“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Good stay! Cheap and the standard was good accordingly. A bit sceptical to sharing baths, but worked out pretty good. Only thing that was annoying was thin walls (some idoit was watching TV all night) and band practices which is in the building, and ongoing for early till late.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is in the center but there is no parking. Our car was towed away. The rooms are clean and the price per night is cheap, but you have to share the bath and restroom with all other guests. Some rooms overlook to inner yeard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Saw a mouse run across my room. Still made me pay, claiming since there is food in the hotel you will get mice. How about you maintain and clean once in awhile. Wort place I have ever styled at in my entire life. No parking, no bathrooms in the rooms either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in a queen room on the 2nd floor. It has a small fridge, a sink, and a tv. The room was clean and comfortable, and when it got too cold the staff happily supplied me with a heater. The staff were very welcoming and friendly.
The only thing that would improve the place would be more showers, two on the 2nd floor is not enough for the number of rooms. It would be if people did not spend 20 minutes or more on personal grooming, but unfortunately most of the other guests did not seem aware that they were sharing the facilities.
I would definitely stay here again, though certainly not at peak season unless I shelled out for an ensuite room!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

we stayed there for 4 nights, in a double bed room on the 2nd floor. The room is clean and tidy with a little sink which is convenient for us when we need to wash hands, brush teeth and get water for boiling. The double bed is smaller than expected as I thought the beds in US tend to be bigger (at least for those motels/hotels I stayed before). Though, still good enough for us both Asian girls. There was some kind of 'scent' or 'smell' around the room and corridor. With an insensitive nose, I still can smell it and it is not a pleasant smell to me.

The shared bathroom is not too far away from our room and it is for one single person. We were lucky that no one really ever 'fighted' with us for the bathroom maybe because we were there on weekdays. Bathroom was clean and tidy. But the bathroom door bangs quite loudly. Whoever stays close to the bathroom may be quite annoyed if there are many guests.

The electricity sockets/outlets are not set well enough. All the power cords fell off easily after plugged (the connection is too loose). We often found things were not being charged or with electricity in the middle of nowhere. The wifi is okay. The room was tidied up nicely everyday we got back to the room.

We met 3 staffs (girls) at the reception at different times but only one of them is nice and helpful. There is no elevator but staircases to each floor. Since we had big and heavy luggages, it was really difficult for us to carry them upstairs and downstairs. This was also one important consideration when we were thinking whether to stay at Encore Express. We somehow saw from others' posts and somewhere that we could ask for help when we were there. So we thought it was not a problem. We were lucky that there were guys helped us with the luggages. One was a guest and the other one was the owner. Though, when we were ready to check out, we asked the reception girl if anyone can help us with the luggages, she said they did not have such service. I was like oh god how am I gonna carry the heavy thing? Until the owner appeared, he voluntarily helped us. The girl from the reception still insisted they had no such service. X/

Anyway, this hotel is value for money given the rate is very affordable with the satisfactory facilities and accessible location. Though, the service needs to be improved.

• Stayed December 2012
graz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a hotel since I needed a place just to sleep over night, as I spent the entire day always outside. The location of the hotel is excellent. You can walk to all the major places – the financial district is about 20minutes walk. Macy’s and the market are about 10-15 minutes of walk. It’s not even difficult to find all the places, you just go straight down the street.

The hotel itself is also very nice. The rooms are very clean. They make it every morning. The bathroom is also very clean. I was on the second floor. It wasn’t loud or anything like that. The bathroom was always free when I wanted to use it and always very clean. I can recommend this place to anybody who is looking for a nice place with a great location and for a good price. I paid for 4 nights about 220 US $.

There is also a parking garage just two houses away from the hotel. Overnight parking (9pm in and by 9am out) for 4 US $. You can also park the car outside on the street. Parking is free Sundays and every evening from 6pm – 9am. Otherwise you have to pay 1 hour 2 US$. However I would recommend to everyone, if you don’t need a car desperately, then don’t use it in San Francisco. Parking is so difficult and extremely expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Encore Express Hotel? Share your experiences!