If you really want to get a feel for San Francisco there is surely no better place to stay. This was our second trip to SF and being based in the Washington Square Inn was just perfect: this establishment not only met my high expectations but exceeded them on every level.
Having been entombed in the twilight world of intercontinental travel, the rather rarefied atmosphere of departure lounge, twelve hours in the air, passport control (!) and then ferried out to the centre of town via shuttle without our feet touching the ground, we had no doubts we had arrived in San Francisco the moment we got to 1660 Stockton Street. We had barely rung the bell when the ever exuberant, and utterly brilliant, William embraced us and drew us into this wonderful establishment. Within minutes, we found ourselves on a comfortable couch with a generous glass of wine in hand. We were on holiday and were in no doubts from this point in!
The Washington Square Inn is a very special place. The location is brilliant, in the heart of North Beach/Little Italy, to my mind, the very best of this wonderful city. The hotel itself is quite charming, the rooms, whilst not the biggest (mind you, in this city, the last thing we wanted to do was to be sitting about in our room), are spotlessly clean, well-appointed and furnished with furniture with character and charm. However, above and beyond this, what makes this so special is the “quirky” little features. The breakfast around the communal table where you can pick up tips and ideas from other guests, the central meeting area but most of all, the evening wine and nibbles: another chance to catch up with your fellow guests and learn of them and their day. In the latter case, we were lucky to have this overseen by the inimitable William for much of our stay: a superb host and raconteur with extraordinary energy. He was a real high-point and memorable feature of our two week sojourn to California.
To all intents and purposes, this is a perfect place to stay in one of the friendliest and most wonderful cities in the world. STAY HERE!
- Also Known As:
- Washington Square Hotel
- Washington Square Hotel San Francisco
- The Washington Square Inn San Francisco
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Washington Square Inn, a San Francisco bed and breakfast Inn in the city’s legendary North Beach neighborhood, welcomes its guests with all the charm and comfort of a small European hotel. Whether traveling to California for business or recreation, amenities offered with your stay at Washington Square Inn include free wireless Internet access, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, evening hors d’oeuvres and wine, and full office services in the lobby. Rooms feature European antiques, cable TV, soft robes and private baths. Some rooms have sitting areas in bay windows, while others offer a cozy atmosphere with private fireplaces. Ideally situated in the very heart of the vibrant North Beach neighborhood, our historic hotel boasts beautiful views of Coit Tower, Russian Hill, Washington Square Park and the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Paul. Washington Square Inn is one of the best San Francisco hotel deals available, offering exemplary bed and breakfast lodging and service at rates ranging from $179 – $329 per night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Washington Square Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.