“Overpriced, Overated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Queen Anne Hotel

You added The Queen Anne Hotel to your Saves list
The Queen Anne Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1590 Sutter Street, At Octavia Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #68 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Citrus Heights, California
“Overpriced, Overated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We found this hotel on the web , and it was one of the only places with rooms available during the SF Marathon. Needing a getaway we booked a room for one night. A whopping $255! Room was dark and musty, with an overly cherubic decor including cheap stencils and decals placed randomly. the bed was comfortable, but the bedding was ugly red and gold Grandmotherly damask. Uncomfortable, but cutesy "antiques" filled the room. The bathroom was complete with mold and mildew on the ceiling over the tub area, and the floor was rather dirty. The proprietor was curt and unfriendly, and lectured me about not having a high enough daily limit on my debit card. I had used my card when I arrived in the City, and upon arrival at the hotel, she swiped the card and found it eceeded my daily limit. When I asked why she was charging me upon arrival rather than upon departure, she become haughty and began, instead, a diatribe on one needing a highly daily debit amount. Following her lecture, she never spoke wot us again. The location of the hotel is excellent for those who are able to walk, and we loved it. We asked a staffer about where to eat, and received vague, unusable info. on local restaurants. Rather than trust this dubious advice, we struck out on foot, and found a winner, The Elite on Filmore. I later found that the room prices had been inflated due to the Marathon, so THAT disappointed me. Oh well, "supply and demand." This is a well located place, but dreary and old. The "continenetal breakfast" was made up of foods probably bought at Costco, and was poorly presented in a depressing, velvet draped dining room. YUCK! Next time, I'll plan farther ahead and get something better. This place did not impress us at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Mariposa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have been going here several times a year for 10 years now. Love it. Centrally located in SF, though not near main attractions except Japantown. But near in SF is relative. SF is very small as cities go, and from here you can get nearly anywhere in SF in 15 minutes. Rooms are nicely decorated in Victorian style, very comfortable and nearly all are spacious. Price is reasonable for SF (if you are visiting the UCSF med center, tell the hotel and you will get the med center discount). Best of all, parking is inexpensive by SF standards, about $17/night where as most hotels in SF charge 35-60 per night. Factor that into the cost. Breakfast is plain but free--cereals hot and cold, boiled eggs and sausage, lots of pastries and breads, make your own waffles, juices. We occasionally try other places, and always end up coming back here for a good combination of comfort and value.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms on the east side--no view, a bit darker, but extremely quiet. Rooms on west and sout...
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a Victorian style property. Unfortunately while we were there they were remodeling the outside and scaffolding was up around the hotel, so we really couldn’t see the beauty.

I had emailed before we arrived asking for an early checkin, and we were allowed to do that. We really appreciated this. The front desk staff were always very friendly and helpful.

The hotel was very clean. There were some things that were pretty worn out in our room though (i.e. vanity in the bathroom had some wood that was pretty worn). The bed was ok, the pillows were not the best though.

The breakfast is fairly basic. Toast, bagels, muffins, waffle station, cereal, etc.

This was a pretty good location. We used mass transit for our entire trip and we were able to catch the buses very nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our first trip to San Fran. The room was nice in size. The king bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fine. Overall the room was fine. It was dark and not as clean as I would like. Breakfast was included and was very poor in quality and quantity. I would look for another place to stay on a return trip.

Felton, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed one night in a Victorian Queen room at the Queen Anne. The hotel is at this date in the middle of a sprucing up--when we arrived they were painting the outside on the street side--something you might want to consider if you are going to this hotel in the next month or so. We had asked in advance for a quiet room after reading other reviews here, and found that ours was WONDERFULLY quiet.

Overall, this is an old hotel, but nicely kept up. I would imagine an upgrade of the interior is also planned as there are some chips in the paint on door frames, etc. but those are all minor details. I also hope they are planning on replacing mattresses soon as ours seemed old.

Service was great--front desk gal was very helpful and friendly. I'll stay here again sometime, no problem. Next time, however, I think we'll upgrade to one of the fireplace rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Beware that this hotel is a historical landmark. Which translates to constant tours throughout the hotel on a daily basis from 9am-10pm daily! This includes a self tour of the hotel including all the guest room floors! Because this is an old hotel this noise volume is high especially with the tours stomping through the hall ways.

The service is lack luster at best.. There is no ice machine available to guests. You have to take you I've bucket down stairs to the front desk and hope you get a helpful front desk employee. If you get the gentlemen, he will say sorry I can't leave my desk to help you get ice. Just walk to the back yourself and ask someone back there?! Really? The person in the back will then tell you sorry guests are not allowed back here.. So I ask you, who is supposed to give the guests ice? Apparently, no one!

If you stay on the weekend, make sure you ask for a room that is not directly over the breakfast area that doubles as a party venue rental. If a party happens to be booked.. Expect extremely loud music and noise until 10PM. Forget complaining at the front desk because they will simply tell you that they have the room rented unt 10PM and "if we don't like the noise we can just check out," direct qoute from, Ronaldo the hotel concierge. Never mind that you are renting a room too.

So buyer beware.. Poor service, old rooms, rude front desk & concierge staff, constant tours daily.

• Stayed November 2012
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I just arrived home yesterday after staying at the Queen Anne for a week, we were on our honeymoon/first year wedding anniversary (we didnt take a honeymoon right after we got married ) ! We loved SanFran and we LOVED The Queen Anne ! Not your "normal" Hotel .It was decorated for Christmas and It looked wonderful ! The beds were comfy , the room was clean , ya they are doing some renos outside but it didnt bother us at all ! The staff were all great ! VERY helpful and we got to know them very well !It is in the perfect area ,felt very safe ! My husband and I bought a MUNI pass to explore the city , it was well worth the money and it helped us see a lot! There is a little store right across the street that was helpful for snacks and drinks etc.We had such a great time in SanFran and at the Queen Anne we said every 10 years on our anniversary we will be back and will stay at the Queen Anne ! We have been home for a less than a day and we already miss both !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queen Anne Hotel? Share your experiences!