“Over priced and not that good” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   450 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Elk Grove, California, United States
“Over priced and not that good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not bad, and not great. The rooms don't have ac, only a fan. The bed wasn't that comfortable and the pillow was very big and awkward. it was very LOUD at night. I'm talking about until like 4am. All we heard was yelling, fighting, and honking cars. The hotel says they have a fitness center, but they fail to mention that the center is a 5 minute walk down the street. I wouldn't stay here again. I actually want to give this place a 2, but my wife said that is a little harsh.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a good night sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dimitar S, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Rickie R,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Kensington Park Hotel. I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as anticipated. The hotel is not equipped with air conditioners, however every room has a ceiling fan and a portable fan is available upon request. The majority of the boutique hotels in the city do not have air conditioners, due to the fact that air temperature rarely exceeds 65 degrees in San Francisco.
I am very sorry that you found the pillow to be too big and awkward; we do offer standard size pillows upon request. The housekeeping staff would have been delighted to assist you with this issue. Street noise could be disturbing for people not used to urban noise. Perhaps one of our rooms facing the Nob Hill side of the building, located in the back of the hotel, would have been more suitable for your needs. Ear plugs are also available at the front desk upon request.
We do advertise complimentary use of Fitness Center at Hotel Diva on our website. I do apologize for the confusion regarding this matter and would like to assure you that we do not want to mislead our guests.
Please accept my deepest apology for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. I most certainly hope you will give Kensington Park Hotel another chance. Please contact me directly for future reservations so we can very well accommodate you.

Dimitar Stanev
Hotel Manager

719 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The Kensington Park Hotel is a really special place. The welcome I received at check-in was perfect. They even handled a perishable package that arrived before I did and they made me feel like a VIP. They were so friendly and attentive, especially Bob, who seemed to always be around when I needed help.

THE HOTEL is an original Elks hotel from the 1920s located in a safe well trafficked part of town. It looks very historic and the lobby has beautiful architectural features. There's a theater on the second floor and Elks meeting rooms on some of the other floors. The sense of history and the old world style are a real bonus to staying here. People here on TA have complained about smells and noisy pipes; I didn't encounter either. The lobby was lovely.

THE LOCATION can't be beat. It's right off Union Square where the iconic cable cars run up and down the hill. Theaters, restaurants and all the major shopping hotspots are right outside the door. It's easy to get cabs. For the price and quality, this is probably one of the best hotels in downtown SF.

THE ROOM was a little bit of a let down after seeing the beautiful lobby which has so much style and character. While the room was also stylish and recently updated, it could have been a little cleaner. It felt dusty, and the housekeeper missed some of the finer details like wiping down bathroom walls and doors. The bathroom floor tiles and tub look original from the 1920s and need some attention. Replacing some of the old baseboards and a good thorough dusting would go a long way. The mattress was a little worn but there was a feather bed to make up for that and it worked. I definitely slept well. The bedding was all clean, but If you have a problem with feathers, thats something you want to ask about in advance. There is alot of down on the bed. All the rest of the bath fixtures and room furniture are very new and in great shape. I liked the work desk, ample chairs, big closet and amenities like the flat screen tv, ceiling fan, iron and coffee maker. There were plenty of power outlets and everything was well placed. Even though I have some critiques, the room was totally fine and I was happy and comfortable. After the first day I felt like this was home. I would absolutely stay here again.

EXTRA TIPS: you can get a shared van to and from the airport for $15 - $17 each way. If you have a car, dont forget the high parking expense. This is downtown in a historic building not a 40 story mega hotel, so expect street noise. Thats part of the ambiance. I asked for a quiet room and they accommodated me on a higher floor, but I still heard the some sounds of the city. this actually added to the character, especially the jazz trumpeter who did a short concert on the street each night. Checkout is at noon and if you need a late checkout, they won't confirm it until they morning of departure. The wireless works very well. Theres no restaurant on site, but there is one right next door, so close it's almost like it's in the hotel. I had good service there but the food was just so so, especially for the price. It's better to take advantage of their happy hour discounted food and drinks.

Overall, if you get a good rate here, dont hesitate.

• Stayed February 2013
TheSteinhart, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear SapphireBoston,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
I am so sorry to hear that you found the room to be unclean. I do apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback. Cleanness is our number one priority; I can assure you that the issue has been addressed accordingly.

Thank you for staying with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back at Kensington Park Hotel in near future.

Best Regards,

Dimitar Stanev
Hotel Manager
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My daughter & I stayed here Friday evening. We got there around 4:30 & when we checked in we were told that there was sherry if we would like some. Well, of course! We got up to the room . It's an older type room, but very comfortable facing Union Square. It's close to shopping, restaurants & public transportation.
I have to say that the customer serviced in this hotel is amazing! The front desk & Rueben, the concierge were so much help and with smiles!
Yes, it is a little noisy. Every hotel that I've ever been in in San Francisco is. Just bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper
Will we go back? Yes :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear sls1047,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on TripAdvisor.
I am humbled by your kind words.
The staff at Kensington Park thrives to offer the best service we can possibly deliver to our guests and comments such as yours motivates us even more. I will pass on your nice comments to the front desk and Ruben. I am sure they will appreciate the mention.
We love it when a guest has the experience we want to deliver.

I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter joined us for a glass of sherry.

We look forward to your future visit.

Kind regards,
Lilia Calvario
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed at the kensington park hotel at end of Jan-start of Feb. we were a day late checking in due to missed flights and when we arrived our room was not ready because they sold the room for the night we missed. Only downside. The hotel is central to union square and Powell st. Cannot get any better in terms of a base point to shop San Fran. The rooms are spacious and bathroom is old in decor but functional. The staff are very friendly and always had a good morning for us. There is no gym but there is access to a near by Hotel Diva gym if you need. All in all a pleasant stay at the hotel and we would recommend it for a stay in beautiful San Fran, even with all the homeless people looking for handouts you cannot be but amazed by its beauty.

• Stayed January 2013
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed at the hotel in January, 2013. The hotel is comfortable and clean with a great location across the street from the Westin St. Francis. Nice, but not lavish. The bathroom is rather small, but for the $140 price in downtown San Francisco, it would be difficult to find a better hotel. I'll stay again next time in town on business or with family.

Room Tip: Coffee in the morning is available on the 9th and 11th floors. It's self service so it's eas...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

As with many hotels in San Francisco, this boutique hotel is in a very old building. As a result the insulation is not very good and noise from the street as well as the hallway travels into the room. For the first few nights we slept very bad as we are light sleepers however after buying earplugs this problem was resolved. At checkout we were told that if we had requested a room away from the street it would have been more quiet.
Check in was easy and quick. We had 2 adjoining rooms so space was sufficient for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers). Lighting is very dim in the room but so bright in the hallway, not sure why?
Valet parking is a little inconvenient as sometimes it can take up to 30 mins to get our car. Although we can call for it and come down when it is ready we still need to factor in this extra time. The street is so busy after 6pm that we just choose to either walk or take taxi as it is so hard to get our car during this time.
The location is very good as alot of restaurants and shopping is within walking distance. Pier 39 is also a short taxi ride away.
We appreciated the free coffee, tea and orange juice in the morning and the free coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the afternoon.
Overall we would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Soquel, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Sweet little hotel, very conveniently located near theaters and upscale shopping. The staff was helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed happy hour at the Farallon next door where drinks and great bar food (oysters anyone? Or beef sliders. . .) were $6 and made a meal. Our room was small but very clean and comfortable. Wish SF parking wasn't so expensive ($40 + 14% tax - per night) for those of us within driving distance!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear rdeichorn,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on Trip Advisor. Many of us agree with you about our convenient location. We appreciate you naming Kensington Park “Sweet little hotel.”
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the happy hour at the Farallon. I also hope you had a chance to enjoy a glass of sherry during our reception and the opportunity to listen to the pianist plays the piano during the reception on Wednesday’s and Friday’s.

We share all of the feedback and I can tell you, our team loves to hear it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Lilia Calvario

Been to The Kensington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!