing fancy but it's funky (in a good way) and does the job.Some might consider the room to be on the small side but it was fine for us. The high ceilings helped make the room feel more spacious. We even had a little balcony. The most important thing was the bed and it was great. I am a very light sleeper and I slept all night. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

One important thing to note: THIS LOCATION DOES NOT HAVE SECURED PARKING. Your choice is to park on the street or at a parking garage 4 blocks away. I didn't find that out until I called them the day before our arrival. And I only found out because I asked. My hubby bought a new car and want to drive it to SF but needed to make sure that there was a garage to park it in.( I called the parking garage and was told that they would be full by the time we arrived around 6:00.) There's no mention of this on their website, at least that I could find and felt that the parking situation was misrepresented. Having voiced that to the nice guy that checked us in, the situation was resolved to our satisfaction. He allowed us to stay parked in the passenger loading zone right in front of the restaurant. We were happy campers indeed.

We loved the neighborhood. There are lot of shops and restaurants in addition to Sauce a few blocks away. We walked to and from the Black and White Ball (Civic Center) in about 10 minutes and didn't have any issues walking back at 1:00 AM.

Room Tip: Their king room was the furthest away from Gough Street and was quiet considering Gough is a highly...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Sleep Over Sauce? Share your experiences!