“nice treat in the bay area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #89 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Brussels, Belgium
“nice treat in the bay area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

overall good hotel, with very friendly staff. the bar can have weird atmosphere some nights, but fun to warch... great location close to union square and market street.... bathrooms are quite basic vs the rest of the rooms. very comfi beds....

Room Tip: make sure to get a superior room, the standar ones are really standard. rooms on upper floors are qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hello anitve,

Thanks for the great review. I agree, the beds are very comfortable! Be sure to visit soon!

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed at many Morgans hotels during my travels and found The Clift to be the best.
The lobby and furnishings throughout the hotel were beautiful - I loved the clubby feel and the oversized chairs.
Our room was spacious and the bed was amazingly comfortable with lovely plush linens and pillows.
Everyone we encountered at The Clift (doormen, concierge etc) were extremely helpful and friendly and provided us with excellent recommendations for restaurants etc.
The hotel itself is very well located close to Union Square and the shopping precinct. We used the Hop On Hop Off bus for sightseeing and transportation and the stop at Union Square was perfect walking distance for us.
My only gripe with The Clift and other Morgans hotels is that they charge for wifi!!! In this day and age and with the price of the rooms, SURELY wifi can be provided free of charge. I would even prefer to pay $15 extra in the room rate than have it as an extra charge upon arrival. I really don't understand the logic...
I highly recommend The Clift and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Hi BBriedis,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We work hard to ensure your experience is everything it can be and I am happy to hear that we succeeded. It means so much to us to hear about your perspective and the positive feedback is just an added bonus for us!

I understand your concern about the internet. In this day and age, you would expect this to be free, which is why a majority of rates offered now include internet, including our third party reservations like Expedia. Next time you stay with us, we will make sure you are paired with the right reservation for your needs and expectations. Have a great day!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Clift on my recent business trip. I got lucky as there was a conference in SF that week and all hotels were sold out including this one but one opened up, and I was able to snap it up the day before I arrived. The lucky part was also that I would have normally stayed at the usual hotels that I normally stay at if they were not sold out - so I got to experience the Clift. Now, I must say that this was an exceptional experience as I was upgraded to the deluxe suite on the 8th floor (thank you Pamela!), I believe. The suite is bigger than my condo! It has a living room and an 8-person dining area, a separate bedroom with an en suite powder room and bathroom. It's unfortunate that I didn't really get to enjoy it since I checked in late and checked out early (I guess that's why I got the upgrade as it was turned over very quickly). Nonetheless, it was an awesome room. The lobby is quite cool - like the vibe, love the giant size chair and the bar serves good cocktails (had cocktails here in prior visits to SF not during this visit). Have heard about a Red Room but haven't visited. Oh and the amenities are pretty awesome.

Room Tip: Room 828 was awesome and great for big group.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello Scouting_the_world,

Thanks for your feedback. I love our deluxe suites as well! They are a great size, they are fun, and very comfortable rooms. It is too bad you did not get to enjoy it longer but makes for a good excuse to come back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

When I entered the hotel I was impressed by the stylish lobby with an oversized chair, and many areas with chairs and sofas.

My room was on the 17th floor, quite large and very pleasant, with a very comfortable king bed. Curiously the bathroom was small, with a shower inside the tub (it's never as good as a real separate shower). Some renovation would be great in the bathroom.

For breakfast the choice was decent but not fantastic.

The bar was very lively most of the nights, it's definitively a great place to have a drink and for fun (very good music).

The staff was very nice, especially the concierge (very helpful to find tickets for Alcatraz).

As for the location it's about 5 minutes walking from Union Square, it's perfect to explore San Francisco.

Overall it's a great hotel, very stylish and lively.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hi Chris75,

Thank you for your kind words! If you were on the 17th floor, then you were probably in my favorite room in the whole hotel! The 17th floor is one of the best kept secrets about our hotel, as each room affords sweeping views of the city and the high ceilings make the space just beautiful. It's also a nice treat to be on a floor with only 3 other rooms so you have more privacy.

I am so happy to hear about your experience and very thankful that you took the time to provide us a review from your perspective.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The CLIFT San Fran is a hip downtown hotel and maybe a little too much so for my personal taste. The lobby is impressive and I was excited when I walked in but then I got to the room and I was disappointed. I've been in tiny big city rooms before in SF and NYC but I felt this was a little spartan, particularly in the bathroom. I really hated the tub and toilet and virtually no space to even turn around in. I felt like you could barely close the door behind you. The bed was pretty comfortable and they have a nice iPod docking station in there. Overall I was underwhelmed by the room.

The restaurant right behind the lobby turns into a total nightclub after 9 p.m. so keep that in mind if you're staying with kids or want a nice quiet romantic place. If you are staying there for either of those things I suggest something else. If you want a thumping atmosphere with lots of people getting bottle service and loud music and an energizing scene...this is the place for you!
But keep in mind the rooms are just ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello Kiwic01,

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is an invaluable tool we use to continue to make improvements within our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed the lobby and you found the bed to be comfortable, however I am disappointed that you were underwhelmed with the room overall. I am so sorry you felt this way and I can understand wanting to come back to a warm, comfortable room and bathroom. We are here for you 24 hours a day and if size is ever an issue, we have plenty of other room categories we would be happy to show you. Please come back soon and feel free to call the hotel ahead of time if you have any questions.

Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were 2 couples that booked The Clift Hotel for 3 nights with Hotels.com.

The lobby area was clean, reception was helpful when accommodating our needs.

We booked a Loft suite for each couple. The room we were shown was awful. Filthy carpets - so dirty or stained that you really did not want to take your shoes off. There were marks on the walls, and the service elevator was next door and was loud. We were given the option of another room without the service elevator noise but it was just as dirty and smaller so we stayed in the room given.

I could barely imagine staying here one night but we were paid so I I contacted Hotels.com to find out if The Four Seasons was available and if we could check out of The Clift Hotel early without penalty. Here's were it get's complicated when trying to get a refund. I contacted Hotels.com and asked if we would be getting a full refund minus one night's stay if we changed our booking to check out in the morning. They said yes, as long as The Clift Hotel agreed to the changes and refund. All I had to do was to contact Hotels.com after I checked out and they would contact The Clift Hotel to verify we checked out and then would provide us the refund for the remaining nights we would not be staying. I then got off the phone and spoke with The Clift reception. They said we would get a full refund no problem. Then I booked The Four Seasons for the remainder of the stay through Hotels.com. We checked out the following morning.

I contacted Hotels.com to contact The Clift after we had checked out to verify we had checked out. A week later after we returned from our trip, our credit card was still not refunded the remaining nights at The Clift Hotel. Hotels.com told me The Clift would not provide the refund for the remaining nights. Wow. I spoke with reception and The Clift Hotel Manager and kept getting the runaround. No one wanted to take responsibility. It seemed like both parties could not verify what went wrong. Many phone calls later both to The Clift and Hotels.com I was becoming frustrated (likely at this point most people would give up - which is likely what they wanted). Finally, I was told that when I checked out I was to call Hotels.com IMMEDIATELY and then pass over the phone to The Clift reception so they could verify check out LIVE. Because we didn't do this exact protocol, (which I was never told about when I called Hotels.com or The Clift to verify the refund), we would not be getting a full refund.

In the end, The Clift Hotel would not budge and refused to honour us a refund for nights we didn't stay but Hotels.com offered us a partial refund and took some responsibility.

What an annoyance that whole process was. No one was clear whether on purpose or not. Lesson learned.

The Clift Hotel was filthy and their customer service and conflict resolution leaves much to be desired. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
hello Canadian-blue,

I am more than upset about your review. This is not the business we run here and would like the opportunity to speak with you. I must apologize for the dirty room you encountered at first, and I can assure you that this was an exception. We offer the most impressive accommodations and service around.

As far as your departure and the mess with hotels.com...I am terribly sorry.

The issue with booking through a third party website is that for the most part, they are non refundable unless there is an emergency, and these websites will hardly budge. From your review it certainly seems like you got the run-around and I do apologize for that. Our service is world renowned and would never ever do this to a customer.

Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

You'll hear a lot about the scene at the bar. $260 for a good-sized room (studio) that's well designed, feels new, and has parking for $18 if are willing to walk half a block is pretty amazing for the area. Didn't dig the bar or restaurant all that much. Both just were kind of gimmicky if you ask me. Breakfast room service was also bad.

Long story short - come for the rooms. Good room service from Eduardo and good help booking the room from Jolene. I'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing north. Avoid the breakfast room service.
hey Amit78k,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your business. I am sorry the room service breakfast was not up to your standards. I can assure you there must have been miscommunication because we do not hear about this issue too often. Regardless, I am happy that service and room, the two most important things for a welcoming stay, were up to both of our standards!

Ian

Been to Clift Hotel San Francisco? Share your experiences!