“overall, very good, but with a stressor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
Save Saved
You added Union Street Inn to your Saves list
2229 Union St, San Francisco, CA 94123   |
Ranked #3 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
“overall, very good, but with a stressor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'll start off by saying that I would highly recommend (and have already recommended) the Union Street Inn to anyone looking for a classy and warm stay in San Francisco. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. The people were very friendly, the place was gorgeous (with character!), great location, and fantastic food. My husband and I stayed here for our wedding in the Marina District. It really was perfect for us and for the occasion.

A few highlights: The morning of our wedding, I went for a long run and was back too late for breakfast. But without my asking, one of the kind owners made my favorite breakfast... she knew I would need it for the day ahead! This really helped the day start off just right. Later on, I got ready in the room with my bridesmaids and mom and photographer. The room (and garden) were the perfect setting for our wedding preparations (and the associated photos), and I will forever have very fond memories of this time.

That being said, there was a big stressor that I feel I should mention. Months before we stayed at Union Street Inn, we booked the room and were in contact with the owners. I had asked if it would be okay to store my wedding flowers (5 bouquets) in their refrigerators. They deliberated over this, then gave me a very enthusiastic yes (with many exclamation points). I thought, great!, I don't have to worry about this. But when I arrived the day before our wedding with the flowers, the man who greeted me had no idea that they were meant to store them, and the woman (who would later cook me the amazing breakfast) was quite distraught and rude about the situation. She almost broke my bridal bouquet by trying to shove it into a tiny beer fridge. I was almost in tears, as this was very stressful for someone with a lot on her shoulders who thought she had arranged a good solution months ago. In the end, we stored the flowers in the garage, and they were kind enough to give me a mister to keep them hydrated and cool. Tensions softened, and the rest of the stay was great, but I did have my doubts in that first hour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the lovely Carriage House in the garden of the Inn a spart of my wifes 50th birthday treat. We stayed for 4 nights leaving on the 4th of November.

The room was great, good sized comfy bed, good quality furniture and a gorgeous huge spa bath. In the room was some fruit and chocolates which was a nice touch. Being at the back of the grounds the room was silent and we heard nothing but the birds singing each morning.

We had our breakfast in the inn itself, we could have had it in our room, but we would have missed engaging with the fellow guests which is one of the best parts of staying in a small BB opposed to large hotels. The breakfasts were excellent, a superb bowl of fresh fruit salad and a range of hot breakfasts home produced each day - all delicious. There was also a home made muffin or cake to accompany the meal. In the evening, although our schedue only allowed us to benefit from this once, guests could have a selection of cheeses and crackers and home made cakes all washed down with wine - what could be better!

The location is excellent, as mentioned by other contributors, close to many fine shops and good bars and restaurants.

Although not a problem to us a couple of things to consider might be - if you are driving there is nowhere to park within the premises but the inn does offer discounted parking at a car park about 300 metres away. we used this for the days that we rented a vehicle.

The inn is accessed via a series of about 12 or 13 steep steps at the front so if you have mobility issues that could be a problem - I may have missed something here in case there is alternative way into the property so check with the owner if this is a concern.

A couple of minor improvements might be possible - firstly, a little brighter lighting in the garden for people going to the carriage house and a more comfy chair in the carriage house would be nice.

We would like to thank Jane and her team for giving us a lovely holiday break and much prefered her inn to the impersonal Beverley Wilshire we used in LA.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter than those at the front of the property. The Carriage house i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the English Garden room for 3 nights for the second part of our honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the elegance of the house, the soft linens, the AMAZING breakfasts and the genuine people. The B&B is in a wonderful location within walking distance to some of the best restaurants, bars and shops in San Francisco!

We were able to do full days of sight seeing (golden gate bridge, Haight St, Lombard St, Golden Gate park etc) and each evening come back to wine and cheese in the beautiful parlour room. However, we found that the best part of this B&B was the genuine service and care shown by Kit the innkeeper and David the Inn owner. Kit was more than happy to show us the best routes to travel and had a wonderful knowledge of where was the best place to go in Cow Hollow for almost anything we needed! She was an absolute pleasure to meet and my wife is still going on about her banana bread.
David was also more than happy to share his knowledge of local cuisine and really went the extra mile to ensure we were well looked after.

A stay at the Union St Inn is a must for anyone who appreciates great food, excellent service and genuine care! This was one of the highlights of our honeymoon that we will never forget. We will definitely be back again!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently travelled to the Sates for a conference and spent 3 nightsbefore in this lovely place . As a lone female traveller, it was lovely to meet up with other people for breakfast and again for drinks and cheese early evening.I had the English garden room at the back and could not fault it- the garden itself was particularly lovely place in which to sit after a long day's sightseeing.
As everyone says, the area is great-lots of very nice restaurants inhcluding Rose's Cafe, Betelnut andGamine and enjoyed them all and did not feel out of place by myself in any of them.
It was a15-20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and then I used the Hop on-Hop off buses which were very useful to get around and see quite a lot.
I left a folder in my room and the owners were quick to let me know about it and also to send on some papers that I needed- thanks Jane, David & Kit.
Would definitely recommend this lovely B & B to others- so much nicer than a big anonymous hotel!!

Room Tip: My room at the back was quiet and I had a balcony and garden view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had the New Yorker, next to reception and facing the street so was a little noisy, and we found the bed uncomfortable (we like rock hard mattresses though). Other than that the place is perfect. Location wise it was great to be able to walk the whole city, there are plenty of cafe and restaurants nearby (I'd recommend pizza at Rose's across the street). The breakfasts are delightful, best quality fruit, and the French toast is dangerously good. Our hosts were happy to cater to my other half's slightly picky eating by giving him plain toast rather than the really good stuff!
Whenever we came in during the afternoon there was always a new cake or some biscuits to try, and tea or coffee to go with them. There was also wine and other nibbles later on too.
Really friendly place, we had some great chats and met some great people here - I cannot recommend it enough.

Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We recently stayed in the Carriage House and loved our stay here. While it is not a low-cost option, the price was fair. San Francisco is expensive, and at this property we got personal service, and AWESOME breakfast and sole use of the Carriage House - a secluded little cottage behind the main house. The room was lovely and nestled in the middle of a beautiful garden. The location is a little removed from Union/Market Square and Fisherman's wharf, but these were manageable to get to with a bus stop just steps from the Inn. Union Street also has a number of cafes, restaurants and shops. A great alternative to large corporate hotels.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Arranging the Mass for mother after she past was difficult from 2 and a 1/2 hours away. When searching for a place to stay near St. Vincent De Paul Church, I noticed the website for the Union Street Inn. I was worried because we could only stay one night. We had just adopted mother's very nervous cats and I was loathe to leave them. Would anyone understand my plight? From the moment I first spoke with Herb, I could feel his kindness and compassion washing over me. Not only were we allowed to book a lovely room, we were assured that we could stop by the Inn before Mass to change clothes and drop off the luggage. Kit met us with a warm smile and a great deal of reassurance that stopping in early was not an issue. She took charge of our bags and we headed off to the church. When we returned, there was a lovely fruit basket in our room as well as all of our luggage. Kit invited us to have a glass of wine, some cheese, and fresh fruit. She also had some of Jane's wine cake set out (NOT to be missed.) We sat in the gardens under Morning Glories, Angel Trumpet and tiny pink roses listening to soothing fountains until my husband realized that the Giant's game would soon be on. Kit pointed us just down the hill to the Balboa Cafe were we could have both a very good meal and the fun of jovial crowd who where all very much into the game. That night we stayed in the Holly Room. It was well appointed, very comfortable, and large enough to suit my husband whose tastes run toward huge, modern suites. We had meant to ask after the "feather bed" mattress pad that provided even a restless sleeper such as myself a perfect night but, we were so enthralled by fresh fruit, homemade waffles, and apple wood bacon the next morning that we forgot. It seemed all the other guests were in bliss as well! Everyone was chatting happily and we exchanged stories of our respective homes and information about the city. My only regret was not having more time to spend at the Inn and visiting the shops on Union Street. We look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Open the windows of your room for the soothing sound of the fountain and the scent of flowers as you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Street Inn? Share your experiences!