“Great alternative to big hotels and super pricey boutiques” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Square Inn

You added Washington Square Inn to your Saves list
Washington Square Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1660 Stockton St., San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Offers & Announcements
Second Night Half Off!*
Ranked #14 of 69 San Francisco B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winter Park, Florida
“Great alternative to big hotels and super pricey boutiques”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Given many prior good reviews, this may be redundant, but I enthusiastically concur. I would take issue with a previous negative comment regarding breakfast. I found it to be very good and if you ask to have it in your room it will arrive on the minute you designate. The staff is excellent and the location is incomparable.

Room Tip: I will not reveal my favorite room since I've never been able to book it even several months in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
washsquare, Owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, our staff really appreciates your comments on our service and we appreciate you mentioning us as an alternative to the big hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Irby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you really want to get a feel for San Francisco there is surely no better place to stay. This was our second trip to SF and being based in the Washington Square Inn was just perfect: this establishment not only met my high expectations but exceeded them on every level.

Having been entombed in the twilight world of intercontinental travel, the rather rarefied atmosphere of departure lounge, twelve hours in the air, passport control (!) and then ferried out to the centre of town via shuttle without our feet touching the ground, we had no doubts we had arrived in San Francisco the moment we got to 1660 Stockton Street. We had barely rung the bell when the ever exuberant, and utterly brilliant, William embraced us and drew us into this wonderful establishment. Within minutes, we found ourselves on a comfortable couch with a generous glass of wine in hand. We were on holiday and were in no doubts from this point in!

The Washington Square Inn is a very special place. The location is brilliant, in the heart of North Beach/Little Italy, to my mind, the very best of this wonderful city. The hotel itself is quite charming, the rooms, whilst not the biggest (mind you, in this city, the last thing we wanted to do was to be sitting about in our room), are spotlessly clean, well-appointed and furnished with furniture with character and charm. However, above and beyond this, what makes this so special is the “quirky” little features. The breakfast around the communal table where you can pick up tips and ideas from other guests, the central meeting area but most of all, the evening wine and nibbles: another chance to catch up with your fellow guests and learn of them and their day. In the latter case, we were lucky to have this overseen by the inimitable William for much of our stay: a superb host and raconteur with extraordinary energy. He was a real high-point and memorable feature of our two week sojourn to California.

To all intents and purposes, this is a perfect place to stay in one of the friendliest and most wonderful cities in the world. STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
washsquare, Owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you so much! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciation for William’s enthusiasm to serve our guests...
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

San Francisco was our first stop on our 30 day holiday. After a 25 hour flight it was a godsend to have arrived at the Washington Square Inn. Fantastic location to walk to everything, no need for a car. An authentic San Francisco experience. Rooms were always clean after we got back from a long day of walking to all the sights. From the start William made us feel so welcome I hope the employers appreciate what an asset they have here. We are goimg to miss the chats at wine & cheese time! Next time we'll stay longer.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I recently spent three nights at the Washington Square Inn. While we were planning our trip (we drove to San Francisco from Seattle), we agreed that we should stay in a special place for the San Francisco portion. The Washington Square Inn did not disappoint. As soon as we arrived, Josiane told me how to get to the garage the inn uses. I was pretty stressed out since my husband was waiting in the care out front. But, in fact, the process was very easy. Jonathan took our bags and put them in our room so we would not have to carry them. When we returned from the garage, we availed ourselves of the many goodies provided every afternoon. The food and wine were wonderful. Our breakfasts were fantastic, too. There was an impressive array of choices, and we enjoyed every bite (and sip -- there was plenty of fresh juice and coffee, too). ALL of the staff members were lovely, including the owner, with whom we chatted on a couple of occasions. Josiane, Jonathan, and Shabier were always extremely pleasant and helpful (I hope I did not misspell his name!). Our room (2) was comfortable and beautifully furnished. The inn is located in an excellent neighborhood. There is plenty going on there, but we truly walked all over the city. It's a great base. I can't wait to return to San Francisco. Until I do, I will enthusiastically recommend the Washington Square Inn to others; we look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, which was very peaceful despite its proximity to the lobby. The inn thoughtfull...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
washsquare, Owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review, we especially appreciate your comments on how we handle parking. We try to make it as easy as possible for our guests that arrive by car. Looking forward to your return visit.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I made the Washington Square Inn our first stop on our honeymoon tour of the Pacific Northwest and we are so glad we did. We arrived before check-in, so they let us drop off our bags and gave us parking instructions. Since they knew it was our honeymoon, they had a bottle of Champagne waiting for us when we finally did check in.
We reserved the Cozy Room (Room 15) for its value since we were going to be spending most of our time exploring San Francisco. It was certainly cozy, as promised, but the in-room bathroom and shower were very convenient. The bed was VERY comfortable and the room was beautifully furnished.
The in-room breakfast (which is ordered the night before) was so delicious and charmingly presented. We really enjoyed the granola, oatmeal, and coffee as we got ready for our days of adventure. The wine and cheese service each afternoon was also incredibly lovely.
The innkeepers were so helpful and accommodating. As we were leaving we even got a fantastic recommendation for dinner in Mendocino. If and when we return to San Francisco, we will absolutely be booking here again.

pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Where to start? The consierge service was outstanding. The room was lovely. The location of the Inn was just what we needed. It was out of the hustle & bustle of the Fisherman's Wharf, but close enough to walk wherever we wanted to be. Lots of good restaurants available nearby. The park across the street was a wonderful place to watch the world go by. It was a good price and breakfast was adequate (and included) to start the day. Would recommend (and already have) this Inn. Just love the intimate service from a smaller place like this!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
washsquare, Owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank You for your review! We and our staff really appreciate your comments about or location and service.
Kamuela,Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had the most delightful stay at The Washington Square Inn last week. My late husband and I stayed at the Inn in 1985 and loved it. Now my daughter lives in San Francisco but with only a studio apartment in the city, I needed a place to stay when visiting her. The Washington Square Inn was my "home away from home" while there. Not only is North Beach the perfect location as I walked everywhere, but the Inn was perfect. The owner's level of detail is amazing. The owner's are at the Inn each morning to set up for the day. From the personable & knowledgeable staff, to the bedding, beautiful china, breakfast in your room or dining room, the wines, appetizers, and fabulous local coffee...all was tended to in a traditional European style. I travel back to SF regularly now, and I look forward to the Washington Square Inn as my home when there.

Room Tip: I was alone so room #3 was just fine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
washsquare, Owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to write a review. hope you’ll come see us again.

Been to Washington Square Inn? Share your experiences!