“Disappointing !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Queen Anne Hotel

You added The Queen Anne Hotel to your Saves list
The Queen Anne Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1590 Sutter Street, At Octavia Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #61 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Paris
“Disappointing !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I just spent a few nights at The Queen Anne Hotel traveling for business and the bottom line is simple: The Queen Anne Hotel is not good value for your money. It is not a bad hotel but considering the average rate per night for a standard room you would expect more. On many respects.

The Queen Anne is a small hotel, which is good since it gives the impression of living in a nice cozy environment. However, the hotel looks and feels very old. They try to pass that along as being the intent because of the heavy 19th century European aristocratic-like style of decoration, but the fact remains that this hotel needs some serious overall refreshing.

The main living room is quite comfortable. It has live fire places which are a nice touch. The rooms on the other hand are quite small and poorly equipped. The bathroom is also quite small. I had trouble standing straight up in the shower and I am just 6'2. The bed is also on the smaller side of things but is quite comfortable. The breakfast buffet offers a very limited choice and frankly it was the poorest choice at a breakfast buffet I have ever experienced in a hotel so far.

Like I said earlier the main problem with TQAH is that it is, and feels, quite old. And the service from the staff doesn't help. A few examples:

- the walls in the bedrooms are quite thin. So in the mornings and in the evenings I could basically hear the conversation of the young couple next door as well as having the discomfort of sharing their most intimate moments (if you know what I mean);

- the wifi access is supposedly complimentary. But only a few clients of the hotel were actually able to connect to the wifi at the same time because of the limited bandwidth. I have ever seen that before. In particularly in such a small hotel of only 48 rooms or so. Despite requests from several different clients (including myself) that issue was never handled.

- a little gem of a story to finish: the doorknob of the bathroom door in my room was broken so basically once the bathroom door was shut you could not open it from the inside. I learned that the hard way by basically being locked inside the tiny bathroom of my own room ! I didn't have my cell phone with me at the time. I tried calling the lobby from the landline phone in the bathroom but that phone was also out of service. I ended up opening the bathroom window and yelling as hard as I could from the 4th floor to try and catch the attention of the scarce number of people 4 floors below walking by the hotel. After 10 mins of that ordeal a good Samaritan heard me and alerted the front desk which wasn't of much assistance because they couldn't access my room since I put the lock on the front door. Anyway, long story short after 30 mins of that ridiculous situation I finally managed to MacGyver my way out of the bathroom by unlocking the bathroom door using my comb ! The hotel apologized, promised to fix the doorknob the next day, which they didn't until I left.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
QueenAnneHotel, Director of Sales at The Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Oliver, We felt perfectly awful to learn you became temporarily stuck in your bathroom! We have since removed and replaced the offending mechanisms. Indeed our rates were a little higher then due to a large gaming convention. The online 3rd party that you booked with can only access our smallest room type (with queen sized bed). Your room assignment landed on the top floor where our ceilings are 8ft high. (All other floors have 10ft high ceilings).
However, in that bathroom location, the roof slopes down, some feel it's part of the charm but perhaps not for someone over 6ft tall... We hope you will try us again and contact us directly for your next booking. Many things can be done when we know our guests preferences/needs. Plus you can find out about any specials...that might beat 3rd party internet prices. Our building was built in the year 1890 as "Miss Mary Lake's Finishing School For Girls". It has a wonderful history, ambiance and feeling of warmth and relaxation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This old hotel exudes loads of genuine period character and charm. There are open fires, paintings on all the wall, and a plethora of period details and quirky old furniture. As well as the wide grand staircase, there is an old lift with wooden panelling, an upholstered bench and a chandelier!
Our bedroom was on the top floor on the corner, and included part of the corner turret (we were upgraded as a honeymoon perk!). The ornate wooden bed was huge and very comfortable, and the furniture was old, wooden, ornate, but in good condition. There was a large TV with DirectTV box. There was a sink in the bedroom, in addition to the bathroom; only disappointment here was the bath, which was wide but short, and the non-adjustable shower head (both issues that seem common in US hotels, and not ideal for tall people).
Breakfast choices were OK but not huge - cereals, yoghurt, pastries and croissants, the hot options were limited to sausages, hard-boiled eggs, and a pair of delightful machines that prepare fresh waffles. There is no restaurant for lunch or dinner.
The location in Lower Pacific Heights is nice enough, but there is little directly outside the hotel. There are a number of restaurants on Van Ness two blocks away, and more on Fillmore 4 blocks away. Anywhere else you'll need to travel to, but buses work very well (worth buying pass that includes Light Rail and Cable Cars), and run right past the hotel.
Parking is available in a small lot just opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corner have space in the turret.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
We're very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Hope we'll see you again for another milestone!
Cheers,
Your Queen Anne Family
Pickering, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The whole hotel is like a museum. Every room is different with period furnishings. The lobby and common areas look like they would have a hundred years ago. Some rooms are smaller so I'd advise upgrading a bit to get a larger one if that matters to you. Free evening sherry and cookies are a nice touch. Breakfast has good variety and is included in the price . Parking across the street is reasonable price for SF. Laura at the front desk is always pleasant and helpful. Walking distance to all the Japantown restaurants

Room Tip: Streetnoise is not bad but they have quite a few rooms facing the back with no noise at all.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow! Andy & Gloria! Thank you for the 5 Star (or Planet) rating!
You really made our day and we hope to see you again soon.
SteMélanie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A real trip in time. Warm place with fireplaces turned on all the time, very cosy and quiet, complimentary sherry and cookies between 4 and 6 pm.. Very elaborated decoration: Queen Ann furniture, curtains, art pieces, everything has been well thought. Very good reception, very clean. I would have liked to enjoy a more English style breakfast even if it was OK.

Room Tip: Our deluxe room was very quiet but I don't know how were the other ones.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you Christiane, for your kind review and very lovely photo!
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a really beautiful hotel. Staff is very friendly. Pretty quiet for being in San Francisco. We had the Mary Lake suite. The room was very nice. Bathroom was big. Bed was a little uncomfortable. I was hoping for some ghost activity and at 11:00 pm I heard a paper bag being crumpled. It was really loud and was in the room. I was in bed and the room was dark so I don't know where it came from. I did not have a paper bag in the room either. So that was cool.
I told the front desk in the morning about it and he said guests do hear things in the Mary Lake room. Room 410.
I was surprised it was not that noisy. I live in a really quiet neighborhood so I don't like noise.
Beautiful decorations. Loved the antique furniture.
We walked 4 blocks to eat dinner. Free coffee, waffles, muffins, bagels, and fruit in the morning.
Would stay here again!

Room Tip: higher floor may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you Jeanette. We are thrilled by your 5 Star review. I see our friendly ghost was saying hello to you! That's very cool. The Miss Mary Lake Suite has become our most popular room.
Please come stay again soon!
Spruce Grove, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose this hotel for a special birthday and anniversary celebration and could not have chosen better. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is full of character, very clean and the rooms comfortable and quiet. Sherry and cookies in the afternoon, the grand staircase, spectacular woodwork and stained glass make you feel like you have had a little peek back in time. The neighbourhood is quiet and charming and safe for evening walks. It was only a few blocks to great restaurants and shops on Filmore Street. We walked most places but for those a little less desire for exercise a transit pass might be a good option.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you AB CoastWalker. So glad you mentioned your experience down on Fillmore Street. So many great restaurants to choose from. On weekday mornings we also have our complimentary local towncar service where you can get a lift downtown or to the Wharf, etc...
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2015

Who knew there was an extant 1890 hotel in San Francisco? The Queen Anne has wonderful Victorian atmosphere and furnishings in its public areas, and a great grand staircase that rises under a stained glass dome (a little hidden on the first floor, but very nice once you're on it). Have a sherry or tea by the fireplace in the lobby.
What's even better is this place is QUIET. I've stayed in other SF hotels, and the hustle and bustle is always a background, even on the upper floors. Our second floor room was supremely quiet at night. This is a quiet residential neighborhood, and you'll sleep well. Rooms are nicely furnished with antiques, and ours even had a fireplace. (We regretted not having time to use it.) Bathrooms spotless and inviting. And a very comfortable bed. What more could you want?
Breakfast. Did I mention it includes a continental breakfast? A bit more than the usual, too, even including a platter full of sausage! Very nice!
And staff! Very helpful, friendly staff.
They also have their own private parking lot, across the street. Very handy, and worth the $19 a night, a bargain for San Francisco.
It's also very handy if you are attending an event at the Regency Ballroom. (We were there for the Edwardian World's Fair, and to judge by the tophats and corsets seen in the halls, so were a number of others.) Also very close to the Japan Center.
I plan to use this again, when I want a getaway in San Francisco!

Room Tip: Even close to the elevator was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
QueenAnneHotel, Director of Sales at The Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2015
Thank You Jilara! You really did us proud with your fantastic 5 STAR review. Woot Woot!! Thank you so much. It's our pleasure to provide warm hospitality and accommodations that perhaps have the ability to transport you to another time of wild romance or gentle elegance, or both! We look forward to your next visit!

Been to The Queen Anne Hotel? Share your experiences!