“Nob Hill location with very helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added White Swan Inn to your Saves list
White Swan Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   845 Bush Street, San Francisco, CA 94108   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off Spring Promotion!
Ranked #10 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Tulsa
“Nob Hill location with very helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I liked the old fashioned elevator with manual doors. You have to hold the button a full second for the relays to flip. Other decor also being dated is really the only downside. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. The morning breakfast is very good, and the afternoon 5-6:30 pm snack with wine is outstanding. A room in the rear of the hotel was quiet except for the inevitable ambulance siren.
The staff arranged a Gray Line tour to Muir Woods and Sausilito, which was very nice. We returned via the Powell-Mason cable car which is only two blocks away. (Bush Street is not an official stop, but the operator let us off there upon request)
The Petit Auberge inn next door is a sister hotel and is served by the same desk and staff.
We arrived via taxi from the airport; upon departure we rented a car from a Hertz local location about four blocks away and then traveled to Napa and Sonoma. While in the city, it is best to use taxis or public transport because parking is expensive and often not available.

720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Leucadia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We prefer small unique properties to the large generic hotel chains. The White Swan is a charming older building with largish rooms individually decorated. Our room was 4th floor facing the street so there was some street noise to deal with.(I always pack earplugs) The bathroom is small and old fashioned but perfectly adequate. The elevator is a classic antique that's large enough for three people and luggage. The valet car service worked well for us. We enjoyed the afternoon reception down in the Breakfast room/ Library area with a glass of wine and appetizers more reminicent of a B&B. Breakfast itself was a treat with a fresh garden vegetable egg dish as well as an assortment of pastries, juices, sausage, yogurt and oatmeal. The front desk has a list of suggestions for restaurants within walking distance. We tried B44,a tapas bar located on an alley full of restaurants about five blocks down Bush. Great place that we would highly recommend. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
Washington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

i'm tired of fancy sky-rise hotels that have no personality and are a fortune ... so this was the perfect fit for me. room was quaint. decor was a bit off-beat, but a nice vibe. the room was interesting -- not a box! i'd say it is somewhere closer to a B&B than your normal hotel setup. the value was superb! i appreciate a fair deal these days. the service at the desk was excellent. i needed the car ready at 6:30AM -- it was there, sharp. very easy! i didn't like the breakfast though. i'd skip that part. fireplace was very nice. great job white swan!

Room Tip: i stayed in room 27. loved it.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed in a spacious "deluxe queen" on the 5th floor. The room faced the back so there was very little street noise. The room was large and pleasant, the bathroom was small and old fashion -- hot and cold water faucets, etc. -- but perfectly adequate.

Staff was pleasant, breakfast was fine.

The one reservation I would have is that the inn is not convenient to some things -- check your map before making your reservations.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This bed and breakfast is very outdated. We stayed here because of the high rating online during our honeymoon. We had to wait around to check in because there was a staff meeting going on (right around 3:00pm, check in time) and we were told our room was not ready yet because of the staff meeting. We were on the 5th floor and usually had to take the stairs because the elevator doesn't always work. The rooms have no A/C because you are expected to sleep with your windows open. The shower was uncomfortable due to a slanted ceiling overhead so you can not stand up straight for the whole length of the shower. There is no grip in the bottom of the tub so they provide a rubber mat for you to put in the shower yourself.

The hotel provides valet parking. I don't remember the price but it takes 30+ minutes for them to bring you your car once you ask for it.

The breakfast was very disappointing. They have eggs and ham in warmers, oatmeal in a crockpot, bread and a toaster, granola and raisin bran. They may have offered a few other things but there was nothing else left when my husband and I went down around 10am on a Saturday morning (breakfast is open until 11am).

The staff gave my husband and I anxiety due to their constant rambling and apologies for everything. It was hard to get away. I will say that the front desk did recommend a few good places for drinks.

Overall, my husband and I would have switched to a different hotel if our reservations weren't non-refundable and our friends visiting with us had already booked this same hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Molly C, Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so sorry that the inn and our amenities did not meet your expectations for your special visit, and we thank you for letting us know of your experience. Our team is very excited to be in the planning stages of a renovation for White Swan Inn, and I do hope you'll give us another try if your ravel will bring you to San Francisco in the future.
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This turn of the century hotel has tons of charm even though it's a little worn at the edges in places -- not for those who like boring chain hotels with lots of glass and fake marble. It even has a quirky old fashioned elevator with a metal screen door, which was a novelty. My wife and I stayed here in February with our two girls, ages 11 and 13. The ancient boiler in the basement was acting up and making noise that we could hear in our ground-floor room, but the manager swiftly and politely switched us to two adjacent rooms on an upper floor -- two rooms for the price of one. Our rooms were beautifully furnished and decorated in the period style, and they had charming gas fireplaces. The free breakfast was excellent -- a nice array of choices. Easy walk to Union Square. Male striptease place down the street advertising "touch my junk," but the neighborhood did not feel threatening and we enjoyed walking around and up the hill. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper floors may be a better bet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked this hotel 4 hours before arrival over the phone site unseen, and I was thrilled! I got a great rate for the city and was offered 10% off since it was last minute. It is small but very cozy, and room 31 had a king bed and a fireplace. The room was large with a sitting area, TV, fridge and free WIFI. I was also thrilled to find that the windows actually opened and fell asleep to the cool SF breeze and the sounds of the city. THe bathroom was on the smaller side with really only room for one person at a time to be near the sink and it could use some updating, but everything was clean and comfortable. Unilke another reviewer I did not have any smell of mold. Once checked in we were able to walk to dinner and enjoyed a free yummy breakfast on site. You pay about $30 to valet park, but they allowed me to keep my car in their offsite lot until 5pm the following day allowing me to walk around the city and not be bothered with my car. The staff was great, I slept like a baby and I WILL be back.

Room Tip: Room 31 over looked the street. It was large and roomy. I have stayed at other well known hotels in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to White Swan Inn? Share your experiences!