“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Edmonton, Alberta
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for one night while we were in town taking in a baseball game and some of the beautiful sights the city has to offer.

Getting there was a bit of a pain in the rear end, the hotel is located right in the heart of downtown and all the roads are one way streets and several of them were under construction with detours. We probably spent a good 20 minutes trying to find a way to get to the hotel. A GPS is essential if you're new to the city and trying to get around.

Check-in was a breeze and were sent up to our room on the second floor. The one elevator was broken and the other one was slow so we took the stairs - no biggie, it was just on the next floor.

Our room was fantastic. We had 2 double beds and they were beyond comfy!!! The pillows and that fuzzy throw are heaven on earth. Yes, the bathroom and sink and insanely small but that's what I would expecting being in San Fran - everything seems to be squished together to maximize the use of the room. We had the wonderful blinds in our room, we pulled them up because we were curious what kind of a view we had... brick walls! Again, no biggie, if you want a view step outside of your hotel and soak in everything that's going on around you!

If I'm ever staying overnight in the city again, I'll surely be coming back to this hotel!

I must mention - if I had my family of 4 with me, I'd be going a little batty. With all the additional stuff that comes with being a family that would make for some pretty tight quarters.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Recently stayed at the lovely Diva Hotel for business. My room was spacious with stylish yet fun décor of “shades of gray”. The hotel location was perfect…..right in the heart of Union Square with fabulous dining options, theater, shopping, and mass transit including, trolley, bus, and BART metro (all within a 2-3 blocks).

Service was top notch. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. In fact, they went far above and beyond the call of duty. I left my laptop in my hotel room and they quickly made arrangements to get it to me at the airport before my flight departed. All in all a fabulous service experience. I will definitely stay at the DIVA Hotel whenever l return to SF.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Have been stayng here for the better part of 25 years on business trip to the Bay Area. Convenience, comfort and staff that generally is as helpful and friendly as staff can be. With the recent retirement of the "head bellhop", David, there's an adjustment going on in that area, but all in all, will continue to stay here. My suggestion- ask for a room away from geary-it will be quieter.

Room Tip: away from geary
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear theAdog56,

On behalf of Hotel Diva and Personality Hotels, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your loyalty. We are lucky to have a loyal guest like you.

David has been a great asset to the Hotel Diva and we will always value his hard work and many other talents. Having spent twenty five years with us, I hope David's retirement will inspire my "new generation" bell/concierge staff to achieve the many great work and oustanding service David has provided our guests. Please be assured that my present staff is equally capable of doing so.

Please let me know the next time you are at Hotel Diva. I would love to personally meet you and thank you.

We hope to see you soon!

Hotel Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

To start off with something good, the location is great and the front desk staff are very helpful. The room was okay, but I wouldn't call it clean. One of the light bulbs in the bathroom works on a timer, which is annoying as it goes off every 20 minutes at most, leaving a pretty dark bathroom. One of the elevators was out of service for 2 nights out of our 3 night stay, which made the trips up and down from our room ridiculously long. The rooms are also very noisy and you can hear clearly everything that happens in the hallway and on the street. But then again, San Francisco is pretty pricey, so I guess that's what you get for the price of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear YaB90,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear you weren't too pleased with your accommodations. The light bulb in the bathroom you were referring to is a heat lamp that's why it's on a timer. I hope you will stay with us again and give us the chance to change your impression on us.

Inspite of, I hope you had the chance to enjoy the many great complimentary amenities we offer: WIFI, business center, fitness center, tea lounge as well as complimentary Perrier water in the lobby through out the whole day and our popular Sake hour from 5 to 7 pm.

Please consider staying with us again. We would love to have you back!

Hotel Manager
Red Deer, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My friend and I booked the Hotel Diva for a recent fun trip to San Francisco, we booked a king sized bed to save money and when we arrived, were given a room with a queen, we immediately went down to the front desk to correct the error and were told there were no available kings for that night. I said that was ok but could we please get what we booked for the remainder of our stay? We were told that while there were kings coming available the following nights, they couldn't guarantee that we would get one as they might get booked up! I suggested that she put our name on one of those so that we would get the room we booked and she just kept repeating herself like a robot. That was only the beginning. We had a room with a flag pole right outside that was constantly rattling, it was so noisy, it sounded like the window was open all night and this hotel is located on a very busy, noisy street so we barely slept. The room was VERY small with barely enough room to walk around the queen sized bed, bathroom was very small as well. When booking this hotel, we read that one of the two elevators was out of service but we figured that would be fixed by the time we arrived as the reviews were from some time ago, this was not the case. Only one elevator was working and the other one took you down to the basement every time you got on in the lobby whether someone was getting on or off in the basement or not. We got to our room, cancelled the rest of our stay and book at the Hotel Florence which was spacious and lovely and the staff were very helpful and accommodating, so unlike the Hotel Diva. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get one on the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Summeroffun 08,

I'm sorry to hear you did not get the room you expected. I'm not sure how you booked your reservation. But for the benefit of the many Trip Advisor readers: When a reservation is booked for a deluxe room with one bed through a third party website, it does not guarantee the guest a king bed although it says "Deluxe Queen or King". "Deluxe Queen of King" means either bed type can be assigned depending on availability at arrival. Again, I always encourage our guests to call our reservations department directly for accuracy and at the same time you are able to make any special requests pertaining to your reservation.

I am truly sorry we are unable to meet your expections this time. I hope you will give us another chance and consider staying at Hotel Diva on your next trip to San Francisco...because next time I'm sure...you would not want to leave.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed at the Diva as part of our trip to the USA West Coast and it was a perfect start. A small and friendly boutique hotel with good size rooms. The reception staff are helpful, friendly and professional without being intrusive. The location is central for visiting the main attractions. The only slight negative is the view from the room - but we had requested the quieter side of the hotel and we weren't there for the view! I had read some comments about the size of the lift and that it was dimly lit. Some people moan about anything - it was large enough for 4 of us with luggage and the lighting is funky.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms mean a poor view, but even on the street side its only overlooking the street. We only l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

A group of us stayed in hotel diva for a few nights recently while visiting san Francisco.This hotel is in an ideal location for seeing all the sights this great city has to offer. Rooms are clean but very small. Lifts are slow ,walking up the stairs is quicker. Staff are very nice & friendly.
Unfortunately San Francisco has a very high homelessness rate so unless you have a cold heart be prepared to part with a few dollars around this area and the city in general.
We had a great time in this great city and I would return to hotel Diva

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel Diva? Share your experiences!