“A Review 15 Years in the Making!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   450 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
“A Review 15 Years in the Making!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I just ran across the TripAdvisor listing for the Kensington Park Hotel and had to share a memory with the rest of my TripAdvisor family.

(FYI -- this is not a recent review) I started dating my wife in April of 1996. In September, we made our first trip together as a couple, and decided on San Francisco as a destination. I had contacted my travel agent and told him I wanted something romantic, close to everything and reasonably priced. He asked if I needed anything else and I suggested either a violinist or spanish guitar player in a courtyard playing up to her in the evenings. While the musicians never materialized, everything else was met to perfection with his booking of the Kensington Park for us.

Upon check-in, we were told that our travel agent had gotten us an upgrade. We took our keys and headed up to our floor. As I walked down the hallway, I read the room numbers, looking room #920: 912, 914, 916... the last two doors were marked "Presidential Suite." "No way," I thought and tried the key. The door opened on about 2000 square feet of opulence: lead crystal chandelier above the 12 person dining table, two full bathrooms with jacuzzi's, a reading/music area and an oversized king bed on a pedestal sitting four feet off the floor, with a control panel on the wall for the fireplace, television, lights and curtains! Wow!

The staff at the Kensington was nothing short of sensational. Everyone there offered their opinions on restaurants, tours, activities, shopping... they were all great! Here's a hot tip: there are 22 restaurants that will deliver to the Kensington Park! You never have to leave the hotel. I have a photograph of my wife lounging on a couch in our suite, looking like the cat who ate the canary! It's one of my favorite pictures of all time.

The Kensington Park Hotel was instrumental in the formation of a relationship that led to a great marriage and I will always look fondly on our days and nights there. While we haven't been back since, I am very happy to hear that the service and style of this grand San Francisco treat haven't changed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

The location of this hotel is amazing, it is so central. The room was lovely but very small, 2 double beds and two sets of luggage left no room to swing a cat. En suite was good though and very importantly, the room was always clean. Beds were fantastic, we could have brought them home with us if possible!
Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had a fantastic 3 days in this hotel this October. The staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful, great concierge who gave no end of useful advice.

The location is perfect for exploring what San Fran has to offer both during the day and at night - it's literally a 1 min walk to Union Square off which are great bars restaurants and shops - this is also one of the stops for the various tour buses.

The beds are very comfy and rooms a good size for a central hotel and there is free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

My only (very minor) gripe is that there are no tea & coffee making facilities, although you can order coffee to your room from the cafe a couple of doors down the street with breakfast or lunch.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a central location (including families).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Kensington Park for a week at the end of August for our 15th Anniversary.

We arrived early and they let us in immediately which was very much appreciated given we had an early flight in cramped quarters.

I have never stayed at a place where the concierge was as helpful or knowledgeable as this hotel. The location can't be beat. It was within a 30 second walk of Union Square. There were plenty of good (not great) restaurants near by. Be forewarned though - if you don't want a view of the parking lot, bring ear plugs. This part of the city never seems to sleep and the windows are only single pane. If you're good with this as we were, then by all means stay here. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay, I would give anything around Union Square a pass.

The hotel was clean, the maid service prompt and professional and beds just divine. There is an entire Edwardian meets modern flair about the hotel that I just loved.

Room Tip: Rooms away from street quieter but view is boring
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nowra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This was the first stop on our first visit to the USA. If first impressions are important, this hotel ticks the right boxes. I've given it (only) four stars because we did enjoy some outstanding b&bs in Britain but we would have no qualms in recommending this to anyone. It may not be the newest hotel in town but it is wonderfully atmospheric and is beautifully located. You won't be disappointed. As a bonus, there's a very good value diner, for breakfast, just a couple of doors up.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed at the Kensington for the end of our Honeymoon and couldn't have chosen a better place. The staff were great, and we even had our room upgraded for the occasion. Although not huge, the room was luxurious with a fantastically comfy bed and a really well set up bathroom.

We loved our stay here and can't wait to return.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

The hotel is located right next to Union Square. Convenient for shopping and transport but lacking nice bars in the area. These are within 15-20 min walk away though.
We had a corner room on the 10th floor with fantastic views over the city. The bed was unbelievably comfortable. The bathroom fine, but a little small. Apparently this is the case for all corner rooms due to the layout. It was still more than adequate though and the views are worth the slightly smaller bathroom.

Staff were very friendly and a business centre with printers available which was useful for checking into your flight or doing some last minute San Fran research.

I would definitely recommend staying here, especially for couples. The hotel was romantic, friendly and a bit different from the massive international chains.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have amazing views (make sure you are on floor 9 or above) but cost more than the s...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kensington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!