“Perfect in every way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Union Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Union Street Inn
You added Union Street Inn to your Saves list
2229 Union St, San Francisco, CA 94123   |
Ranked #3 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Perfect in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the English Garden room for 3 nights for the second part of our honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the elegance of the house, the soft linens, the AMAZING breakfasts and the genuine people. The B&B is in a wonderful location within walking distance to some of the best restaurants, bars and shops in San Francisco!

We were able to do full days of sight seeing (golden gate bridge, Haight St, Lombard St, Golden Gate park etc) and each evening come back to wine and cheese in the beautiful parlour room. However, we found that the best part of this B&B was the genuine service and care shown by Kit the innkeeper and David the Inn owner. Kit was more than happy to show us the best routes to travel and had a wonderful knowledge of where was the best place to go in Cow Hollow for almost anything we needed! She was an absolute pleasure to meet and my wife is still going on about her banana bread.
David was also more than happy to share his knowledge of local cuisine and really went the extra mile to ensure we were well looked after.

A stay at the Union St Inn is a must for anyone who appreciates great food, excellent service and genuine care! This was one of the highlights of our honeymoon that we will never forget. We will definitely be back again!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently travelled to the Sates for a conference and spent 3 nightsbefore in this lovely place . As a lone female traveller, it was lovely to meet up with other people for breakfast and again for drinks and cheese early evening.I had the English garden room at the back and could not fault it- the garden itself was particularly lovely place in which to sit after a long day's sightseeing.
As everyone says, the area is great-lots of very nice restaurants inhcluding Rose's Cafe, Betelnut andGamine and enjoyed them all and did not feel out of place by myself in any of them.
It was a15-20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and then I used the Hop on-Hop off buses which were very useful to get around and see quite a lot.
I left a folder in my room and the owners were quick to let me know about it and also to send on some papers that I needed- thanks Jane, David & Kit.
Would definitely recommend this lovely B & B to others- so much nicer than a big anonymous hotel!!

Room Tip: My room at the back was quiet and I had a balcony and garden view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had the New Yorker, next to reception and facing the street so was a little noisy, and we found the bed uncomfortable (we like rock hard mattresses though). Other than that the place is perfect. Location wise it was great to be able to walk the whole city, there are plenty of cafe and restaurants nearby (I'd recommend pizza at Rose's across the street). The breakfasts are delightful, best quality fruit, and the French toast is dangerously good. Our hosts were happy to cater to my other half's slightly picky eating by giving him plain toast rather than the really good stuff!
Whenever we came in during the afternoon there was always a new cake or some biscuits to try, and tea or coffee to go with them. There was also wine and other nibbles later on too.
Really friendly place, we had some great chats and met some great people here - I cannot recommend it enough.

Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We recently stayed in the Carriage House and loved our stay here. While it is not a low-cost option, the price was fair. San Francisco is expensive, and at this property we got personal service, and AWESOME breakfast and sole use of the Carriage House - a secluded little cottage behind the main house. The room was lovely and nestled in the middle of a beautiful garden. The location is a little removed from Union/Market Square and Fisherman's wharf, but these were manageable to get to with a bus stop just steps from the Inn. Union Street also has a number of cafes, restaurants and shops. A great alternative to large corporate hotels.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Arranging the Mass for mother after she past was difficult from 2 and a 1/2 hours away. When searching for a place to stay near St. Vincent De Paul Church, I noticed the website for the Union Street Inn. I was worried because we could only stay one night. We had just adopted mother's very nervous cats and I was loathe to leave them. Would anyone understand my plight? From the moment I first spoke with Herb, I could feel his kindness and compassion washing over me. Not only were we allowed to book a lovely room, we were assured that we could stop by the Inn before Mass to change clothes and drop off the luggage. Kit met us with a warm smile and a great deal of reassurance that stopping in early was not an issue. She took charge of our bags and we headed off to the church. When we returned, there was a lovely fruit basket in our room as well as all of our luggage. Kit invited us to have a glass of wine, some cheese, and fresh fruit. She also had some of Jane's wine cake set out (NOT to be missed.) We sat in the gardens under Morning Glories, Angel Trumpet and tiny pink roses listening to soothing fountains until my husband realized that the Giant's game would soon be on. Kit pointed us just down the hill to the Balboa Cafe were we could have both a very good meal and the fun of jovial crowd who where all very much into the game. That night we stayed in the Holly Room. It was well appointed, very comfortable, and large enough to suit my husband whose tastes run toward huge, modern suites. We had meant to ask after the "feather bed" mattress pad that provided even a restless sleeper such as myself a perfect night but, we were so enthralled by fresh fruit, homemade waffles, and apple wood bacon the next morning that we forgot. It seemed all the other guests were in bliss as well! Everyone was chatting happily and we exchanged stories of our respective homes and information about the city. My only regret was not having more time to spend at the Inn and visiting the shops on Union Street. We look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Open the windows of your room for the soothing sound of the fountain and the scent of flowers as you...
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was one of the highlights of our stay in San Fransisco. Kit was a wonderful host, as well as the rest of the wonderful people at the Union Street Inn. It was cozy, comfy, beautiful, and we felt right at home. If ever in San Fransisco again we would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Excellant accommodations. Engaging Inn Keepers. Clean and exactly as portrayed. Close to fine dinning or casual...what ever you want. Don't miss the evening wine and cheese, and the morning breakfast sets the day off just fine. Where to go...just ask Jane. Will return.

Room Tip: Go for the 2nd floor facing the rear garden!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Union Street Inn? Share your experiences!