“Great hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zetta San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Hotel Zetta San Francisco to your Saves list
Hotel Zetta San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Fifth Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Formerly Hotel Milano) (SoMa)   |
Special Offer
Plan Early, Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bologna, Italy
“Great hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Really friendly service in a unique boutique hotel. Great spot just south of Market, a few minutes stroll from Union Square.
Room was a nice size, we were there for 3 nights.
The maid broke the top of a bottle of organic body wash. They bought us a new (larger) bottle to replace it.
Valet parking is pricey at $50 per night and takes a good 10 mins to bring the car round.
Nice games room and great lobby.
Overall good value and highly recommended.

Green Features: Standard things around towels and not changing sheets, separate recycling bin.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Frostietheboarder,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you decided to share your experience on this site. We do indeed have a very friendly team and they are very proud and passionate about the hotel and each and every guests. I hope that you also had a change to try our restaurant.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Safe travels,
Benjamin Duverge - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We were looking for a place to stay for one night in San Francisco and found Hotel Zetta. The location was great and the hotel is so trendy and I appreciate the environmental friendliness. From the moment you walk into the lobby, you know you are someplace special. I love all the "artsy" details: plinko, the swinging egg chair, the game room... Our room was beautiful and spacious and had all we needed for a comfortable, restful night. The staff members were friendly and helpful. The price was a bit more than I would usually like to pay but we so appreciated the vibe. Thanks for the fun, Zepto!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear JourneyerX,
Thank you for the great review! i love the fact that you noticed a lot of the details of our design in only one night. You even noticed and remembered the name of our mechanic doc: Zepto. I truly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon so that we can show you more of our unique design features. Ask us about our #takethestairs during your next stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 6 nights from the UK. We did book a deluxe room and we were on the front high up which was a good choice, as other rooms do look into internal light wells.

Speaking to the taxi driver on the way in the hotel (before it became Hotel Zetta) was pretty average, but you can see they have spend a lot of money to turn around this hotel and the attention to detail on the interior design was very noticeable, the artwork and quality of decoration is high. Take time to wonder around each floor to look at the artwork and also the stairwell for some urban art. We have stayed in other good quality hotels since and they all look a bit drab in comparison.

I was a bit unsure on the 'games room' as this in other hotels means a room somewhere with loads of kids but at this hotel they are retro type games incorporated into the lobby/mezzanine area which is also very inviting and relaxed, with a bit atmosphere at night without being noisy. The hotel seems to attract the younger more vibrant guest who is still looking for quality and dismisses the stereotypical hotel themes of doormen in top hats and stuffy staff which is refreshing. The local area has a conference centre so seems to attract the 'tech' types and the hotel is run on this theme, but is still welcoming to tourists.

The hotel is very convenient for the Westfield shopping centre (which is next door), the upmarket shops on Market Street and Union Sq with Fishermans walk (which was good to visit but would not want to stay there) being say 45 mins walk away or 15mins on the various trams.

I would not want the hotel to be any further away from this main stretch as the Mission area does seem to have a problem with the homeless and expect to see them sleeping on the steps of the building opposite late at night, however this seems to be a generic SF issue which no one had really highlighted to me before. You seem to get used to it all over SF. The walk to the docks and shopping areas is fine however I would tend to get the tram to the Casto area.

In summary the hotel a must for those perhaps who want an alternative to the 'traditional' stuffy hotel but still wants the quality and a real treat for art lovers and you do find your feet with the area but I suggest this is the same with any hotel in a place you are not familiar with, I think we were just expecting SF to be a little softer than other American cities. P.S the food in the restaurant is very good.

Room Tip: Front rooms, higher up.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alpha-NG,
Wow, what a detailed review, I love it. During your 6 night stay you seem to have to have uncovered all the intricacies of our design including our very unique stairwell. You are right,we are not your typical hotel and our design and recycled, re purposed art is something that you will not find in any other hotel in San Francisco. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and teh entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Please check your bills from this hotel. I was billed an extra charge of $6.53 and it was not on my folio when I left the hotel and I did not use the minibar. I know it is not much but I called accounting and they said they would reverse the charge. One month later and there still was no credit on my card. I wonder if they do this often and no one bothers to complain for a meager 6 bucks, and over time that money adds up. Anyone else have these issues? The bartender was a sweetheart by the way, and front desk personnel were good too. Rooms were fine, game room is fun.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Booked through Expedia, and we were supposed to get a bigger room, but realized long after the fact that we were in a regular room which is a bit on the small size. The bathroom area was a bit tight getting in and out. There was no view in our room. But it was quiet and had good sleeps there. Staff were great, especially the lobby bar people. I was there on a Friday night, and they turned the lobby into a dance area with a dj, I thought it was a bit small for that.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Walkabout101,
You seemed to have stayed when we have a special event in our lobby when we partner with a local charity. These are invitation only events in the lobby and the playroom and they create a great vibe in the hotel. Hotel guests are always invited and welcome to these events, it is a great opportunity to meet some new people.
I am delighted that you enjoyed our lobby team, we are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Overall a great hotel, lobby and games room brilliant, room spacious and bathroom great. We arrived after a long flight from the UK and had to wait a while to check in. There were some 2 females chatting to the staff. Despite emailing in advance and requesting a room with an external view, and receiving an email confirming this, when we got to the room, it was in fact facing the room opposite. There was no bed made up for our children, when I enquired, I was told that I could make it myself even though there was no bedding. Eventually this was resolved, apart from these issues, overall a good stay

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sarah H,
Thank you for the review, I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations and I have addressed this with my team as we are committed to provide a unique experience to all our guests.
i am however delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall and I am looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Safe travels,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is a very nice, central boutique hotel in San Francisco. Trying to be a little different than all the chains. The location is excellent, the service is very personal. Only stayed here for one night, but it was actually very good. I'll come back.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear OliverS,
Thank you for the kind words, we truly hope that you can stay longer on your next visit. The details of our design are plentiful and it often takes more than one day to fully appreciate the hotel and all the fun amenities. If you stay on a Saturday, we also offer a complimentary yoga class for our guests.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Cheers and safe travels,
Benjamin Duverge - General Manager

Been to Hotel Zetta San Francisco? Share your experiences!