“San Francisco Stay” 4 of 5 stars

5 Isadora Duncan Lane, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Adelaide Inn)   |
Nürensdorf, Zurich, Switzerland
“San Francisco Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I lived in the "Alcatraz" dorm during my visit in San Francisco. Every bed has a curtain for more privacy. The people are nice and in the morning you can have toasts with jam, peanutbutter and the best were little fresh fruit bowls.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Good price for what you get. Nice small room, bathroom, very clean. European style breakfast included in the price. Great location, right in the heart of San Francisco. Lots of places to eat and drink around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Machida, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I wasn't able to book a room at hostelling international, so I booked a room here. The staff were very friendly. I arrived early in the morning and the front desk guy happily let me hang out and even eat breakfast. I was really pleased at how open and welcoming this hostel was compared to almost every other hostel that I've stayed at in the USA. When you arrive in a new city after a long travel, it is so nice to have this kind of hospitality. Despite check in not being until later, I was welcomed into the living room where I layed on one of the many comfy couches for a nap after breakfast. I charged my phone and checked in, then went to a Giants game (30 minute walk). If the place wasn't a tiny bit worn down, it'd easily have a rating of 5 instead of 4.

Met lots of Aussies at this hostel, go figure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
MAdrid
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

As I had received good comments about Adelaide Hostel from some friends who went there last year, some friends and I decided to book in the Adelaide Hostel for our stay in San Francisco.

I had previously read the comments in Tripadvisor about Dakota Hotel (where they usually try to put you), and was aware that I did not want to stay there. We had booked two private rooms, one for two people and one for three. When we arrived there, they told us to go to Dakota. We complained about this and they promised to transfer us to Adelaide the following morning.

Dakota Hotel was, indeed, quite bad. Bathroom that doesn't work, not so clean beds, old lift, recepcionist who tried to charge more for the room that they had told us... But, luckily, we only stayed there for one night.

The following day we were changed to the Dakota. However, as they didn't expect us to stay there, all 5 girls had to be put in one room designed for 2 people. In fact, I think that for 2 people the room was quite big, but it was a bit difficult to manage with 5. I have to say, nevertheless, that they charged us the price of a dorm instead. Adelaide building was nice and acceptable, giving that it is a budget hostel, and not a hotel.

In summary, I would say that if you get to stay in Adelaide, then is not bad. But the problem is that you can never be sure that they are gonna give you what you booked...

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

This was my first stay at a hostel and one thing I've learned is that it's not for me. I can't fault the hostel, though.
I booked in a four-bed female dorm room for four nights, but was so frustrated by my top bunk that I upgraded to a private room for the first two nights.
The bunk was steel and kept creaking and is extremely difficult to climb down in the middle of the night.
They couldn't accommodate me in a private room for the last two nights, though, so I again slept in a dorm room, this time on a bottom bunk.
Once this had been sorted out, I had a pleasant stay, costing around $40 a night and $110 a night in a private room.
The staff were very helpful in trying to accommodate me.
My hostel room was clean and the bathrooms were relatively clean, considering they're shared by everyone on the floor.
The kitchen area and communal lounge were also clean, comfortable, with an at-home type of feel to it. Notably, their wifi line is a bit slow, though.
The Adelaide was well-located in San Francisco, and all tourist sites were either within walking distance downtown or easily accessible via public transport.
They also had a great (and free) breakfast spread, which included fresh fruit, a selection of bread/toast and the best oatmeal I've ever had.
Though I'm unlikely to stay in a hostel again, this is a personal choice, rather than reflecting badly on the Adelaide. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed July 2012
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Breakfast is great. So much bread, spreads, oatmeal and a bowl of fruit. The kitchen has everything you need.

Dorm rooms really need to be refurbished. Way too many bugs, flies and prob rats somewhere there. Paint chipping.

The lounge/common area can get really crowded really fast. Bathrooms are fine.

Most of the people are great, except there's a lot of old people/little children that stay here. I thought hostels were for young adults? Clearly, they didn't get the memo.

Staff is not uber-friendly, but they do their best to try to be helpful.

Bring a padlock.

You get a nice discount if you rent a bike from blazing saddles.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Please understand... the Adelaide is a hostel, the Dakota is a "hotel" managed by the same owners. The Dakota's rooms are a small upgrade from sleeping on the street in a sleeping bag.

The only reason I give the Adelaide 2 stars is because I stayed there in 2007 as a college student, and the experience was adequate for one in that stage of life looking for a cheap place to spend a night in the heart of an expensive city. So I blame myself when, five years later, I planned a week long getaway for my husband and myself and booked two nights in a private room here expecting the same budget experience. We quickly realized that we no longer prefer this setting and are unable to relax in dirty, noisy "hotels."

Like everyone before me has stated, understand that if you book a private room, you are not really staying at the Adelaide hostel. You have to check in at the Adelaide, but you walk a block north to the Dakota Hotel with your bags. The Dakota has a smidgeon of appeal if you like ancient hotels that "preserve" antiquated details, such as the lift in the lobby which only sometimes works and is more than a little scary.

Despite having much to say, I will keep this short, as others before me have described basically down to the last detail my very own experience. The street noise is terrible, the front rooms are directly above a bar, there is no air conditioning, the bed sheets and covers are full of holes and stains, the pillows lumpy, the mattresses worn out. Our ceiling fan was broken so we had to sleep with windows open, which only made the traffic noise even worse. The staff was average, but this isn't a four or five star hotel, so why expect anything better? The cleanliness of the room was... severely lacking. I never took my shoes off for fear of touching the carpet with my bare feet.

For us as a couple, it was $40 per person ($80 per night + taxes), and is $55 per person on weekends. We cancelled our second night's stay, requested a refund (pending), and moved to another hotel where we paid quite a bit more, but had a real night's sleep in clean and well-furnished room.

My advice is that unless you are a student or a single person desiring a HOSTEL experience, or unable to afford ANYTHING better, do not book a private room here. You will not find it relaxing or enjoyable. I cannot speak to the real hostel experience offered by Adelaide, as it is in a completely separate building.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Adelaide Hostel? Share your experiences!