“Very hip, chic, a little on the small side” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #87 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Very hip, chic, a little on the small side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just spent the long weekend at the Clift hotel and will say that the staff was extremely nice and the decor in the lobby is super chic. The rooms on the other hand, are small (and this is coming from someone who lives in Manhattan).

The pros
Great location
Nice staff
Clean rooms
Room service was awesome

Cons
Small rooms
Fitness center is lacking serious cardio equipment
Pricey

I would probably stay here again if I got a great deal. I wish I had asked for a bigger room because that literally would be worth the price.

Room Tip: I would ask for a bigger room. I stayed in a king room (standard) and it was tiny and hard to move a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hey mountainview,

All of us here at Clift appreciate the review and we are happy you found our service to be welcoming and accommodating. The hotel is made to be your home away from home, an escape from reality. We have many different room options and next time you stay with us please ask the front desk for some additional information on those rooms.

Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Tremendous visit last week to my new favorite hotel in SF. After a previous bad visit back in September of 2012, I reached out to the front desk manager (who had reached out to me after reading my negative review). The Front Desk manager was seemingly horrified about my review and AWESOME in her response...said "give me a yell next time you are back in SF". For my recent vist, I did exactly that and was treated to first class treatment upon my arrival. I received an upgrade to a "loft" room...and a nice note in my suite. Trip Advisor WORKS!!! The Clift is my new favorite. Thanks guys

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello scootermc,

I am so happy we could turn a negative experience into a positive. That is what we are all about here at Clift, making sure the guest maximizes their stay in SF while coming "home" to a comfortable bed and a unique hotel experience. I am happy we won you over and please continue to visit.

Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed for two nights in one of the hotels "mini-suites" and were delighted with the decor, space, hotel amenities and especially with the room service, My wife recounts calling room service, hanging up the phone, immediately followed by a knock the door - without our order. We were in town just prior to Christmas when there was a congregation of Santa clad individuals filling every restaurant and bar seat in the area. While many establishment chose to close during the Santa raid, including the bar and restaurant at The Clift, it was an exceptional property at a great value inthe heart of a great city. We will be back.

Room Tip: Go with a suite. It's worth the cost and standard rooms can be very, very, very small.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hey Kevin T,

Thanks for the wonderful review. I am happy you enjoyed yourself and I hope the "Santas" did not get in the way of your trip! Please come again soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

we just went for my birthday on january 7, service was slow and terrible at the restaurant, bathrooms old: bath tub brooken, toilet didnt flush, bell boy never showed.... so expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont recomend!!! terrible

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello Monica O,

I am so sorry for your disappointing stay and would love the opportunity to speak with you, as it sounds like we failed you on multiple levels. I see that the bathroom was not in the shape we would expect and the restaurant was not up to our standards..How was the service from the front desk?

McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I'm a bit remiss in this review, as I had the pleasure of staying at the Clift for a conference last August. I had been in contact with their manager, David, prior to arrival, and he ensured that everything was brilliant for me from checkin to checkout. The location was perfect for walking trips to Union Square and The Embarcadero, jaunts by trolley to Fisherman's Wharf, car service to Sausalito (I use Uber!), and public transport to Golden Gate Park. The room was clean and comfortable, with very little outside noise pollution. There was ample space to unpack and get comfortable for my week stay, and everyone I encountered on the staff was extremely friendly. The bathroom was small, but clean, and I even enjoyed a bath or two without trepidation! This was one of the most relaxing experiences I've had in a hotel, and I have to say much of it was due to great management. Thank you David, and thank you Morgans Hotel, for yet another great experience. There's a reason why your chain is one of my favorites, and I look forward to staying at the Clift again soon!

Room Tip: Try to get up higher and more "interior" to get away from street and lobby noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello Tara C,

Thanks for your thoughtful review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and I am beyond excited that you found everything to be up to both of our expectations and standards. Please come again soon.

Lijiang, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I just spend Chirsimas in San Fransisco with my family, this was the second time we stayed in this hotel, and when we return to the Bay City area we will probably stay there again, as we were very happy during our stay on both ocasions.

It is a very stylish hotel with a very unique and conventional look and feel, the feel of the long hallways with mirrors and designer chairs, and even the decoration of the rooms gave me a feel that reminded me of a David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick movie, now that is not exactly cozy and it may not appeal to everyone, but if you are looking for a unique hotel with it's own personality and feel this is a good place.

The bar is amazing just being there makes you feel like you are hanging with the jet set, I must say that all the hostesses were gorgeous and a bit flirty that was probaly the main reasons that kept me coming back to their watering hole, but drinks were very good and they had some very nice original concotions, and the place was always packed with what seemed as very cool and fashionable people.

The location is unbeatable and e service is quite good, all in all a very nice high end hotel, my only complaint was the restaurant, we went there for dinner one day, and the food was very mediocre, not terrible or anything but not good especially not worth it for the prices you pay, I was quite disappointed as last time we were there the restaurant Asia de Cuba used to be there and it was really, really good, unfortunately it is gone now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CliftFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hello David R,

Thank you very much for your great review on our unique property. I am happy you enjoyed yourself and it seems as if the Redwood Room treated you well. We all hope to see you soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel was very clean, stylish and well located.
As an animal lover I found it ironic that pets of all shapes and sizes are welcome, yet the lobby area has massive pieces of dead animals skins, etc displayed....hmmm.
Although the restaurant atmosphere is absolutely stunning with a fantastic ambience, my friend and I got food poisening from the eggs we ate at breakfast. There were three of us and two ate the eggs, shortly after we were very ill.....all day riding the porceline train in the bathroom!!
Needless to say, the staff acknowledged our complaint and knocked off about $150 from our bill on checkout.
I wouldn't let the egg experience ruin such a lovely stay though, and you couldn't ask for a better location either!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hey Chilli,

Thanks for your review! I am happy you enjoyed yourself. I am sorry about the eggs and I am completely shocked to read that, but I am happy we worked everything out and you found the service to be up to both of our standards. I hope to see you soon.

Ian

Been to Clift Hotel San Francisco? Share your experiences!