“Rex on Sutter - They Make You Feel At Home” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Off
Ranked #37 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Rex on Sutter - They Make You Feel At Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The corporation I work for offer the choice of various hotels when visitng the city and I have stayed at a few, however I find the Rex's old world charm and character too hard to beat. Walking into a big busy lobby like any big hotel anywhere in the world offers little in 'feeling like you're at home'. The Rex is different. The staff are all warm and welcoming and go out of their way to make you feel at home. On a recent trip, due to different company sectors with different budgets, I stayed for two weeks at the Zetta on Fifth and one week at the Rex on Sutter. Of course visually there is no comparison (the Zetta is a recently-refurbished hotel with all the latest modern features, comfortable, but lacking that old SF charm). I much preferred the Rex. While the rooms are not huge when compared to other hotels, one feels like one is part of the city's core character. You can go down to the bar (and their food is awesome) and have a chat with others and being a writer's haven, meet a variety of folk from many walks of creative life. Pick up a book and have a relaxing read. You won't see too many executives here and that's a good thing. The Rex allows me to slow down, take everything in and relax. Here's a tip, for your next booking, ask for a room on an upper floor away from the road. It is quieter. Not that Sutter is that noisy but I know some people like a quieter room. Being where it is, the Rex is handy to everything; a short walk to Union Square and many restaurants (including Sears Fine Foods which has the best chowder ever!). I definitely recommend the Rex for that old world San Francisco feeling - and yes all the usual modern ammenities are there too (Internet etc) but frankly, while there, I just wanted to relax, read a book, soak up the place and feel like I am part of the scene, not just a visitor.

Room Tip: Higher floors, away from Sutter provide quieter rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Please let us know when you return, I would love to meet you!
-Ina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The whole experience was brilliant. From the warm and wonderful service to the Pug wandering through the Living Room. The Monday night Film in the Library was brilliant and the overall look, feel, decor fantastic. Loved its history too and enjoyed wandering through the study area looking at the old Writers' relics. Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
moswanderlust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I found this hotel by accident a couple of years ago. Wanted to be near Union Square, but all of my regular choices (Sir Frances Drake, The Clift, Campton Place)were booked, and I was also trying to spend less while there. The Rex is a trip- both as an experience, and also as in "back in time". It's very artfully decorated with vintage paintings (all women) , has the moody vibe of a private club in 1920's London. Very comfortable library bar with friendly bar tenders and guests. The rooms are small, as usual with an authentic old place like this, but they make the best of them. Beds are good. Decor is cheery and comfy. The stairs are wooden and creak in the cool way of old places- I'm glad they have allowed it to stay that way. There used to be a very sweet resident dog that greeted me on arrival. Parking available. Average rate is about $240 on non-weekend nights. I always enjoy myself there, and the location is terrific.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator. Ask for a quiet room. Some face away from Union Square.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear MosWanderlust
Thank you so much for the great review and please let us know when you return or if any of your friends and family come our way. Would love to meet you in person.
_ina
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights May 2013. Located on Sutter Street. Ideal location for Union Square to get the hop on hop off bus. We arrived late and were allocated room 416. Room small and smelled musty. After one night we complained. It was facing the main road and we were woken up at 2am by the garbage being emptied. The receptionist apologised and confessed that they don't as a rule put any visitors in that room. Explained the smell. We were given room 606. It was twice the size and perfect. Great little pub as you turn right out of the hotel and walk to the next block. Called Sutter pub. Great drinks and food. Any questions feel free to email me. Free wifi too. Great to keep in contact with the kids. San Francisco great city. You
Will enjoy the location and hotel is perfect.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review and for pointing out that our staff was helpful. We may not be the fanciest hotel but my staff is my pride and joy!
all the best,
Ina
Buxton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We started off our two week tour of California at the Hotel Rex. Its a lovely hotel, our room was clean and we did not hear neighbouring rooms. The bar was great, the free glass of wine was good quality as was the beers on offer. We ate in the bar twice and the meals were excellent. The hotel is well located to visit all that San Francisco has to offer. We greatly appreciated the free coffee at 5 am whilst we were jet lagged!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
dear MrsH23:
Thank you so much for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor. It means a lot to us. Please let me know if you plan to return or if your friends and family will be headed our way.
El Dorado Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Rex in San Francisco! First, I am a dog lover and this hotel is definitely dog friendly. Right when we walked in, we got to meet the resident pug, Max. He is SUPER friendly and just adorably loveable. The room was clean and the hotel took care of us in every way. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Avoid this place at all costs. I stayed here for a conference and had the worst experience. The bed was as hard as a rock and the room was filthy and in desperate need of repair. To top it all off, the housekeeping stole my belongings! When I tried to get help for my stolen items, all of the staff, including the manager, ignored my calls and gave what I would describe as the worst customer service ever. Do not be fooled by this place! Look elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
We did check with the staff and perhaps your pants were accidentally put in the laundry with the linens which go to an outside vendor. We would like to resolve this issue with you.
-Ina

Been to Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!