“Quaint, inexpensive, bohemian safehouse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adelaide Hostel

You added Adelaide Hostel to your Saves list
Adelaide Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   5 Isadora Duncan Lane, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Adelaide Inn)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis
“Quaint, inexpensive, bohemian safehouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at the Adelaide Hostel during the last week of May 2014. It was a mere 3 blocks from the Hilton where my conference was being held. I reserved a bed in a 6-person room. My original room was overrun by very messy women who took all of the footlockers. I complained and the staff quickly assigned me to a bed in another room. I checked for bedbugs and found none. I really liked how each bed has it's own curtain for privacy and there is a small light and outlet above each bed. The room had a single sink and mirror. There were at least two showers with toilets, and a separate toilet on the floor. I never had to wait to use the bathroom or shower. The lobby decor was nicely done -- part bohemian, part safehouse (if you've ever lived in Milwaukee, you'll understand). There were regular pub crawls which many attended. I stayed for 4 nights and the bill was under $200. For that area, you just can't beat it.

Room Tip: Oh, the top bunks are high up and you climb up via a bunk ladder. I had a top bunk at first and whi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Don't stay here! I stayed ONE night in golden gate and ended up with over 50 bed bug bites over my entire body, neck, chest, shoulders, ear, hands, thighs, calves, feet. Everywhere!

I was just getting into my bed when I saw a bug on the wall dividing the bunks. Turned out to be a bedbug so I started inspecting blankets then pillow. It was midnight but I flipped out and asked to be moved to a new room, as I was supposed to be there two more nights. I was shaking, there were two huge ones just laying under my pillow with a freshly laid egg and filled with my blood from the night before.

In order to move rooms I had to shower and wash all of my clothes. I had to go out after midnight to buy a new outfit. Only thing open was a Walgreens so I had to pay $25 for a mens beer pajama outfit. Then to wash all of my clothes was $8. I didn't get to bed till 3 am!

I had to throw out my purse because there were baby bedbugs in it. And buy anti itching cream because it was unbearable.

No reimbursement and I was constantly inspecting my things, and could hardly sleep the rest of my time there.

Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here with my friend in the summer of 2012, this was the first leg of our travels, having flown in from Scotland.

The rooms are pretty basic, but what do you really expect from a hostel? I personally think it is just your luck who you are paired with in the rooms, for us, we had a really friendly German dude and an extremely weird Canadian guy who was out all night and slept all day, he was a bit of a pain, but that aside, the room experience was decent enough.

I never used the kitchen area so I cannot comment on this, nor did I eat the breakfast.

The hostels location is absolutely ideal for exploring this fantastic city, I dream on day I will be back.

We also went on one of the bar crawls, which was very good, great opportunity to mix with other travellers, share stories and experiences etc

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Wanted to check out a day early from a private room and the front office staff refused a refund despite requesting 24 hours in advance. Asked 3 different front office receptionists to be told that it would be possible initially. When check-out time came , I was told the manager had been spoken to and that I should have given notice 48 hours in advance. Really lame!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Yomitan-son, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

First time a stayed in a hostel. I'm traveling through and decided to stay in SF for 3 days to check the place out. Basically just needed a place to sleep, shower, and charge my phone.
I found the room I stayed in the first night to be absolutely disgusting bit that was the fault of the occupants, not the staff. Toilets and showers were very clean. The downstairs living room was a really cool area. I never used the kitchen so I can really comment on that. As for the staff, I only really dealt with one girl, I think her name was Julie maybe, she was awesome. She help me out any time I needed anything. 2 thumbs up for that hire!
All in all not a bad experience at all. Like I said though, it really worked for what I needed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I'd highly recommend this hostel to any international students or young travelers. Although the rooms are not the best (they only have the very basics), the place itself is very clean, with thoughtful decoration and a great atmosphere. The common rooms feel like very big but cozy living rooms, and the kitchen area has all you could need. The breakfast is also very complete.

Some negative things to take into account: they could benefit from having more bathrooms; the beds are a bit old and noisy; and it may be a bit noisy during the night, but nothing too bad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Dirty rooms, with many badbugs, cheap, and many people, a dirty kitchen, with refrigerator stench of old food, and the only thing good location, close to Union Square.
Beware, do not be fooled by the comments, you reserve in Adelaide send you to the Dakota, or vise verse dirty place both hostel.No words to say how much a liar and these comments, I've been staying at the Adelaide Hostel, polite staff bad, stole my cell phone iphone 5s, I informed the owner known as PJ, arrogant, not looking at our face and said he could do nothing.

Room Tip: No words to say how much a liar and these comments, I've been staying at the Adelaide Hostel, po...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ilaria L, Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear Julian 823,

I apologize you had such a bad experience here at the Adelaide. Anyhow, I would like to take this chance to shed some lights on a couple of issues you have mentioned in your review that could be a little misleading for other travellers. Rooms both at the Adelaide and the Dakota get thoroughly cleaned every day, while bathrooms gets cleaned three times on a daily basis; the kitchen gets cleaned after breakfast and after its closing time at 10pm: our staff does the best to keep everything up to standard, but you may understand that we do not have control over people who do not clean up after themselves. About the fridge, it gets cleaned every week: our staff throws old food or food of guests that have already left the hostel, cleans the fridge, and makes space for upcoming guests.
I have not quite understood the part of your Iphone 5s: I am sorry you have lost or misplaced your phone, but I must say that our staff is trustworthy and has been so for a long time. If you want you can contact us privately you can do so by sending an email to info@adelaidehostel.com and tell us more details about the case; we will be happy to investigate.
Regarding the bed bugs, although it is true that it can happen and I'd like to remind that it happens everywhere, we do make sure to take a prompt action on it. We steam rooms, change linens, curtains and matresses, and disinfest everything.
Again, we do apologize if you had a bad experience, but I would not go that far by calling someone a liar or arrogant: I can assure you we do care about people and work our best to make sure they have an enjoyable stay with us.

Been to Adelaide Hostel? Share your experiences!