“Charming B&B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Springfield, Oregon, United States
“Charming B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the White Swan Inn for a weekend getaway and we were both very impressed. We took the BART from the airport to the Powell St. stop and walked up the hill to the hotel. (TIP: buy the city pass from any Walgreens for $25 (3 day pass) and you can hop on and off any trolley or bus around town. The trolley is $6 per person each way so it pays for itself quickly) We were greeted at the desk by a very helpful attendant who offered to take our bags up to our room. Our room was on the 5th floor in the back of the hotel so it was as quite as could be expected in San Francisco. We slept with the windows open so we were woken up by city noise a couple of times but I had expected that. The room was spacious and the king size bed was comfortable enough. There was a cute gas fireplace and a mini fridge stocked with complimentary water and three kinds of soda. The elevator was a little temperamental and didn't work a couple of times but the hotel is only 5 flights and if you're visiting San Francisco you had better be prepared to do some climbing so it wasn't that big of a deal. The two best things about the White Swan Inn were the breakfast and the wine and social hour. The breakfast was the best complimentary breakfast I've ever had! Every morning there was an egg dish and a meat, fruit, bread for toast with two jams, oatmeal with cream and sugar and a variety of cold cereals along with coffee and orange juice. Breakfast was always hot and very filling, a nice was to start your day before you head off the explore the city. Wine and social hour was between 5:00 and 7:00 and exceeded my expectations as well. They provided a red and a white wine along with a buffet of hor d'oeuvres such as fruit and cheese platters, various cakes and fruit tarts, salad, hot mushroom dip and baguettes, etc. It was nice to meet some of the other guests and exchange tips about the city. There is also a computer (for charge) available in the back of the dinning room which was convenient for checking in for our flight home and printing our boarding passes. The front desk attendant (blond hair and dark rimmed glasses) was also very helpful, providing us with lists of preferred restaurants close by and maps with directions to our various destinations. On a side note; the place is a little dated and my husband wasn't overly fond of all the wallpaper but I thought it added to the charm and was exactly what I would have expected an English B&B to be like. Overall, we had an excellent stay and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 5th floor in the back would probably be the quietest, we stayed in room 54 I believe.
Molly C, Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Daysha,
Thank you so much for your review! We are so pleased to see you enjoyed so many aspects of the inn. I am also very excited to share your feedback on our breakfast and wine reception with our kitchen team, as well as your experience with Alex on our front desk; we love to hear about your experience with our staff, as well as what you enjoyed during your visit. We hope to welcome you back to White Swan for a future visit!

Molly Cohen
Operations Manager

782 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were both very impressed by the White Swan Inn. My companion was especially delighted and kept exclaiming 'where did you find this place?' Everything helped to tie in to make this a great stay from the vintage elevator, the fireplace in the room, the complementary wine tasting and breakfasts, and then when we prepared to leave we learned that the hotel had a complementary baggage check while you explored San Francisco for the rest of the day.

They provide a free in and out valet service, but we didn't need to take the car out until we were ready to leave since the hotel is within walking distance of Chinatown, Union Square, as well as two cable car routes, a metro station, and various bus routes. It served as a great hub to explore the entirety of the city.

The staff was great as well. All in all, this was a very memorable stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, the luxury rooms are just a little 'more so' and only an additional...
Summerville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was large and I enjoyed the seperate dressing room. It really is in need of some updating. I like vintage, but they really need to reglaze the bath tub.
The box fan was a big help to block out the city noise. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had to be in SanFran and all the hotels were full. The White Swan Inn had rooms at a reasonable rate so I booked. I travel a lot so I am pretty picky.I was very pleasantly surprised. The room (447) is very spacious and comfy and extremely quiet. The elevator is vintage and super cool (I felt like I was in an old movie). If you want things brand new then this might not be the place for you. On the other hand, if you like nostalgia done well you will like this place. Extra bonus from my perspective was the bathrobes and box fan (I like background noise) and separate vanity and refreshment rooms. My only regret was that I couldn't participate in the wine reception or the breakfast since I had other obligations. I would definitely book here again.

Room Tip: They have rooms that don't face the street so if you want quiet suggest asking for that.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We prefer small hotels with charme and character. Therefore the White Swan Inn was a perfect fit. English style, very comfortable beds no a/c but rooms were not too hot. Good breakfast as well as afternoon tea and wine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in June and loved it. We had a beautiful room on the 1st floor, large but cozy, with a queen size bed, fireplace. Breakfast (included in the price) every morning was downstairs and had some kind of cooked egg dish (omelet, frittata, scrambled), as well as danishes, scones, toast, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, cereal, cut up fruit. More than some hotels offer in that area. My husband and I loved the place, it was close to the cable cars, could walk to the Ferry Building if you wanted to. Had some good restaurants in the area and convenient to transportation if you needed it. All in all, I would recommend this Inn to anyone wanting to stay in San Francisco.

Room Tip: We had a room towards the back of the building, since this was away from most of the street noise th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great staff especially lady named Cora(?). I personally like to stay b&b.
This b&b is stood out because of exceptional service I got from the staff.

Below is good and bad.

Good:
The location is center of everything.
Free drink all day.
Coffee quality is pretty good.
Cookie is pretty good. I recommend to try this. They put different cookie each day.

Bad
There is no air condition in room.
Breakfast was okay. Nothing special.

I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Molly C, Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Headbig,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I am ecstatic to share your post with our staff, and especially Cora--who was able to make your stay so special. We hope to welcome you back and 'Wow' you with breakfast on a future trip to San Francisco. Thank you for choosing us!

Molly Cohen
Operations Manager

Been to White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!