“A Tremendous Suprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Vancouver, BC
“A Tremendous Suprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great location in downtown San Francisco(near Union Square) with small but well appointed rooms. Front desk staff were excellent as, unfortunately, they had to deal with our problem with a shuttle driver from the airport. Tremendously gracious and very pragmatic. Library Bar is a fantastic touch, serving up a free glass of wine every evening and, on some nights, a nice jazz ensemble. My wife and I have stayed in many places charging far higher prices but not had a better experience. We will be back again!!

Room Tip: Book a room above the third floor to avoid a sometimes noisy nightclub next door
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear DBIT:
Thanks for the great review on TripAdvisor. I will share with our staff. If you plan on coming down from Canada again soon, please let me know.
Ina Dang
general manager
HOTEL REX, a joie de vivre hotel
562 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
direct line: 415-217-4023

1,113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I will say, SF, like NY has pricey small hotel rooms and I didn't pay much at all for this room. A few bucks more would've afforded me the Omni and I probably should've done that. Some boutique hotels give you personalized service in a delicious special setting which is what makes them worthwhile. Hotel Rex is not that delicious, or special. Just a little small and a little cheaper than others.

The room I had was very stuffy and hot. And then the window swelled shut. They fixed the window while I was out and left it open all day. Since my room opened onto the fire escape I suppose I should be glad my things weren't stolen and the room finally cooled off. No AC, so I can't imagine the room in the summertime if it was stifling in early spring.

Also no one made up the room, which made me sad. I like housekeeping. I didn't need new linens or towels but I like coming back to having the bed made and the floor swept.

Shower was bockety. Beds were not super comfey.

Look. It's a room in a boutique hotel for less than everywhere else and still a great value for the money provided it's cool out. Lobby bar is cute. Bartender was nice and helpful. Food was good. Room service for dinner.

Probably wouldn't stay again, but I'm very picky. If you are on a budget check it out! Location is terrific for sure and the staff is very sweet and lovely.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Very small but elegant, rooms were comfy, beds super soft. lien clean.... nice bar and food.... would stay again, got on hotelstonight "rgarrett10" code if you use it for a discount.... paid $125 after everything. bonus room service and deliver ice to your door. location was excellent in union square area.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Rex for 1 night earlier this month. We were so happy we chose this hotel. The hotel staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. When we didn't know where to go for dinner, we asked the front desk for options. She suggested a great place within walking distance and we were not disappointed. The free glass of wine is a nice touch and the bar is adorable. The room was just what we needed - nothing too fancy or huge but hopefully if you are in San Francisco you aren't spending too much time in your room. The only negative is our room was a little stuffy and we couldn't open the windows, but there was a fan in the room so we may have just been using it incorrectly. For the price, this is a great hotel in a great location.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hotel Rex is a great little boutique hotel near Union Square. It's location is great if the convention center or the farmer's market at the Ferry Building is your destination. Union Square is very close, and with public transportation, or just a pleasant walk in the city, Chinatown and North Beach are easy to reach. Market Street is just a few blocks walk and there are buses that go to the Haight or the Marina. The lobby at Hotel Rex is great, very nice place to sit and read if you're waiting for someone. The bar/restaurant has a good atmosphere. I've stayed at the Rex a couple of times. The first time I loved my room. I had a great view, very clean and roomy. The second time, I didn't love my room so much. It was clean and very roomy, but awkward with a poor view. I wasn't in my room a lot, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Staff is wonderful, very helpful and good dispositions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Chugwater, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After much research, which I love doing on Trip Advisor, I found a screaming deal on Rex (getaroom) and took it. The lobby and feel of the place is great dark, artsy, cosy, nice bar menu, helpful staff, very boutique-y.

We'd booked a Queen room, they put us overlooking Sutter street. The window was single-pane and rattly. At that point it was like a clean and glorified hostel (bathrooms are quite basic.) My husband doesn't do noise very well, so we paid $30 more a night to go to a King (deluxe?) on the backside. It was bigger, nicely appointed, and at that point, quite good value.

Location is very central, not on an amazing block, but about 10-15 min walk to most places you'd like to go as a tourist, or half-a-block from the tram. We were out and about most of the time, but the hotel room is important to me at the times I'm in it, and we were very satisfied.

They let us store our bags the day we checked out.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are loud, rooms on the back are quiet and overlook a green space.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just returned home with memories for a lifetime and the Hotel Rex contributed greatly to the success of our recent Mother/Daughter trip to San Francisco. From my first communication with Andrea in group sales to packing up in the town cars ( a wonderful suggestion by the front desk staff) to head to the airport, this stay was one of the most pleasurable ones in a long time. The staff is amazing and our whole group of 8 total agreed. Whenever we returned back from the hotel we were asked how our outing was. The wine at 5:00 was a wonderful perk. The location is also fantastic. I did not have breakfast, but others did and seemed to enjoy it. I read other reviews and therefore I asked for rooms in the back of the hotel. Noise was not a problem for any of us. The hotel is charmingly dated, with some new features and technology. The Hotel Rex is not a good choice for travelers who want to be invisible or who are used to a more corporate decor and style. If that is not what you are looking for, or you want to try something different, I would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel Rex.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Findingfood:
Thank you so much for the great review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you had a great mother daughter getaway and enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I just started here at the Hotel Rex as the general manager so I cannot take credit for your stay but I am happy to share this review with our staff and to encourage them to keep doing more of the same - helping create lifetime memories. let me know if you ever need anything and if you plan to return to the city.
all the ebst,
Ina
Ina Dang
general manager
HOTEL REX, a Joie de Vivre hotel
562 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
direct line: 415-217-4023

Been to Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!