“Great Spot!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Great Spot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Trust me, this is the area you want to be in! only a moment's walk away from Union Square and situated around the shopping district. (Macy's, Saks, Prada...etc) Not saying that these are the stores I shop at, but to be in this area is so much better than other areas and once you see that you'll know why. The Hotel itself has a lot of character and is very clean and very affordably priced. The desk staff is AMAZING!, and they were very helpful. The Hotel is situated very close to the Cable Cars that run to Fisherman's Wharf. Noises can be heard outside, but who cares, it's part of the downtown core, and I have never heard peace and quite if you are in a large city, to me, it just adds to the experience. The bed's sleep well and are very comfortable. I would recommend this place and I will most likely go back to the Kensington Hotel if I visit the San Francisco area again. There are lot's of great places to eat around the Hotel area. I suggest the "Golden Gate Grill at 449 Powell Street, next to Sear's Restaurant. This is a GREAT spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner because it seems like everyone want's to line-up at Sear's which is also good, but the Golden Gate Grill is amazing and you'll love the 2 hanging planes and Chevy car that hang from the ceiling. The freshly squeezed orange juice is sooooo good!!!! Not too many people know about this place because it is located on the 3rd floor, so I'm telling you now!. Anyway, I hope you make the Kensington Hotel part of your San Franciso experience!

Room Tip: Ask for something a little higher up if you want to get a little more peace and quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Sevie S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate anytime our guests share their experience. We are thrilled you had so many positive notes to share about Kensington Park.
We appreciate the recognition of our staff efforts to provide quality and friendly service and comments such as yours motivates us even more.

I’m pleased to know that you found our location very convenient. I am thrilled to hear you had the opportunity to explore our wonderful city.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Lilia Calvario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Kensington for 5 nights in April in room 76, on the 11th floor. This is definitely the room to get if you want less noise and an amazing view of the city. The bathroom and shower was of decent size, and the king size bed was extremely comfortable. The closet was a nice size as well. And most importantly the room was very clean, and the cleaning service staff were always nice. I was visiting SF for a conference, and I must say Kensington was the perfect place to retreat to after a long busy, noisy day. I had a lot of sessions to attend in Hilton and Grand Hyatt and I do not regret my decision to stay at Kensington one bit. Those hotels were extremely busy, so it was wonderful to go back to quiet Kensington and be greeted by my last name! The staff was always in good spirits, and very welcoming and helpful. Shopping is just at your doorstep, and a 24 hour Walgreens, a 3 level shoe store DSW was on the same block. Just a block away was Lori's 24 hour diner, and Macy's was nearby as well. The hotel offers coffee and orange juice in the morning, and tea, sherry and fresh cold water filled with fresh fruit during the day. Their lobby is very welcoming and comfortable. The concierge was friendly and placed my luggage in their secure room after check out, and ordered an airport shuttle for me for later on in the day. They also have an ATM right in the hotel which was quite helpful. I also appreciated the free wifi. I really have nothing bad to say about Kensington. I will definitely stay again on my next visit to SF.

Room Tip: Room 76 on floor 11 - less noise and superb view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Global T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your kind words. We’re delighted to hear that you thought of Kensington Park.

We appreciate anytime our guests share their experience. Thank you for providing everyone with accurate details of our hotel, I could have not said it better.

We appreciate the recognition of our staff efforts to provide quality and friendly service, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Starting with the good points, this hotel couldn't be in a better spot. Sitting on Post St right next to Union Square it was close to the BART and right in amongst all the best shops, galleries and restaurants that SanFrancisco has to offer. Staff were excellent, very freindly and very clean.

I have read the other reviews and I think the experience in staying at this hotel will depend on which room you get. Some have commented that their bathroom was almost the same size as their room itself. This wasn't the case for us, the bathroom was about 1.5m x 1.5m so it's physically impossible to have more than one person in there at once, you could touch the walls in both directions with your arms out. This was no big deal, the bathroom was clean and functional although it could do with a 240V transformer for shavers as it only works on 110V so couldn't have a shave.

Our room was on the street side of the building and it was very, very noisy at night. I have read some reviews where the noise was no issue and others who found this a major problem also. I think the rooms on the street side are the noisy ones (ours certainly was) and the rooms on the other side of the hall were the quiet ones.

All the street `noise comes through the widnow even though it is closed, if these windows were retrofitted with double glazing then the noise issue would probably disappear. We got to sleep at about 4am each night.

This was the only issue at what was otherwise a great hotel. I would stay there again but would ask ahead if they had quiter rooms, if they didn't then I wouldn't stay again unfortunately or perhaps come equipped with ear plugs. Beds were excellent.

Room Tip: ask for a room not on the street side to avoid street noise at night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Kensington Park Hotel for 5 nights in April. While it's an older hotel, we found the size of the rooms adequate and the beds and linens extremely comfortable. No problem getting a good nights rest in these beds! Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. Location of hotel was great; convenient to cable cars, restaurants and luxury shopping. I would recommend this hotel to friends and will stay here again on my next San Fran trip.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor. We stayed on the 9th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Teresa H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate anytime our guests share there experience.

We are thrilled you had so many positives notes to share about our hotel and staff.
I am delighted to hear you feel that our beds and linen are extremely comfortable because a good night sleep is very important.

It is also wonderful to hear you enjoyed your visit in San Francisco.

We appreciate your business and thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends.

Again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was our second visit to the Kensington Park Hotel, and it was just as good this time. It's a lovely friendly hotel, with nice reception staff and a wonderful Concierge, Bob, who always has time for a chat and is very helpful. We were lucky to be given an upgrade to a King room, our bed was really comfy (one of the reasons we returned!) and our room was very clean and comfortable. The Hotel offers complimentary orange juice and coffee in the mornings and tea and sherry in the afternoons. It's really well situated, close to Union Square and within walking distance to Westfield and lots of cafes and shops. There is a nice little cafe a few doors down for breakfast. We feel very comfortable in this Hotel, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear FlemingsJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your return visit to Kensington Park and we are delighted to know our beds are one of many reasons for your return to our hotel. I agree with you, our beds are indeed very comfy. We hope to be your first choice of hotel whenever you’re traveling to San Francisco.
I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.

Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide to our guest. They will be delighted to hear they were successful in exceeding your expectations. I will pass on your nice comments to Bob and the entire staff. I am sure they will appreciate the mention.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon again.

Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the the Kensington Park Hotel this past March. We loved the service and the location of this location. We enjoyed everything about this hotel from the decor to the concierge service.
The hotel itself is on the older side but it added character and the overall experience was great. It's also dog friendly and on our first night the concierge treated us to a bottle of wine because we were on our honeymoon.
Thank you for making our stay memorable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Amanda S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I want to congratulate you and your husband for your recent Wedding Day and thank you for choosing Kensington Park to celebrate your honeymoon.
I am thrilled you and your husband had a great time and our staff will be delighted to hear they were a part of making your stay memorable.

Yes, were proud to say that we are indeed pet friendly. Did you see the cute water bowel and milk bones in the lobby for our pets?

Again, thank you for sharing your sentiments with us. We hope to welcome you and your husband back soon.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon and had a great experience. Front desk was great and the concierge. The union square location was great, and a short bus ride to any neighborhood. right next to the cable car line too. The bed was amazingly comfortable. afternoon tea and sherry were fun too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Joe F,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience on Trip Advisor. First of all I would like to congratulate you and your wife on your recent wedding. Thank you for choosing us to celebrate this special occasion.

We are humbled by you’re your kind words. It is our wish to provide you with the best service possible. Our team tries even more to deliver a truly unique experience. I am delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay.

We hope the opportunity to welcome you back.

Lilia Calvario

Been to The Kensington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!