“Great Location Great Price” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   440 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #64 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Location Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great boutique hotel a block from Union Square. Staff was very attentive and helpful. The modern rooms were surprisingly larger than expected. Wifi worked great. Starbucks right next door. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. The only issue was 1 of the nights the A/C/Heater unit started making a lot of noise in the middle of the night for a couple of hours which was annoying. Other than that I would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

876 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Found this to be a nice downtown option. Price was less then nearby larger hotels. Beds were great room was small, clean but was a little noisy making it a four not five star option. If you don't require all the frills this can be a great base for exploring San Fran.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street. Found a great rate online.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Dazzle34,

Thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. Although Hotel Diva is facing a main street, the property does have a lot of quiet rooms facing the interior and the back of the building. I encourage our guests to let us know their preference upon making the reservation or at check-in time.

I hope you will think of us once again on your next trip to San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you soon!

park city UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

There are several small hotels like this one around union square and having stayed in a number of them I can say is is a great choice. The rooms are a bit small but they are stylishly decorated and have everything you need. The location is terrific, right across the street from a theater and the Clift hotel, a great place to go for an evening. You are also a short walk from union square itself and BART. The hotel staff were all kind and helpful and help give the place a personal feel. While there are certainly more expensive and fancier options in the area, if you're looking for a stylish room at a reasonable price in a great location, you can't go wrong here

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face an interior courtyard. They are very quiet but they have zero view and since...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Hello Expedition Daddy,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Diva with Trip Advisor. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had the chance to enjoy the complimentary amenities we offer. Hurry back to San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

New Canaan, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel Diva tries to position itself as trendy and chic. In reality, it is way over-priced and of very poor quality: small, very noisy rooms; cheap, broken furniture; terrible TV reception; erratic water temperature in the shower. Only positives were good check in and check out.

I stayed in room 620, facing Geary Street, on 6th of 7 floors. The traffic noise was absolutely horrendous and deafening. Also, there was a door to an adjoining room that looked of normal thickness but must be hollow as I could hear every word that the people in the next room said or watched on TV. Also, whenever the HVAC unit came on I had to adjust the TV volume, probably more due to the smallness of the room than anything else. I knew I was in trouble when I saw that the hotel provides you with ear plugs along with your shampoo, etc. You will not be able to sleep without the ear plugs.

The bathroom is slightly bigger than a closet, with no room or shelves to put your stuff. I took a shower at 5am and the water temperature constantly fluctuated between hot and cold.

The furniture is uncomfortable and cheap- the chair for the desk was broken and is not suitable for working.

The TV reception is awful - very grainy and only analog. No digital. You do get free wi-fi. Wow.

Stay away from this place. I went there via the " secret hotel" option on Travelocity - the hotel calls itself 3 1/2 stars. It's far from that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Patrick H,

Thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. I always encourage my guests to communicate to myself and my staff any concerns they may have during their stay. This way, we are able to accommodate our guests the best way possible and that they will have a pleasant stay with us.

I most certainly hope you will give Hotel Diva another chance and give us the opportunity to change your impression on us. Pleasse contact me directly for future reservations so we can very well accommodate you.

Hotel Diva
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I planned to stay here for 2 nights when visiting family in San Fran. I moved after one night, as it just wasn't up to my standards. The design was cute and the front staff kind but the room felt like an old apt in manhattan (crumbly bathroom, tiny, loud outside, not entirely safe) and the hotel services were hard to find (there were a few things on the second floor according to the signs, no lounge on first floor) and there seemed to be a skeleton staff after 10pm. No room service, no food, no drinks, no delivery of toothpaste:) I booked it bc it was significantly less money then where my family was staying but in the end, the difference was only $30 a night and it was worth it to have amenities and a real hotel. This place is like a stylish motel for a person used to at least 3.5 stars. There were a lot of college aged kids there who seemed to have a great time, excellent location. Good place to stay if short on funds.

• Stayed January 2013
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear HappyEscapist,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Hotel Diva. I am truly sorry to hear that your experience was not as pleasant as you would have expected.
Hotel Diva has quiet rooms located in the interior and back of the hotel. A Mexican Bistro located in our lobby level, Colibri has a full bar and they do provide room service to our guests.

I hope you will give Hotel Diva another chance. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I really want to rate this a 3.5 as there was nothing terrible about it, and it met my expectations.

As someone who travels a lot to SF and stays in many hotels around Union Square (I book whatever last minute deal looks the best), I know that all SF rooms, and especially Union Square rooms are small and subject to outside noises. I had read the review of the person who mentioned the 6am wake-up call from the trash cans being emptied, and yes, this happened to me. Certainly a bummer, but as a Business traveler, it wasn't really that much of a big deal.

The floors do feel cramped, as compared to other Union Square hotels, but it's fine. Wifi was "ok" but not great. Passable connection for most.

The lack of a bar / restaurant is part of what makes this average but there are plenty of restaurant and bar options around. Also, there's a good liquor store on the corner a few steps down from the hotel and a Starbucks literally right next door to the hotel, two plusses.

Didn't have any occasion to interact with hotel staff other than at check-in so wasn't able to experience anything extraordinary there.

For the price I paid, it absolutely met expectations but nothing more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Tom W,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Diva. I hope you enjoyed your stay with us. The mexican bistro located in our lobby level, Colibri does have a full bar! They make great cocktails as well as serve fabulous weekend brunch. Please make sure you don't miss it the next time you're in town.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Diva for three nights in mid January. It was my first time going to San Francisco and my boyfriend had read about Hotel Diva on a different website. He ended up booking this hotel (honestly, I had my doubts..) the night before we were due to arrive. I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The hotel offered free wifi which was definitely a plus! The room we got was huge (king size bed, couch, desk, coffee table, and refrigerator). It even had a seperate sink area so i was able to get ready while my boyfriend was getting ready in the bathroom. Overall, everything was very clean and pleasant. It faced Geary Street so we had a view of the theatre across the street and bustling city down below.

It is very close to Union Square, a walgreens, a few parking garages, a Starbucks right next door, and a great little old school diner called David's Deli and Bistro that serves awesome breakfast (the eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon were so yum!!).

The only downside was the noise! It was quite loud for us the first night (we slept without the air con/heater). We could hear the trucks, cars, loud drumming music, people yelling across the street, dog barking, car alarm going off, fire truck, dump truck, etc. It definitely helped to turn on the heater for the next few nights but my boyfriend still slept with earplugs after the first night. Also, only one elevator was working properly so it was a little annoying at times.

Overall a good experience but if you are easily disturbed by the noise or are a light sleeper, I would recommend staying elsewhere since Geary is quite a busy street. If you can live with a bit of noise, then book it! You can't beat the value for the price! Very spacious, very clean, very comfortable. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Diva? Share your experiences!