“Good location, but hotel is nothing special” 2 of 5 stars

Andrews Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   624 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #125 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Aarhus
“Good location, but hotel is nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

It is hard to find an inexpensive hotel in San Fransisco. But compared to other hotels Andrews Hotel is not on the expensive side.
The most positive about this hotel is the position. Just one block from Union Square.
The room itself was charming, but not especially comfortable. The building was from 1905, and the installations probably of the same age. The room was small and there was barely room enough for the king bed. (I had booked a suite, but got only a king room, but I won't blame Andrews Hotel for this; it was booked through 3rd party, and I suppose the error lies here).
The internet would only work in one corner of the room.
The bathroom was very small.
The hotel offers expensive valet parking, but it won't be much cheaper if you park yourself.
Breakfast was included. It consisted of very good French bakery, mini baguettes, croissants etc. But nothing else. So it could not keep you going for too long.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel room had old furniture and accessories. I would recommend purchasing new bed spreads, blinds, bed frame and paint the room white (it will make the room feel larger). The bathrooms are very small (but clean) if you were a bigger person you would struggle. The location is fabulous approx 5 mins from Union Square. San Fran is very expensive and this hotel was great for the price. Free wifi was very usefull.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at the Andrews hotel in July and had the worst hotel experience of my life. The hotel is old, dirty, smelly, and overpriced. The rooms had moldy green carpet and the tile in the bathroom had dirt caked in between each square. The hotel was also extremely noisy and the walls were paper thin.

Additionally, I had a very bizarre interaction with the older blonde lady who worked the front desk. After coming back from breakfast my key was not working, so I went downstairs to get a new one. (A common problem after reading other reviews on trip advisor). The lady said that the key probably thought I was already checked out. I said, "well, I was actually wasn't working last night as well." She asked if they issued me a new key last night. I said, " no, it took about 17 tries but I finally got it. I didn't have time to mess around with it again this morning." Her response was "well then the key did work now didn't it." I responded by saying that 1 for 17 tries with a key are not good odds. Her response..."life isn't fair." Although I'm obviously angry at this point, I bite my tongue and wait for my new key. When she hands it to me, I smile and walk back upstairs. She shouts after me and yells, "um, you're welcome." At this point, I calmly remind her that she is the one in the customer service industry and to act like it.

All she had to do was apologize for the inconvenience. Instead, she tried to pick a fight with a customer.

Save yourself. The rooms are gross, the staff is rude and incompetent, and I felt very unsafe the whole time I was there.

• Stayed July 2013
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The service we received when we first arrived at the hotel was excellent. The gentleman was very friendly and welcoming, and told us all we needed to know. The room was fairly small and the decor was slightly outdated, however we still found this to be a lovely hotel. The room had a TV and WiFi, and a ceiling fan. The ceiling fan suited us fine and we didn't feel the need for air conditioning, however the fan was quite noisy at night and took a bit of getting used to. One of our favourite things about this hotel was waking up to a complimentary breakfast laid out on the landing every morning. Breakfast consisted of orange juice/tea/coffee, fruit and a selection of pastries.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk to Union Square and has good transport links, however we had a couple of uncomfortable walks through the Tenderloin - an area of San Francisco with high levels of crime. Saying this, we never saw any trouble in this area.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a lovely old building with character and style.The location was perfect for first time visitors to San Francisco easy walking distance to union square and all transport if you don't feel like walking. The room was fine beds very comfortable, faced the street so some late night noise for about 20 minutes as clubs closed, no internal noise The staff were very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. Breakfast is basic but for a few days is fine. the lobby has hot and cold beverages available all day which is a nice touch. The adjoining restaurant is a must but do book as it is very popular.

Room Tip: suggest a room not facing the street if you are worried about night street noise.
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've stayed here twice while on business in San Francisco and this is a great hotel for my needs. The rooms are small, but that's all I need. The Andrews is a very affordable hotel in the heart of the city, and easy walk to Union Square, Chinatown, and the business district. Half the price of most of the downtown hotels, but definitely not half the quality if you ask me. There is a light array of fruits and bread available in the morning in the hallways of each floor, dependable and fast wifi, and very comfortable and clean rooms. Not to mention friendly and helpful staff. Everything I need while traveling alone on business, I will definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in june 2013 .Picked this hotel for price and location so we were surprised with what we got although we may have had one of the smallest rooms there it was cosy. breakfast on the landing was almost breakfast in bed great touch. although no tea and coffee in rooms it was provided in the lobby which you could take to your room. Room was very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful would stay here again but in a larger room. Never tried the restuarant .but it was full every night the meals looked lovely so from that i would say it was good we wish we had tried it. Great start to our first holiday in america.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Andrews Hotel? Share your experiences!