“The antidote to huge and impersonal” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #39 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Chichester, United Kingdom
“The antidote to huge and impersonal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

If you hate those hotels where you walk for miles through vast lobbies to get to your room, try this one. Small, friendly, but still in a convenient location near Union Square, I loved this place. I stayed 7 nights on a business trip. Wi-fi free and never a problem, great little bar, loved the free early morning tea and coffee from 5am (great if you're on a more easterly time schedule) and the free wine in the evening even more. I asked for a quiet room and it was, very. What's more, the window opened, yippee! I detest air con, so no problems for me. My room was quite spacious by UK standards for this class of hotel, and I didn't think the furnishings or bathroom particularly poor either. Then again I wasn't spending much time there awake. I adored the green option of refusing housekeeping in exchange for a voucher to spend in the bar - who needs clean towels and sheets every day if they shower?

Room Tip: I was given the option of more quiet or more light. I chose quiet, but it did lack daylight. I wasn...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for the fabulous review on TripAdvisor, it means a lot to us. We strive to make all of our guests feel at home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Great Barrington, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The staff is both knowledgeable and friendly and the lobby is charming -- a comfortable place to read or work as well as to congregate after a busy day -- but as some other visitors have commented, the rooms are a bit tired. Older carpets, less than stellar (though still good) bedding, no central air. I had to condition my room on the 7th floor with a loud window unit. Basic wifi is still free, a real plus in these days when every hotel seems to make it an add-on, but note that there is no health facility onsite: it's around the corner and costs an extra $15 per day. If you get a good rate, it's a fine choice, but be aware that character and charm may be more in evidence than luxurious comfort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Peter:
Thanks for the review on TripAdvisor. We are aware that it has been a few years since renovation at our hotel and we are addressing that and updating some items. Unfortunately the AC is an issue in this older building and I apologize that it did not meet your needs. We are constantly seeking solutions that are both effective and eco conscious.
all the best,
Ina
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel earlier this week on business. The room was quiet and bed quite comfortable. Overall the hotel is a bit dark but has a very comfortable and welcoming lobby and bar. After our meeting was over in the conference room adjacent to the bar, we all spontaneously congregated at the bar and enjoyed the ambience and opportunity to wind down in such a pleasant space. The front desk staff was quite helpful and the location of the hotel is excellent. Hot coffee and tea are available in the lobby starting at 5 am but I would have loved to have an in-room coffee maker the first morning since I was on east coast time and was awake before 5 am.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Hotel Rex was perfect for our stay in San Fran. Another little funky boutique hotel. Great staff, small but comfortable and quiet room - ask for the back rooms - not so much light, but who is in their room all day when in San Fran?? Lovely bed linen, cushy big bed, what more do you need after a busy day sightseeing. Happy hour in the Library - very cool, shame we missed the jazz on Fri night. Great location, close to Union Sq, safe and great diners close by for breaky. Loved our stay here and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Back room for quiet, but don't know how loud it would have been anyway - good area, not surround...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Got a reasonable rate for this expensive city through Expedia. Rooms are small but clean and well-equipped, and the portacot for our baby fitted in without a problem. Staff were very friendly and helpful and I was pleased to get a photo of my baby with Max, the hotel mascot. Nice touches like live jazz on Friday night and evening happy hour. Location is hard to beat, with, cable car stop, 'Lori's Diner' and Walgreen's a 2-minute walk away and Union Square about a 5-minute walk. Our only criticism was that the pillows provided no support. We pointed this out to management and they were quite gracious about it.

• Stayed May 2013
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Let me start with check in - due to airline schedules, I needed to fly into SFO early. I went to check in at 7:30AM, expecting that they would take my luggage and I would hang out in the business center for the five hours prior to the start of my conference. Without hesitation the staff offered me an early check in. The room was cozy and tastefully decorated - and CLEAN. The bed was comfortable and they had a strong Internet signal (important). I was there for five days and declined maid service for the first two which they compensate you with a gift card for the restaurant - which I thought was a nice gesture. Every time I went by the front desk the staff was always very friendly and helpful - more than willing to help give directions or provide recommendations. The coffee in the morning was wonderful, the wine in the evening was nice and the cold water in the lobby all day was a refreshing touch. This isn't a fancy chain hotel, but it was very comfortable for a extended stay away from home and family.
The hotel is centrally located - an easy walk to Union Square, China Town, etc.
My only "complaint" was that the water pressure was a little low - but given the age of the building, it was acceptable. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

After hiking up the hill from the Powell Street BART station, we were greeted by two happy and helpful people. They arranged a reservation for dinner and checked us in. The room is small but has everything one would need. The location is great for shopping and eating in the Union Square area. A free glass of wine is offered between 5 and 6 p.m.. The only drawback was that we needed to turn on the air conditioner in the night and it was really loud. At 5:00 a.m., I just had to shut it off.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!