“Great Time in the City” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Woodland, CA
“Great Time in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

Last week my family and I stayed at the Kensington Park Hotel in San Francisco. This was our first time at the hotel, although we visit the city often. We had a wonderful time and the service was incredible. We were given fantastic directions and some wonderful
suggestions for places to go. I have already recommended the hotel to 2 friends as well as my mother in law (and you know how picky they can be.) I am sure we will be back soon! Thanks for the wonderful stay,
The Hansens

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — You are right by Union Square so it can get noisy.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

My wife and I booked a room for four (children ages 18 months and 7 years) through the Travelzoo webite. We were given an upgrade to the Royal Court room as the front desk person saw that we were a family of four and needed more than the standard room. Front desk staff was very helpful and welcoming the many times we arrived and departed during our 3-night stay. We had no problems with our stroller in the hotel and we felt no stigma having the only guests that were under 16 years of age? I will stay here the next time my wife and I make our trip without the kids.

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — valet parking a bit slow
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for car 20-30 minutes early
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

We stayed at the KPH for two nights. The reception area was clean and we loved the style of the hotel. We were allocated a suite on the 11th floor and it was perfect. The bed was huge and so incredibly comfortable. The shower pressure was, bizarre as it may seem, something I really appreciated. The coffee/fruit juice station on each floor is a lovely treat as is the sherry we received in the afternoon as an amenity. The hotel has charm, warmth and is a comfortable place to stay. I would however bear in mind that there are aspects to the hotel that could be updated/refurbished, the lifts in particular but nothing to deter you from staying there. The staff were efficient, and the concierge was so very helpful. We were unfortunate enough to experience one of the reception staff who felt that we were/probably should not be staying at this hotel (I think the comfortable travel clothing - jeans and t-shirt - might have had something to do with the disdain) but again, nothing that tarnished our stay enough to make it unpleasant. We checked out the hotel for one night and returned for another three night stay, and they were kind enough to allocate the same room, which made it seem a bit like home. I would recommend the hotel if you are considering it ... and the location is central to everything you would be wanting to see while in San Francisco.

• Liked — The room, the heated wardrobe, the shower pressure
  • Disliked — I realise it's not a five star property but attention to detail on things like wallpaper, markes on the wall, cleanliness of the lifts were a slight disappointment
  • Tips/Secrets — It's always better to have no expectations and be pleasantly surprised, rather than set yourself up for disappointment
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

I spent 3 glorious days in San Francisco for the opening of Westfield Center and was very impressed by the excellent service, convenient location and great value from the Kensington Park Hotel. Our room was spacious and overlooked Union Square. I'm picky about substantial but comfy pillows, and these were just like home. I work in and teach marketing and I think the friendliness of the staff really contributed to our enjoyment. They were on top of everything and really went beyond the call of duty.
We had coffee and juice every morning on our floor, so it was easy to get moving. The price of the room was very competitive for SF.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

We enjoyed our 4 nights at the Kensington Park Hotel. The staff could not do enough to make our stay comfortable and pleasant.

The location is excellent and the room charming. The sherry and tea offered to guests in the foyer every afternoon is a nice touch.

We will definitely be returning

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — visit the Cheese Factory restaurant above Macy's for great food with a fabulous view.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SAN DIEGO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

Just returned from a week's stay in the Bay Area, including three nights at the Kensington Park Hotel.

This relatively small hotel (70-80 rooms, I believe) was everything that my girlfriend and I hoped for. It is in a very convenient location (1/2 block from Union Square), and our room was clean, comfortable and well-appointed.

We arrived on a Saturday morning, having taken BART from the San Francisco Airport to the Powell Street station. This was about a 4-5 block walk from the hotel, but as we had not packed too heavily, this was no problem. We got to the hotel around 11 a.m., expecting to simply check our bags for a few hours until our room would be ready. Imagine our pleasure when the desk clerk informed me our room was already cleaned and available.

Our room was on the 10th floor of this 12-story hotel, which only has guest rooms on floors 6-12. I had read that rooms on the front of the hotel (Post St.) side tended to be too noisy, but we did not find this a problem. Yes, we did have a street musician down on the corner below us each evening, but they seemed to quit by 10-11 p.m., which was plenty early enough for us. Plus, they were all quite good!

We were blessed with wonderful San Francisco weather. Days were in the high 70s and nights in the low 60s. Really could not have asked for any better. I had done a lot of research ahead of time, so had a pretty good idea of where we wanted to go while we were there and how to get there, but the staff at the front desk were always very eager to answer any questions and help with any request I had. Very friendly and responsive.

Being a small hotel, they do not have on-site housekeeping or food service. The housekeeping was never an issue, as rooms were cleaned by the staff that comes in each day, and any needs we had after hours were quickly handled by the bell staff or desk staff. And, with so many fantastic restaurants in SF, we certainly didn't come there with the intention of eating room service meals.

The hotel has an arrangement with a Cafe a few doors down for continental breakfast service. You get a voucher at the front desk and go down the street for tea or coffee, muffin or danish. We didn't expect much from this service, and we didn't get much, either. Not a very impressive selection or service at this Cafe.

The hotel's 2nd and 3rd floors house the Post St. Theatre, a quaint little theatre with not a bad seat in the house. We saw "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," a play I was not familiar with ahead of time, but highly entertaining. Good music, great performances by the characters, and just a very fun, cute show. We got tickets the morning of the show at the TIX booth on Union square for less than $30 each. Well worth it, but hurry, it closes in early September. I would love to see another show in this theatre, and if you're staying in the hotel, you certainly can't beat the ease of the drive home after the show.

The hotel is in a great location. Having been to San Francisco a few times, I really enjoy staying around Union Square better than any other location. With the 3-day passports we got for public transportation, we could take any of the cable cars, streetcars, buses or subway trains for no additional cost. Best $18 I ever spent in SF, and we felt we could get anywhere we wanted to within the city by starting within steps of our hotel.

With all the great shopping, eating and people-watching we love to do in the Union Square area, this hotel was a great choice for us.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

I stay in San Francisco for business quite often but usually at one of the Hyatt's or Hiltons. These were not available so after reading the reviews I decided to give it a try. I was surprised that the service described by some was not present during my stay. I had reserved a Royal Court Room but was given a standard room which was run down in comparison. Also, they refused to lower my rate to the standard room rate which was $30.00 less when I originally booked.

While there I misplaced a credit card which the staff was nice enough to check my room while I was at the office and report back to me that they had found it.

Other than that I did not have the experience that most reviewers did , guess it is back to the giants (Hyatt @Embarcedero)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Switched Room Booked to lower class but did not reduce price
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a guarantee before arriving on room type and rate
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Kensington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!