“Nice staff but could not relax” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Archbishop's Mansion

The Archbishop's Mansion
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
The Archbishop's Mansion
You added The Archbishop's Mansion to your Saves list
1000 Fulton Street, ** Reported Closed 2011, San Francisco, CA 94117   |
Ranked #192 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Nice staff but could not relax”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Ok let me start out by saying I stayed at the mansion awhile back and never reviewed it. So here goes... Nice staff, beautiful old building, faces Alamo park. All good things but.....I swear to god it's haunted! I have stayed at tons of old B&Bs, historic hotels haunted places etc...never had this creepy feeling like I was being watched. I didn't sleep a wink the entire weekend, couldn't relax, and wouldn't let my husband leave me alone in the room. We were the only guests that weekend and no one else was around which only increased the spooky vibe. So I think they should have a medium visit and go with the whole " haunted" theme because it fits. Oh BTW we stayed on the 3rd floor the room to the farthest right that faces the park.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Pittsburgh, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

The Archbishop's Mansion was converted from the Catholic Archbishop's residence to an awesome Bed and Breakfast. All the furnishings take you back to the glory days of when this was a powerful man's home. My wife and I kept waiting for Richard Chamberlain (from the Thornbirds mini-series) to round the corner and greet us !!! The location is great. I'm sure all of you have seen at least one episode of the show "Full House." The opening scene, with them having a picnic in the park, was filmed right across the street. The staff is very attentive and the breakfast muffins are the best we've ever eaten. The Mansion is a very romantic and relaxing place to stay. This B & B is a little slice of heaven in a busy city.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

The Archbishop's Mansion has undergone recent renovations, and I haven't seen them, so I hope the place still features the grand old wooden staircase and paneling that made it seem like you were staying in someone's old-world home. I've stayed at this hotel twice, once in a little tiny hostel-like room on the third floor (undoubtedly a former servant's quarters) and once in one of their wood-paneled major rooms. The place was comfortable and quiet with the exception of the old-fashioned plumbing that clunked inside the walls: I am sure they've taken care of that in their new renovations. The only notable omission was the absence of a freshly-made breakfast to fill their lovely dining room.

• Liked — authentic old-world ambience
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed here on our wedding night. I'd wanted to stay in an old-fashioned Victorian place, and that's just what I got. The room was beautiful, if slightly run-down at the edges when you looked too closely. I felt like I'd stepped back in time, and it was perfect for a wedding night - romantic and cozy and easy to forget the world outside. We didn't eat there, so I can't speak to the food. The price was a bit dear for our budgets at the time, but a splurge at the time. The price does seem a little steep, maybe, but it is a unique sort of accommodation and you are paying for the historical experience as well as comfort, etc. We loved the breakfast delivered to our room, that we could enjoy by the window. All in all, a lovely splurge experience.

• Liked — Room decor/atmosphere, breakfast in bed, location
  • Disliked — Slightly musty, a little bit tattered at the edges, slightly steep price
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We've stayed in a lot of places in San Francisco, and this place was a nice change of pace. The outside is beautiful and just down the street is the famous "Painted Ladies" and across the street is Alamo Square Park. There was a free parking lot and limited parking available in the street. I think that is due to the fact that the location of this hotel is more residential than "touristy". The only complaint was that every place we went required a taxi (the staff would call one for us and was very accomodating), but then again, we knew it was an out of the way hotel which was kind of why we stayed there. The lobby had a little bit of a funky smell, but what do you expect from a place thats as old as this! The rooms were wonderful! Very quaint...small tv, HUGE fireplace. The beds were comfortable, a very good complimentary breakfast in our room, great decor, and the service was FANTASTIC! We were given wonderful advice by the manager about restaurants, wineries, night clubs, or just interesting things to do in the city. We were looking for a nice, quiet, romantic place to spend our honeymoon and I think we made the absolute right choice! I know they are renovating soon and I can hardly wait to stay in the new and improved Archbishops Mansion!

• Liked — The service, and the ambiance of the whole place...fantastic!
  • Disliked — The smell and the old elevator
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

I've always wanted to stay in a creepy mansion-type place and this place was perfect. However, I'm a big wussy and get scared easily. This place was scary, and it didn't help that I checked in at night. They have one clerk on duty in a study right beside the front door. They are pretty friendly people.

We stayed in one of the Romeo and Juliet rooms on the first floor. The bathroom was huge and had a jet tub (I don't think they cleaned it very well though. They definitely didn't clean it while we were out the next day--we stayed 2 nights) It is an old house and it shows. Their bed linens are starting to wear thin and had a musty smell to it.

Good points: The rooms are all distinct and they leave the doors open if they are unoccupied so you can roam around and look. Apparently they have a wine and cheese every night for guests to socialize but who wants to do that?

I liked the breakfast in bed. You get a card that you tick off what you want for breakfast the next day and what time for them to bring it and hang it outside your door. The quiche is very yummy! Just continental breakfast basically but pretty nice.

There is about 5 or 6 parking spots and you can park on the street.

Stayed November 2006
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2007

Stayed in the Rosenkavalier- very cold room, lumpy/bouncy bed (but the bedding was fair), large bathroom, but small toilet space (coffin like)...it was shabby 1890's meets 1970...strange.

The "in-room library" had a few classics (Milton, Shakespeare, Stendhal), a pleasant surprise.

My husband and I may stay again after the renovation.
Maybe.

• Liked — pillow
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Archbishop's Mansion? Share your experiences!