“Luxury in small space” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cartwright Union Square

You added Hotel Cartwright Union Square to your Saves list
Hotel Cartwright Union Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   524 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Larkspur Hotel Union Square) (Union Square)   |
Ranked #129 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Loyalton, California, USA
“Luxury in small space”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Although this was about the smallest room I'd ever stayed in, the furnishings and staff more than made up for lack of walking around room. There was a comfortable bed with luxurious linens. The bathroom was also small, but there was plenty of hot water and citrus scented bath products that made me feel totally refreshed. There was Wi-Fi and computers for guest use off the lobby in a small private area. The fireplace, sofas and initmate bar made me feel more than welcome. The staff granted my every wish (nothing unreasonable), and I was within walking distance of many San Francisco attraction areas. And there was FREE garage parking!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room. The fire escape showed that they exist. Take an upper floor for a quiet room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for two nights this week and upon leaving, I can safely say we were pleased with our stay. That said, I'd like to point out a few things. For starters, it was annoying to learn that the parking garage is not located near the hotel. It is the street behind the hotel and quite a schlep with all your luggage in tow. We later learned that they allow a ten minute time of parking in front of the hotel to drop off luggage prior to parking and we took advantage of this option upon check out. This would not work for anyone who may be traveling alone. Once we were checked in, we headed to our room and immediately wanted to switch hotels. The room, while very clean, was at the end of a hall, shoved into a corner making for a very small and very odd shaped room. It was impossible to move around without bumping furniture or each other and we couldn't open the bathroom door if the closet was open or if anyone was sitting at the desk. The view was more scary than pleasant, being of an alley/rooftop and since we were on the corner of the building, our window looked straight into the window of the building next to us. I could literally reach out and touch their window. And because there wasn't any ac, the window would have to be open for any air to circulate. The bathroom, which was smaller than the closet, was so tight, I could sit on the toilet and fully wash my hands in the sink at the same time. Not that I actually did this but, it was possible should I have desired to do so. We decided that it would be too much of a pain to change hotels and we'd already paid in full so we decided to stick it out but to also see if perhaps we could switch rooms. The man at the desk was immediately accommodating, switching us to a new room and offering to assist with luggage. Our new room was perfect and all of our complaints about the first room were of no issue. The room had a much better layout and we could both easily move about the room. The view was of other buildings but at a distance, not within reach, so we felt safer in that regards when it came to having our window open. The bathroom too was more spacious and with a better layout. Overall, we were very comfortable following the initial room change. The hotel is old and charming. Very, very clean everywhere. Excellent location. Accommodating and eager to please staff. Reasonable prices. We would easily book a room here again so long as we didn't get stuck in a corner room again.

Room Tip: Get a mid hallway room, not a corner room!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

First time in San Francisco and worst experience you can possibly imagine. Hotel staff came into our room even though our 'Do Not Disturb' sign was on the door. We were not in the room, but we knew someone had come in because they had left a bucket of ice. I told the front desk (Tai and Lilian) what happened and that I was unhappy, because 1. I have never had that happen in any hotel anywhere and 2. the bathroom door did not shut, so someone could have come in while I was in the shower with the door open.

Instead of apologizing, they argued with me that someone from my room had ordered the ice. When I told them that we were out at the time, they said that someone else must have given them the wrong room number. We asked why they would go in when no one answered the door. They said it was their policy to go in even if the sign was on the door! I said that was ridiculous and got even more angry. Then a shouting match ensued with me and the front desk women (Tai and Lilian). Ultimately a man came out claiming to be the manager (Ronnie). He asked me to talk to him outside (which I refused), then asked ME to calm down instead of immediately telling Tai to stop shouting. The whole time I was talking to the manager, Tai kept screaming at me from across the room and said things like "You need to get laid." Ultimately, my boyfriend and I left, since even the manager never acknowledged that what they did was wrong and no one ever ONCE said sorry, which is all I had expected.

If the manager handles situations by by telling guests to calm down when the hotel has done something wrong and never saying sorry, that says a LOT about the hotel for me. Honestly, I suspect they come in with the ice bucket to scope out the room and since it would be awkward to be caught leaving with the ice bucket, they leave it in the room and claim it was all a mistake. That is the only reason that Tai could have been so personally angered that I complained.

Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Pros:
Cheap (especially relative to other nearby hotels)
Clean
All the essentials were present and in good order
Friendly staff

Cons:
Soft beds in which I could feel a bit of the springs
Nothing really above what's needed.
Some street noise early morning from trucks, etc.

Overall: I got this hotel at the last minute for a one night stay in SF somewhere near to Union Square. My criteria was that it was cheap, clean, and affordable. This hits each of those marks and for that it can't possibly be anything less than average. The reason I give it an "average" rating mainly is because the bed was soft and springs were noticeable through the sheets. The second slightly less significant con is that street noise is fairly audible (at least in the room I stayed in, which in fact didn't face street side).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We love coming to the Hotel Cartwright near Union Square. We have returned here again and again. The staff welcomes us like old friends. The rooms are small but charming. The beds and linens are dreamy. The pricing is very reasonable. Look for specials on their website.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back if you want quiet
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

It was my first time in San Francisco and this little hotel was in the perfect location! Edward at the front desk was an absolute pleasure to work with. I was on the 7th floor overlooking the hustle and bustle of the street, but it was still very quiet in the room. I am picky about my bed, and this one was to die in. Very comfortable and great linens. The rooms are small and beautiful with all you need. They also have safe deposit boxes available at the desk for personal use. Igor was willing and available for a private car for the same price as a taxi, which I took advantage of. Check out time was at noon giving me plenty of time to go out in the morning before my departure as well. There is a beautiful parlor with a fireplace and lounge area. I would return here time and again. I found this hotel on a coupon, but will be a customer for life.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you are looking for a short stay and want to be near Union Square, shopping, etc. this is a great option. Rooms are extremely small however still well equipped. Loved the quirky nature of the hotel and authentic features that appear everyeher from the lobby to the rooms themselves. Great value for money compared to some of the chain hotels around. The common areas are beautifully kept. No restaurant but the diner next door is a great option for breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room for a quieter sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Cartwright Union Square? Share your experiences!