“Comfortable Elegance” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
los angeles
“Comfortable Elegance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have stayed here for three visits to San Francisco in the past year. The location is wonderful--close to Union Square and its attractions. The rooms bring you back to an earlier era in old San Francisco. Yet, they have the needed comforts of a modern room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear travelmom01958,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are always pleased to hear from our loyal guests. We want to personally thank you for making us your home away from home.

We are thrilled to hear our room has the comfort of a modern room but, yet it takes you to an earlier era. I couldn’t say it any better.

We are glad you enjoyed our location and I can certainly agree that our location is convenient to restaurants, theaters, and shopping.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,
Lilia Calvario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We loved this hotel, from day one they exceeded our expectations. We stayed for 10 nights and loved the location. We were on the 9th floor and went out each morning to complimentary coffee an orange juice. A folding bed was supplied for our daughter who works in San Fran, but would some nights have had a long trip to her apartment. We loved the complimentary sherry & tea each evening in the foyer. It felt cosy and friendly rather than corporate. All in all we would stay there again without hesitation. Location, perfect.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I didn't realize that I wasn't booking a full-service hotel, but with all of the restaurants in the area & delivery options, that wasn't really a problem. It's a half-block from Union Square, so there's plenty of food, shopping & entertainment around. The rooms are a bit larger than I'm accustomed to for historic hotels in this area which was nice, and the furnishings are a nice mix of modern and antique. The free wifi works great in the lobby & in the rooms. They have a doorman, but I'm not quite certain what he does. My entire three-night stay, he was always in the lobby when I arrived & departed and was quite friendly, but he didn't hold the door for me once. He was very interested in helping me with the wifi in the lobby upon arrival as I waited for my room to be ready (I was extremely early). They serve complimentary sherry and tea in the evenings, as well as hot chocolate when it's cold. There are cold beverages, including OJ, at a central location on each floor in the morning. One evening they had a pianist in the lobby who played quite well, but stopped and started songs midway through as she saw fit, as though aware that her playing was just part of the background and no one was really paying close attention. However, it was disconcerting for a music lover. My king bed was extremely comfortable, and the linens were nice - plenty of extra pillows. I had a great view of Nob Hill, and lots of natural light in the room. They have radiator heat, which didn't quite do the trick to warm up the room upon checking in with 50 degree weather outside. I had them bring up a space heater, which heated the room quickly, and I didn't need to use it again after that first evening (thankfully, the handyman/porter who brought it to me was extremely concerned that I would dry my skin out using it, and reminded me of this every time I saw him during my stay - nice fellow). Everything was in good repair, clean, and all of the amenities I needed were present. I really appreciated the closet, drawer & cabinet space in the room as I always fully unpack, and it's nice to have everything put away neatly. My only complaint is that they need to add mini-bars in the room. Overall, I thought it was an amazing value for this location at about $250/night. I'm only not rating it five stars because it's not quite what I would consider plush. There's just a little bit of "finish" that's lacking to get that last star. It's a quirky old hotel with quirky staff, and I like it & would definitely return. After this stay, I'd like to try the other properties in the Personality Hotels portfolio.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Orangevale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great location, 1/2 block off Union Square, very helpful and pleasant staff, nice room, even economical overnight valet parking. Surprisingly quiet in a fifth floor room facing the street. Looking forward to a reason to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the end of a business trip due to it being cheaper than the work hotel!
I checked in on 6th December for a Friday night stay. I arrived at 3pm and was told my reception that I had to wait for 5 minutes before I could check in because they were in the middle of a system upgrade. The offered me free tea from the tea table in the lobby area. I waited 10 minutes which wasn't great as I was tired and wanted to dump my suitcase and backpack somewhere and relax!
Once they were able to check me in, it was a quick process and I was shown to the elavators which took me to my room on the 8th floor. The lifts were really slow. So when I had locked my key in my room later on in the day, it was a painful journey to go back down to the lobby and back up to the room.
I took my luggage to my room myself and found the room easily. The room had a TV, a chair (handy for dumping bags on or putting on boots!), a wardrobe with suitcase holder and complimentary water. There was no safe. The bathroom was an ok-size containing toiletries, hair dryer and bath/shower. The sink was a little small and didn't have room for me to put out my toiletries or make up but there wasn't really enough room in the bathroom to have a large sink. The bed was more than big enough for myself and had no problems sleeping at all. It was quiet and peaceful.
Location was great for shopping. A short walk to the Westfield Shopping centre and tram stop on Market Street. It's right off Union Square too which has Macy's, Tiffany's and Saks. As it's Christmas time, the square was hosting an ice rink and a huge Christmas tree so it was very festive. As I left on Saturday evening though, it was very very busy and the roads around the square were full of vehicles making traffic a nightmare.
Upon checking out, it was done smoothly enough and they asked for feedback. I mentioned the delay in checking in due to their system upgrade and they blamed it on people switching over shifts. Check in starts at 3pm, they should be doing things like that at a different time!
A member of staff helped me order a taxi later on in the day which charged me a set fee and despite the huge congestion occurring in the Square, he managed to get me to the airport within 30 minutes.
Overall, the stay was pleasant. Good value for money & there is more that the hotel offered than I took up. There is a theatre and a cafe area on two other floors. I would recommend this place for location.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 in a room with 2 double beds. It was cosy but comfortable enough. The location could not really be any better, just around the corner from Union Square, across the road from the Westin. We stayed on the 9th floor which was fairly quiet. The views however were over roofs of other buildings, but since we didn't spend spend much time in the room, it did not bother us much. The room was average, the bathroom small. The beds were clean and reasonably comfortable. The lighting in the room was poor. The hotel is fairly old but charming. The service was good from the desk staff and concierge. Breakfast available a few doors up the street, nil in the hotel. Stops for hop on hop off buses just across the road , which was handy. Cable car also close by. The business centre allowed us to print boarding passes easily and for free. Very pleasant stay overall.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Farnborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

First the plus points, the location is great for visiting the city as a tourist, right on union square, plenty of character, the beds were nice and comfy and the staff good.
On the down side, our room wasn't available when we checked in and when we returned the bathroom in the room we were given had a very strong nasty smell coming from it. My wife informed reception that she though it had just been sprayed for bugs, they immediately offered us another room which we accepted. The second room was fine, bathroom like the other one was probably due a refurb but clean. I was surprised to find there was no aircon, probably mentioned somewhere when I booked but I never noticed and being November not really a problem. More of a problem was the noise, we were on somewhere around 11th floor facing the street and even with the windows shut it was very noisy. Had it been summer with the windows open I really wouldn't have been happy.
Not a bad hotel but I'd probably opt for somewhere more modern next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Kensington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!