“Perfect for our Needs. Efficient, Clean, and Reasonable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cartwright Union Square

You added Hotel Cartwright Union Square to your Saves list
Hotel Cartwright Union Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   524 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Larkspur Hotel Union Square) (Union Square)   |
Ranked #126 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Fraser, Colorado
“Perfect for our Needs. Efficient, Clean, and Reasonable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We loved our experience at the Hotel Cartwright. It's located in a very safe/popular area of Union Square. The Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly (special thanks to Concierge Kevin). I had read reviews knocking the size of the rooms. They were definitely small, but I had to admire the efficient use of space. The rates were very reasonable and I loved that they could use the space creatively to accommodate a lower price. Parking also seemed to be the most reasonable in the area. We were able to walk with ease to the Ferry Building and Fisherman's Warf. The BART train to the airport was also very easy (we only had a car for a couple days). Very clean and up-to-date rooms. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Palm Desert, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel allows dogs, so all night long doors were banging with a lot of barking going on. ?Rooms were dark and dim and the bathroom was really small. we used a lot of points for this room with the only amenity, 2 bathrobes. Steam heat was noisy.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
White River Junction, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I only stayed at the Cartwright for one night, but I'd definitely go back if I'm ever in SF again. My room had twin beds and a low price to match, making it an excellent value in a great location by Union Square. My room looked out to an ivy covered outdoor space and was really quiet. Free wifi was good, but the best part was the helpful hotel staff. They treated me to a cup of tea after a long day walking around the city and scheduled pick up by an airport van for me. Thanks Hotel Cartwright!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in San Francisco on business fir a few days. My company put me up at this hotel. My front desk clerk Edward took exceptional care of me and upgraded me to a king room. The room was beautiful. However the bathroom was so small that I had to look twice to make sure this wasn't some kind of joke. All in all the hotel was great. It's location is in the heart of Union Square and after business I was in shopping heaven. Parking is $29.00 plus tax and tge lot is a block and a half away. Great billiards and bar across the srteet. My coworkers and I had a ball there. Would I come back here to the Cartwright? Yes most definitely. Thanks Edward fir your kindness and great smile. You rock!!

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at the Cartwright hotel for 2 nights and found it to be a clean , pleasant with an ambient old style charm .
Initially I found the downtown union square location somewhat confronting , with a lot of homeless people living on the streets , but this area is very central and within walking distance to so many of the local attractions , and a good base to see all that is so see in San Francisco .
I would recommend this hotel , the staff are low key , but helpfull . I rang house keeping for an extra blanket and there was the maid at the door less than 2 minutes later with a blanket .
I would happily stay there again .

• Stayed February 2015
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Okay, so just for the record I have worked in the hospitality industry and try to be very lax about this thing. I don't think I've ever written a bad review before. This place made me think it was a moral issue to warn people though.

I can't think of a nicer way to put this, than that this is a laughable joke of a hotel. I don't normally stay anywhere nicer than three stars, but this place had me reminiscing for noisy hostels from my backpacking days in Europe.

The room is claustrophobically tiny, so much so that the sink juts into the shower stall--the sink is literally in the shower. If you are used to a normally proportioned bathroom you might also hit your hip really, really, hard on the sink in your shower. Just a warning.

There is no thermostat. There is no AC. There is some type of antiquated six gear heater that provides no guidance on how much hit will come out at any given level, and no thermostat to tell you what effect the indecipherable device is having on your temperature.

The wifi went completely down a good chunk of my trip. As this trip was for work, this really messed up my plans.

Union Square is lovely, but the street the Cartwright is on reeks of marijuana almost in a religiously regular schedule from 6 to 7:30 this evening. With no AC and your windows forced to be open there is nothing to do but absorb the odor, even if that isn't your particular cup of tea.

And then--I've been to god knows how many continents, and all across the US--they don't take your card in the event of incidentals like most places. They take your card and then FREEZE the funds for alleged incidentals that you have not incurred your entire stay. Mine was over a week, and so i had about two hundred dollars put in limbo even though I didn't incur incidentals, and I've been back for days now and still not had the money freed up.

The staff are unhelpful. The only redeeming feature of this place is its location, which is no virtue of its management or staff, but mere circumstance.

I will never, ever, ever, ever stay in this horrific joke of a hotel again. Honestly I would have happily substituted a two hour BART ride from a Motel 6 as WAY preferable to my experience here.

Room Tip: Good luck, to my knowledge there are none.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have not stayed in the city before, normally on the outskirts, but this hotel would make me think twice about that the next time I am in San Francisco! From the moment we stepped in the door, the service we received was impeccable. Our rooms weren't ready at 1pm when we arrived, but our bags were whisked away without question until our return. When we got back, not one but BOTH of our rooms had been upgraded as a courtesy for us. WOW! We stayed for 2 nights, and each team member we came in contact with was courteous and helpful. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Cartwright Union Square? Share your experiences!