“Rex is the "KING" of boutique hotels!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #37 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Michigan
“Rex is the "KING" of boutique hotels!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

I love the Rex! The staff at the front desk and the restaurant are very friendly and efficient. My family and I were staying for three nights and we've never received such personalized service from any other hotels in San Francisco that we stayed before. The high speed internet in the lobby was great! The lobby bar had so much character and they even have live jazz on Friday nights. My only complaint is that the white zone was too small for us to park.

Anyway, I highly recommend this boutique hotel. It's the best in the City!

• Stayed April 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in San Francisco and my experience was incredible. My wife booked it through Expedia.com and what really attracted her was the "Modern" look that Hotel Rex had. When we arrived not only was it in an excellent location (just blocks from the shopping stores), but every one of the hotel staff was friendly and ready to answer any and all questions I had. Never rude and always willing to go out of their way to help us. I mentioned to them at the front desk that it was our honeymoon and when we returned from Dinner there was a bottle of complimentary bottle of champagne & a note wishing us well. Very thoughtful. Anyway, what my wife really enjoyed, again, was the modern look and the Aveda Toiletries (shampoo & soaps). And every evening from 5-6p they have a free glass of wine for all guests there. I really can't think of any one negative thing about Hotel Rex. A small hotel with personal service ... can't get any better than that. Next time I go to San Francisco I will be sure to book my reservation at Hotel Rex.

• Stayed April 2005
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2005

Just returned from a great stay at the Hotel Rex in San Francisco. Fabulous Art Deco interior touches, great quiet room, helpful staff, and terrific breakfast at Cafe Andree next door...Annie is a gem..ask for a caapucino! Check out the hand painted lampshades, cool prints and original artwork, clubby bar and color scheme. Highly recommended.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2005

I just checked out of the Hotel Rex and was blown away by the nice attitude of the staff members, from the room cleaners to the manager! The hotel is located a few blocks from the shopping area. It's a small hotel, but big on amenities. They have a nice lobby bar and a quaint cafe. All staff greeted us every day. The room cleaner had a nice smile. The new manager introduced himself and offered us a choice of newspaper to read in the morning. I'll definitely stay at the Rex again.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

My family, two adults and two teenagers, recently stayed at Hotel Rex at 562 Sutter Street in San Francisco. We had a one-bedroom suite with a pullout sofa, one full bath and another half bath. After having driven 10 hours that day and arriving late on Easter night, to be greeted by a very warm and accommodating front desk and bellman was a treat!!!! Not only that, my husband and I were offered a complimentary glass of wine! Our room was very nicely and tastefully decorated with original art work and gorgeous fabrics and linens. After a great night of sleep, we had breakfast in Cafe Andree on the first floor. The fresh croissants and other pastries melted in our mouths. We also welcomed a great pot of coffee. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Rex and would certainly return again and we will recommend it whole heartedly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

Rooms are OK not great
There are better restauarants
THE STAFF IS SUBERB. It felt like home.

• Stayed March 2005
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2005

The Hotel Rex will always be our first choice when we return to SF, as we plan to as often as possible.
The staff were amazing. I think they're lost in another time, a time when people actually took pride in the little touches. Smiles, manners, helpfulness, I truly thought I'd fallen and hit my head and was dreaming:)
Rooms: clean clean clean. Having spent the past 15 years of my life hitting NYC for vacations, small rooms don't bother me and frankly, hello, the large bathrooms show that this joint has its priorities in order: walk all day and night up and down those hills and what do you want? A good long soak. Peace and quiet and cool tiles. Plus, the value is terrific.
Location: perfect. We walked to everything and when we could no longer walk another step we could at least limp there or cab it for cheap.
Restaurant: quite fantastic and we are now hooked on the featured wine for the month...I'm trying to figure out how to move the whole family to the Santa Cruz Mountains without losing income. Hurrah for the Syrah.
One tiny gripe: slowwwwwww room service. We had a tour booked for the ungodly hour of 8:30 a.m. on a SUNDAY morning so we pre-ordered room service breakfast. Half an hour late, and not the yummiest food in the world. That said, The Rex coffee is dynamite and I'll forgive a lot if the coffee is good. Just get it to me faster, that's all I ask....
Couples straight or gay: this is the place for you. My partner and I have already decided to have our honeymoon at The Rex, just because.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!