“Run for your life!!! DON"T STAY IN ROOM 204 WHATEVER YOU DO!!!” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Adelaide Hostel
5 Isadora Duncan Lane, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Adelaide Inn)   |
London, United Kingdom
“Run for your life!!! DON"T STAY IN ROOM 204 WHATEVER YOU DO!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We booked a private room in the Adelaide to find out on arrival that all the private rooms are located in two neighbouring hotels- Dakota and the Fitzgerald. We were put into the Dakota. To start off i booked the Adelaide hostel because of the good reviews. To then be placed in the Dakota ,which, when i looked on tripadvisor had awful reviews, i felt cheated. My friends who had booked dorms stayed in the Adelaide said it was reasonably clean and friendly. I wish this was my experience of the Dakota. We were in room 204 for 1 night and then room 603 for 2 nights. Both rooms were filthy. When we put the sign to clean the room on the door ,this meant to the cleaner ,to make the bed only. That's right no new towels or sheets. This was unacceptable. We paid for a private room therefore i expected a better service than a dorm room.The private room was SOOO overpriced. We could have stayed in a 3* hotel at the airport for the price we paid for the hostel or 'Hotel' as they state. I wore shoes on my feet constantly as the carpets were filthy and slept in my clothes as not to have too much contact with the bed. The bath and shower curtain was disgusting. The whole hotel smelt and i bought air freshener and anti bacterial spray for the bed and bathroom in the shop. I was constantly scratching. I wasn't expecting a 5* hotel experience but the rooms presented wasn't even acceptable for a dog to sleep in. I was dreading going back from my wonderful days in San Francisco. However as we were on a budget we had no other option but to use the anti bacterial spray and hope for the best. Don't even bother trying to sleep as the windows have no sound insulation. No exaggeration, the sound of the traffic was exactly the same whether the window was open or closed. The valet parking was $18 not the $15 stated. Overpriced!!! If you manage to stay in the Adelaide (from what my friends experienced) they thought it was good value for money. If you have the unfortunate experience of being put into the Dakota buy some bug spray or get the heck out of there as fast as you can!!!

The only good points was the receptionist. Very helpful with directions and booking excursions. The location and the fast free wifi.

Would definitely NOT go back and would not recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I can honestly say I dont know where to begin.
As I write this I am still scratching the bites I received on my face from the lice infestation(beds are oozing and festering with them). When I informed reception about the lice they didn't seem to care and said 'we don't have lice...one of THOSE girls must have brought them in'.
The bunkbeds are uncomfortable and they creak, but the main point is that you cannot get up and down safely as the ladders are locked between bunks and windows.

A drunk and out of control man made very aggressive threats towards me and some other female guests. When we complained and informed management we were told that 'we all get p*ssed' and to just forget about it.The man was then seen smashing his head outside on a brick wall,
$5 dollar dinners!!Not bad value at all, for $5 you get a two course meal,this consists of a main, and a dessert and for your convenience and to save washing up,the dessert is placed(or rather slopped)on top of the main. We were lucky to sample the delights of mash potato,gravy and chocolate cake.But my favorite was spaghetti bolognese with a beautiful sauce and ontop of the pasta lay my even tastier raspberry cheesecake. Oliver Twist springs to mind.

There were not enough showers. Very often there was a queue winding down the stairs waiting. Also the showers and restrooms were filthy. Shower heads far too up high, toilets that didn't flush and were full of pubic hair,faeces and vomit.

Everyday reception was a scene of chaos as bookings were messed up and people were sent to different buildings. I was 'upgraded' which meant I didn't get the room that I had booked but a more expensive one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Amherst New hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

This had a good location for the city. Near financial, shopping and transportation downtown. Easy to get to Fisherman's Wharf via bus or walk for the hearty. My dorm room was off the dining area where other guests would party into the wee hours. Alcohol even amongst minors tolerated (my opinion). They did offer after second night to move me elsewhere but the damage was done. Great place for the young party.
Full meal Breakfast was included , plus you could get in on a great dinner for $5, so food was great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I was a little hacked off when I realise we would not be staying in the hostel. It turns out that ALL private rooms are in the hostel owned hotels round the corner. I had specifically booked the hostel for the facilities - internet, breakfast etc, and didn't want to have to walk down the street each time I wanted facilities. However - the hotels are JUST around the corner so the inconvenience outweighed having a quiet hotel room, and when we did go to the hostel, we found the free breakfast OUTSTANDING, the staff very friendly and informative (especially the manager/owner guy) The $5 dinners were the best thing - the portions were perfect for us, they were healthy and came with salad and dessert, and we didn't have to make decisions every night or make time for sitting at a restaurant for food. We could keep going in San Fran till 7:15, and then make our way to the hostel - perfect! The location is great - very central but just a few blocks away from a few very dodgy blocks in SF. Ask them about bike hire too - they got us an excellent deal with a top company. The hostel SHOULD tell you on the phone their set up with their other hotels, but they made up for it on everything else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Portland, ME
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

So we booked a private 3 person room at the Adelaide hostel in San Francisco for 5 nights about 2 months before we made our trip there. As soon as we arrived, we were told that we were not checking in there, and that we had to go up the street a block to the Dakota Hotel...? What? So apparently, even though we had booked at the Adelaide hostel, the owners have 3 buildings, the Adelaide, the Dakota, and the Fitzgerald, and as the woman at the front desk told us, "You could be put in any one of them, and we don't know which one until the morning of your reservation." Fine, but we were not told ANYTHING about this until we had arrived. Our biggest gripe with this was that ALL of the common space, including laundry, kitchen, and lounge are ALL in the Adelaide. So if you want to hang out, you have to walk a block every time... This also causes the common space at the Adelaide to become EXTREMELY CROWDED. As they are fitting 3 hotels worth of people into one common area. It seems that if you book a private room, you will not be in the Adelaide, if you book a shared room, your chances are better.

We also were not told that breakfast was included, and so after we had purchased $30 worth of breakfast food for our 5 day stay we overheard someone talking about breakfast in the basement and how it is served every day for free. Why didn't they tell us when we checked in?? The toilet seat fell off after our first night here, and still no one has fixed it...

Want maid service... well don't use the door tag, as apparently, even though one side says, "please clean the room" if the maid sees a tag she runs the other way. It took us 3 days before we got new towels and sheets, and the garbage got emptied.

The internet works, but is sometimes spotty, and ipods don't seem to work with the internet in the Adelaide.

The only 2 redeeming qualities of the place were the $5 dinners, although served like you are living in an orphanage, they are very delicious, and the people at the desk do their very best to make sure you have things to do during your stay, and they are very helpful when answering questions.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The three of us booked a dorm room for two nights a week in advance of our stay. So we paid $39 each and $16 per day parking our car. For that price we could have stayed in a decent hotel near the airport. We chose the hostel because we thought it would be friendly and easier being in the San Fran centre. We heard nothing from the hostel and upon arrival were told that we would actually be in a private room for the same price. Sounds great right? We went up to our room which was actually on the next block and were distraught that the three of us had just paid for 3 people to stay in a very small double bed in a small room.

I went down to voice our complaints to the staff and they were very reluctant to help or give us any money back. Eventually they said they would put a third bed in the room whilst we went out so one of us did not have to sleep on the floor. They didn't seem to think it was unacceptable to put one of us on the floor!!!

They basically jammed a mattress in the small floor space so we had to keep our bags squashed in the bathroom. We had fun in San Fran so we got over it but would not stay there again. Also, the staff were very hostile towards us after that. Greeat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

good things:
1.wi-fi in all rooms not only in the lobby
2. eat as much as you can for breakfast. good quality bread, nutela, milk, jam, bagels you name it - it's there unless you expect buffalo meat.
3. 4 bathrooms and 2 showers per floor.
4. gigantic common are
5. free internet on their PC
6. bikes for rent - 15 per day
7. big kitchen, open 24 hours, two stoves, two large fridges
8. house keeping do their job uncompromisingly
9. top location - you're close to everything and SF is small city so you can walk anywhere
10. library, with books
11. cctv system covers it ALL!
bad things: in my opinion there's none
12. $9 shuttle to to airport which is the same as you'd pay for expensive BART train.
13. gigantic locker boxes in each room big enough for lap top and some clothing.
14. they cook dinner every night. it's $ 5 but it doesn't worth that much. but since you can eat like an alligator for breakfast - it;s a form of compensation.

things that could have been better or different:
1. this hostel in general attracts very young travellers mainly from Europe, and when I said young I meant more than half of them were under 20. so they are asked ID to enter pubs, and they stay inside the hostel. you can't hear them because they drink and party in the kitchen which is in the basement. if you're more than 30, these kids won't be bread for your teeth due to their overall inexperience and immaturity.
2. people on the reception should do more than just to point the closest shop. everything around is expensive like hell and you need time to figure out where to shop.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Adelaide Hostel? Share your experiences!