“Better than expected...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on Castro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn on Castro
You added Inn on Castro to your Saves list
321 Castro Street, San Francisco, CA 94114 (The Castro)   |
Ranked #2 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, Texas
“Better than expected...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

My boyfriend and I were in town celebrating our 4 year anniversary. This was our first time in SF together. You can't beat this location. Inn on Castro is a half a block from Castro & Market. There's a Muni station on the corner - very convenient for getting around SF. We chose to do a lot of walking. We walked to Alta Vista park, Alamo Square park, Haight/Ashbury neighborhood, through Golden Gate Park to Ocean Beach. One day we walked all the way to Pacific Heights...this was a workout, but well worth it for the magnificent views and gorgeous Victorian homes.

Jan (pronounced yawn) greeted us at the door and walked us up to the dining room where he kindly informed us that we had been upgraded since our room was being occupied by someone who had extended their stay. Jan gave us a map of the city and a few pointers and a list of local eateries in the neighborhood. He showed us to our room and we were on our way. We stayed in the red room with a king size bed and private bathroom. We were pleasantly surprised that the broadband was free. We also took advantage of the complimentary water and soft drinks in the hallway fridge - we did a lot of walking! The room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was delicious. Jan had a full spread of fruit, baked goods, cereal, freshed brewed coffee and took orders of scrambled eggs and sausage one day and cheese the other.

Needless to say, we plan to make Inn on Castro our home away from home for our future SF trips.

-R.G.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
eureka,ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

My husband & I found Inn on Castro very comfortable, quiet. Jan, the owner, was helpful, giving good recommendations on local restaurants and advice on travel by muni. Our room was quiet, wonderful views of the city. Plus a good breakfast is prepared by Jan every morning. Eating with other guests affords one to meet and exchange with those coming from far away. We highly recommend Inn on Castro. Beds comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed at the Inn for two separate visits at the end of October. I found the Inn to be spotlessly clean, the Inn keeper to be warm and welcoming, the rooms to be exactly as described on the web site. The number one selling point has to be the location, easy to get to downtown on the metro, plenty of good restaurants within a short walking distance and of course a short stagger bak after a night out on the town!

Visitors should take a good look at the web site before booking. If you are after some 5 star luxury hotel with aloof non friendly service then this is not the place for you.

I stayed in two rooms, white and hide-away.... Both were exactly as described on the web site. Again they are not 5 star luxury rooms, but both were clean with a lot of mod cons!

I was traveling alone as my stay in SF was tagged onto a business trip. I was made to feel very welcome and I appreciated the fact that the breakfast table was a shared experience with other visitors.

Thanks again to Jan for making me feel so welcome!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

The location is unbeatable, the Innkeeper is really nice and made me a cute breakfast, and very comfortable stay! I loved the decor; lots of character! I actually had to move to the Westin hotel (at St. Francis for work) after staying at the Inn on Castro for 3 nights, but really missed the Inn on Castro even though the Westin Hotel cost double the rate of the inn. Will definitely stay there everytime I visit SF!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I stayed in a 2 bedded apartment on Caselli. The apartment is large with 2 double bedrooms. The interior was dated and looked as though it was furnished with a collection of cast-offs from other properties. The original art was dreadful. The TV was in one of the bedrooms (and not in the living room) and that created conflicts over use. The internet only worked with a direct wire connection (the one supplied was very short) and was in the same room as the TV (further conflict and very difficult to work. Fortunately I was travelling with a computer engineer who got things to work in 10 minutes - I doubt that most people are as fortunate). The living room had leather furniture and we both slipped off the chairs and quickly gave up on trying to sit there.
Jan (the host) was friendly and welcoming, and my travelling companion who hadn't been to SF before found this helpful.
The bathroom had recently been refurbished and was fine. The kitchen was large but basically furnished. The kitchen cabinets are the kind your mum threw out in the 1960s. There was a small deck but hemmed in and so no views or sense of space.
We stayed for the location and this was excellent - Castro Street is near and amazing views from Twin Peaks. Castro Street station (for the trams to down town) is about a 4 block walk. The restaurants and bars in Castro are varied and many unique. Jan had a useful restaurent list.
No washing machine, but there was an iron and board supplied.
Disappointing for the rate charged (but SF is expensive and for people from outside the city can appear to be poor value). With a little thought and investment this could be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

This B&B was excellent! I don't even like B&Bs, but the Innkeeper, Jan, pronounced Yawn, with his warmth and welcoming manner had me at the proverbial "Hello". I chose it on the internet and primarily because of the $. The furnishings were modest, but I loved my room with bay windows on the street. I stayed 4 night and the sheets were changed after 2 days......not even that note in the room saying that you should conserve on the water.....I mean what is a vacation if not for clean linens. Breakfast was sumptuous... an immense bowl of assorted fruit.....FRESH and not just melon. Of course there was cereals of all kinds, and homemade zucchini bread, but imagine this.....Pancakes, Eggs Benedict, Waffels were made to order!!!! None of that disgusting reheated egg casserole concoction that many hotels serve. The down side was that I had to share a bathroom which I knew in advance, but that also made it less expensive. The Castro area was lots of fun...and an eye full ...lots of nice store, fantastic knitting shop, chocolate shop, health food store as well. Other residence were friendly. The INNKEEPER was the BEST.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
The Hague, Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed twice in June 2009 and both times it felt like home: a warm welcome, a perfect breakfast while you meet the other guests, Jan has a great sense of humor and is willing to answer all your questions. The rooms are all different (in size and furniture).
You are in the heart of Castro, so there's no better place......enjoy, like we did!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn on Castro? Share your experiences!