“No Complaints!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cartwright Union Square

You added Hotel Cartwright Union Square to your Saves list
Hotel Cartwright Union Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   524 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Larkspur Hotel Union Square)   |
Ranked #112 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“No Complaints!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Before I booked this hotel, I read through the reviews and I have to say some of you made me laugh!!! Here is the deal with the Larkspur...Yes, the rooms are small but they are no smaller than most NYC apartments, at least the one I live in! haha. We stayed just for one night in late October 2012. For one night or a weekend, this place is fine. Only good for individuals or couples and defintely not for families because of the size.
The room/bathroom were clean and the bed was very comfortable with nice sheets. The location cannot be beat, as it is right in Union Square! We arrived a bit early and the staff placed our bags in a locked room. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The lobby was lovely and had an old charm about it.
Overall, this is a nice, old but charming, no frills hotel that is good for a couple of days in the beautiful bay city. I liked this hotel and would be open to staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LHUSmanager, General Manager at Hotel Cartwright Union Square, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Sarc1,

Thank you for taking the time to write an extremely fair review. Everything you said is right to the point an accurate. We pride ourselves in being authentic and transparent and you truly captured that in your review. We want to make sure each of our guests get a clean room and friendly service. We may not wow you with our rooms, but we know we are going to wow you with our location.

Please come visit us again. If you have a moment we would appreciate it if you like us on Facebook.

Steven Viscio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

There was a big conference on in town & this was one of the few hotels available within a couple of weeks notice of my trip.

The location is great, 2 minutes from Union Square, lots of shops, restaurants and an easy hop onto the cable car down to Fishermans Wharf. The staff were also great, super friendly & helpful - really couldn't do enough for you. There is also free WiFi which is a bonus.

I was however, disappointed with the room. It is small & outdated, the bathroom requires renovation & there is no way I would of used the bath. I do appreciate that this is an old building & there is sometimes only so much you can do without having to sink in massive investment.

Overall staff were great, great location, comfy bed & clean rooms but because of the dated decor I would say it was just average - a great base for a break but not for business if you intend at all to work in the room as you dont want to stay in there for long!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear jo_hearts_holidays.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the balance and honesty in your review. Like many of the boutique hotels in San Francisco our rooms are smaller due to our preservation of the hotels original floor plan. We offset the size of our rooms with an amazing location and service that “can’t do enough for you.” We take pride in offering a clean product and convenient amenities such as free reliable Wi-Fi.

With a new ownership group in place one of our main strategies is to renovate our rooms to make them more business friendly. We already have public space that is conducive to the business traveler, now we need to fine tune our rooms.

Cheers,

Santa Barbara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had attempted to stay at this property in April, but had issues receiving confirmation from the property about my best rate guarantee claim. In the end i reached out to the GM and as a goodwill gesture offered to honor the rate for a future stay during a similar peak season. I was able to book November veterans day weekend and had a wonderful stay. The front desk was very helpful in getting me checked in around 9am, which was awesome! The room though small is definitely enough space for 2 people, besides who goes to San Francisco to stay in their room all day?
Cons: The hotel recently changed names/operations to the Cartwright, this was not something I was notified of ahead of time. Not really a big deal other than the fact the property was no longer a part of Stash rewards program, so I lost out on some points there. There was a lot of signage for Larkspur Union square hotel everywhere on site and there were still a lot of picture frames with the stash rewards program benefits listed.
Finally at check in as I reviewed my folio I noticed that there had been a parking charge listed. Perculiar as there was no car on site. I mentioned this to the male at the front desk but he claimed that he had taken it off. Being a math maor I knew the total was still incorrect and I stated this to the gentleman but he continued to argue with me that he had adjusted the amount. I then asked him to take out a calculator which he refused to do so it was not untilI we had another staff member come by and she pointed out to him that he had not made the correction.

Room Tip: Room 501 serviced us very well.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Umailop,

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your review. I truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad we were able to come to an understanding and honor the “Best Rate” program. Thank you for mentioning the efforts of the front desk to get you into your room early.

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding our name change. We sold on October 31st and had not converted much of the signage. A major portion of that has now been rectified. We are also very close to signing back on with Stash Rewards.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco and earning that five. Keep an eye on our Facebook page and website for updates on packages or events.

Steven Viscio

Been to Hotel Cartwright Union Square? Share your experiences!