“Such a wonderful stay in San Francisco! Will be back, for sure.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
Save Saved
You added Union Street Inn to your Saves list
2229 Union St, San Francisco, CA 94123   |
Ranked #2 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Such a wonderful stay in San Francisco! Will be back, for sure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We chose to stay at the Union Street Inn based off of reviews we had read from other travelers that enjoyed their stay. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint one bit. It was such a welcome retreat from being out all day to come to a "home" that was so welcoming. We loved the tea and coffee that you could help yourself to at any time of the day (and even take with you on the go!). Ingenious idea. The breakfasts were out of this world; a bowl filled with tons of healthful and different fruits, delicious banana bread or muffins, amazing eggs. The fresh squeezed orange juice was also fantastic. We loved the room we stayed in, the ambiance of the entire inn, and the general environment was just fantastic from the outdoor area in the back, to the sitting area where we had breakfast. The location of the inn was perfect for us as well - pretty close to everything and very easy to find our way back. The staff was just fantastic, friendly, and so incredibly hospitable with everything. We felt like we were staying with friends. This was so much better than a hotel stay. We'd recommend the Union Street Inn to anyone considering staying in San Francisco and when we get back (which we hope to be very soon!) you can bet we'll be making reservations here again. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The road was right outside of our room (the New Yorker), and even being situated at the front of the...

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you want to experience the feel of the city without feeling like a visitor this is a great option. The proximity to the bridge and park is perfect for a run and no better way to visit the GGB and see the bay. The Union Street location is wonderful and gives you a true sense of the local culture. The inn itself is very warm and comfortable. I have always been apprehensive about staying at a B&B but this experience has changed my mind. Getting to know the other guests over a glass of wine or morning coffee was pleasant (this coming from somewhat of an introvert) and the staff could not have been more genuine, welcoming and interesting. Breakfast is not to be missed.

Skip the Wharf but visit Alcatraz!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage which was cozy and comfortable although a more expensive option. Although...
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'll start off by saying that I would highly recommend (and have already recommended) the Union Street Inn to anyone looking for a classy and warm stay in San Francisco. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. The people were very friendly, the place was gorgeous (with character!), great location, and fantastic food. My husband and I stayed here for our wedding in the Marina District. It really was perfect for us and for the occasion.

A few highlights: The morning of our wedding, I went for a long run and was back too late for breakfast. But without my asking, one of the kind owners made my favorite breakfast... she knew I would need it for the day ahead! This really helped the day start off just right. Later on, I got ready in the room with my bridesmaids and mom and photographer. The room (and garden) were the perfect setting for our wedding preparations (and the associated photos), and I will forever have very fond memories of this time.

That being said, there was a big stressor that I feel I should mention. Months before we stayed at Union Street Inn, we booked the room and were in contact with the owners. I had asked if it would be okay to store my wedding flowers (5 bouquets) in their refrigerators. They deliberated over this, then gave me a very enthusiastic yes (with many exclamation points). I thought, great!, I don't have to worry about this. But when I arrived the day before our wedding with the flowers, the man who greeted me had no idea that they were meant to store them, and the woman (who would later cook me the amazing breakfast) was quite distraught and rude about the situation. She almost broke my bridal bouquet by trying to shove it into a tiny beer fridge. I was almost in tears, as this was very stressful for someone with a lot on her shoulders who thought she had arranged a good solution months ago. In the end, we stored the flowers in the garage, and they were kind enough to give me a mister to keep them hydrated and cool. Tensions softened, and the rest of the stay was great, but I did have my doubts in that first hour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the lovely Carriage House in the garden of the Inn a spart of my wifes 50th birthday treat. We stayed for 4 nights leaving on the 4th of November.

The room was great, good sized comfy bed, good quality furniture and a gorgeous huge spa bath. In the room was some fruit and chocolates which was a nice touch. Being at the back of the grounds the room was silent and we heard nothing but the birds singing each morning.

We had our breakfast in the inn itself, we could have had it in our room, but we would have missed engaging with the fellow guests which is one of the best parts of staying in a small BB opposed to large hotels. The breakfasts were excellent, a superb bowl of fresh fruit salad and a range of hot breakfasts home produced each day - all delicious. There was also a home made muffin or cake to accompany the meal. In the evening, although our schedue only allowed us to benefit from this once, guests could have a selection of cheeses and crackers and home made cakes all washed down with wine - what could be better!

The location is excellent, as mentioned by other contributors, close to many fine shops and good bars and restaurants.

Although not a problem to us a couple of things to consider might be - if you are driving there is nowhere to park within the premises but the inn does offer discounted parking at a car park about 300 metres away. we used this for the days that we rented a vehicle.

The inn is accessed via a series of about 12 or 13 steep steps at the front so if you have mobility issues that could be a problem - I may have missed something here in case there is alternative way into the property so check with the owner if this is a concern.

A couple of minor improvements might be possible - firstly, a little brighter lighting in the garden for people going to the carriage house and a more comfy chair in the carriage house would be nice.

We would like to thank Jane and her team for giving us a lovely holiday break and much prefered her inn to the impersonal Beverley Wilshire we used in LA.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter than those at the front of the property. The Carriage house i...
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the English Garden room for 3 nights for the second part of our honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the elegance of the house, the soft linens, the AMAZING breakfasts and the genuine people. The B&B is in a wonderful location within walking distance to some of the best restaurants, bars and shops in San Francisco!

We were able to do full days of sight seeing (golden gate bridge, Haight St, Lombard St, Golden Gate park etc) and each evening come back to wine and cheese in the beautiful parlour room. However, we found that the best part of this B&B was the genuine service and care shown by Kit the innkeeper and David the Inn owner. Kit was more than happy to show us the best routes to travel and had a wonderful knowledge of where was the best place to go in Cow Hollow for almost anything we needed! She was an absolute pleasure to meet and my wife is still going on about her banana bread.
David was also more than happy to share his knowledge of local cuisine and really went the extra mile to ensure we were well looked after.

A stay at the Union St Inn is a must for anyone who appreciates great food, excellent service and genuine care! This was one of the highlights of our honeymoon that we will never forget. We will definitely be back again!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently travelled to the Sates for a conference and spent 3 nightsbefore in this lovely place . As a lone female traveller, it was lovely to meet up with other people for breakfast and again for drinks and cheese early evening.I had the English garden room at the back and could not fault it- the garden itself was particularly lovely place in which to sit after a long day's sightseeing.
As everyone says, the area is great-lots of very nice restaurants inhcluding Rose's Cafe, Betelnut andGamine and enjoyed them all and did not feel out of place by myself in any of them.
It was a15-20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and then I used the Hop on-Hop off buses which were very useful to get around and see quite a lot.
I left a folder in my room and the owners were quick to let me know about it and also to send on some papers that I needed- thanks Jane, David & Kit.
Would definitely recommend this lovely B & B to others- so much nicer than a big anonymous hotel!!

Room Tip: My room at the back was quiet and I had a balcony and garden view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had the New Yorker, next to reception and facing the street so was a little noisy, and we found the bed uncomfortable (we like rock hard mattresses though). Other than that the place is perfect. Location wise it was great to be able to walk the whole city, there are plenty of cafe and restaurants nearby (I'd recommend pizza at Rose's across the street). The breakfasts are delightful, best quality fruit, and the French toast is dangerously good. Our hosts were happy to cater to my other half's slightly picky eating by giving him plain toast rather than the really good stuff!
Whenever we came in during the afternoon there was always a new cake or some biscuits to try, and tea or coffee to go with them. There was also wine and other nibbles later on too.
Really friendly place, we had some great chats and met some great people here - I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Street Inn? Share your experiences!