“Charming, service oriented & well-located” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   562 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #35 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
“Charming, service oriented & well-located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I chose this location because it was near the site of a professional exam, but had such a great experience that I plan to come back for a relaxing getaway. I highly recommend it -especially if you prefer to avoid sterile chains and like books!

Rooms/amenities:
With my online reservation I added a note requesting a quiet room because I planned to spend study in my room the first day and needed a good night's sleep before the exam. At check in, they gave me a good-natured ribbing about wanting a quiet room when most guests like the noisy ones. But sure enough, my room was away from the street and on an upper floor. It was perfectly quiet for a full, city-center hotel.
The basic room was what I expect for a mid-range price in the city. Not huge, but there was plenty of room to set out my bag and the bathroom could have accommodated a couple getting ready at once.
I loved the literary-themed room, lobby and bar! It gave a cozy, friendly feel to everything. I took the stairs more than once just to read the quotes in the hallways.
There's an adjoining cafe that I did not try, but you can purchase breakfast there. There is free coffee in the lobby. Each guest gets a free glass of wine at happy hour. This looked like a great time to mingle - I enjoyed the wine while waiting for a friend to pick me up but didn't linger.
Wifi was included.
The hotel does not have an airport shuttle, but for just $17 each way SuperShuttle is an easy door-to-door way to get back & forth.

The staff:
I manage people whose job is customer service. If Hotel Rex's staff were on my team, they'd all get great reviews! I felt welcome and comfortable. The team at the front desk were friendly, open to requests and questions and always present. The bartender had an amazing hustle and kept the folks seated at the bar chatted up. The housekeeping staff greeted me with a smile and friendly hello whenever I encountered them. The manager even sent up a handed-written note and bottle of water!

I arrived 2 hours early for check in and got only a friendly welcome- not turned away like I have been at some hotels. The staff immediately took my baggage to the office and the clerk made several great lunch spots recommendations as well as giving walking directions to Chinatown. When I returned at the suggested time, they remembered me and my room was ready.

The location:
Perfectly situated for a romantic get-away or tourism. The hotel is a block from the cable car line, a short walk to the entrance to Chinatown and very close to the shopping district.

Stayed June 2013
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear La Vino Chica:
Thank you for the great review on Tripadvisor. In our opinion, you could not have given us a better compliment. We are a small boutique hotel and we are a 100 year old building so the one thing we know we can control is guest service, and we pride ourselves on that. I will share your review with the team. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope you return soon.

1,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I feel bad giving this place a 3 out of 5, as it's honestly one of the most charming places I've ever stayed. The staff were brilliant (Tony the barman in particular), the decor and general ambience was brilliant, but my stay was completely spoiled by being allocated a room on the 7th floor without air conditioning. As a result I had a pretty terrible night's sleep. Not really what I had been expecting given the price and 3.5 star rating.

• Stayed July 2013
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that you did not get a good's night sleep. The air conditioning is something we are struggling with in our 100 year old building and it is something we are addressing but due to the complexity in changing out an entire system it is taking a while. I hope you still return to Joie D Vivre and the charm that you found at our hotel.
Edina, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed 2 nights at The Rex. It is central to everything you may want to do, 5 blocks from the bart and easy walking to the warf. Since it is close to Union Square, we were easily connected with a tour shuttle to Sonoma. The room is comfortable and we slept great. We didn't have a chance to eat downstairs but it smelled great and always seemed bustling.

Room Tip: We choose the Executive King. It was really quiet and on the back side of the building in a courtya...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for the great review Katharine,
So good to have someone from Edina rate us so high as you live in one of the best places to live in the U.S! Hope you return and when you do you can take advantage of or return guest rebooking discount, book on the JDV website and type"DIRECT" in the special rate code to receive 15% off until December 31st of this year. Then let me know you are coming back so we can thank you personally.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on a work trip. The hotel has a lot of charm but could use an update. For the price and location though, can't really complain. The free wine at happy hour is a nice touch. They do a good martini here also.

Room Tip: We were offered a room at the front which was brighter but noisier. Or a darker quieter room at the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lebanon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

A friend recommended we stay here! What a great find! Great location, clean and quite! The rooms are small but we didn't spend much time in the room. Staff was helpful. Save some money and self park if staying for more than one night the garage should offer a bit of a discount!

Thank you so much for the great review!
-Ina
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time in San Francisco and the hotel is perfect. It's a very clean hotel, nice bar area with complimentary glass of wine every night. The staff, as in all us hotels, are very helpful. Located 2 minutes from union square where there are trams that take you to canary wharf, the BART and the cable car stops( which we never managed to get on as the queues are impossible)

• Stayed July 2013
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate you taking the time to post. Yes, the ques for cable cars can be quite long during the summer but I am happy to hear you enjoyed San Francisco despite that inconvenience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Personal hospitality!! Nice people who don't harass you about a late check out. Cool night auditor guy. Very knowledgable about fine dining in the neighborhood. A classy place without the horse rap the usually accompanies fine hotels!

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks so much for the great review. Our night auditors do not always get mentioned in reviews and I will definitely let them know about this post!
Ina

Been to Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!