“Good hotel in the middle of everything” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   655 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #103 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Good hotel in the middle of everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Nice hotel, very good service from all the staff. Always ready to help you.Room are clean, It is worth to buy the bus, tramways pass. You can go around very easily. The surrounding of the hotel is not the best but the service, their free shuttle service and the price is worth the consideration

Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your recent review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you for giving us an in depth overview of your entire experience and also by providing tips and suggestions on this review. Other travelers reading this review would most certainly appreciate this. I'm proud to hear that my staff did an amazing job in providing excellent service and that you were also able to take advantage of the complimentary services and amenities we offered.

Have a fantastic and Happy Holiday Season. We do hope to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Made two reservations for two "city view" rooms with king size bed. Got two on the first floor with view to a wall just above the noisy valet parking.
Frontdesk lady at night really rude with no idea of customer service. Never apologized for not having the rooms reservation was made for. Supposedly no rooms available, but after complaining 10 minutes she found a room available, but she said i had to leave it early next morning because it was 50 usd more expensive than my reservation.
I travel a lot, and usually if the room you make the reservation for is not available, you receive an upgrade for the full stay. Anyway, i was tired, took that room and moved to another room next morning. That room was ok.
That was about one room. The second room (the noisy one on the first floor with "wall view" instead of city view i had to keep it for the 5 day stay.
In general, Hotel rooms are clean and ok. Parking service is good to be in a city like San Fco. Would reccommend it, but staff rudeness and no respect for reservation is something not acceptable.
Night Staff needs some training on customer care and service right away.

Stayed November 2014
Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago

We deeply apologize that the service we provide here did not meet your expectations and that the room that we provided you was unfortunately not the room type that you had reserved. I would like to investigate further so that I will be able to remedy the situation. When you have the time could you please e-mail me at matthew.salvan@covahotel.com so that I can see what happened with your reservation.

We always try our best to meet the guest requests and there are some cases where we are unable to honor a request. When I investigate, it will allow me to determine if your room type was guaranteed for the city view.

As for the attitude of the Front Desk Agent. I apologize that she was not helpful during the time of your check-in. I am positive that if we had the room available she would have provided your room of your liking but seeing how it was unavailable, I can surely see your frustration.

Again, please contact me so I can investigate further. Your review will not be overlooked and I will make sure to contact you back with my findings. Thank you for your response and I look forward to hearing from you.
prince albert, sk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I chose this hotel because the free shuttle to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. I understood this was not the most upscale location, we felt safe the entire time. The staff were amazing. Lawrence is very knowledgeable and always willing to offer advice he is fun and always smiling. Glenn (The Music Man) was our driver most of the time, he is funny and witty he also loves to listen to his tunes and might even add a little fun to the ride.

MrCrave restaurant has excellent food at a decent price. Breakfasts were always fresh and delicious and the menu items were very flavorful.

The beds and pillows are not much to rave about and we felt the carpet could use a spot cleaning. For us service out weighed the comfort.

Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm very proud Lorence and Glenn were able to accommodate you with great service. Both of them are a pleasure to work with. Glenn loves to sing and entertain the desk also. You can catch his shows every Wednesday night in the lobby. heheheh... We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 771-3000 or email me directly at matthew.salvan@covahotel.com.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Couldn't fault hotel was good. Eilis St was a experience. It was dirty and smelly. It was full of addicts looking for money. In morning they were like zombies. Didn't feel safe walking to or from the hotel and was worse at night time. The second day of our visit we used taxi to return to hotel.

Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered while staying at the Cova Hotel. We are in the center of downtown San Francisco. With that being said, the vivid city life that surrounds our hotel can be alarming. As you know, we take various precautions to alleviate our guest of these potentially unwanted experiences through our complimentary shuttle service that drops and picks you up at key parts of the city. We are also working closely with the local city government to do more in stimulating our neighborhood.

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experience, and we hope that you can give us another chance to give you our excellent customer service. Feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to remedy the situation at matthew.salvan@covahotel.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

great hotel just spent 2 nights there on a visit from the uk, reception staff were fantastic and very very helpful.like in other reviews the location isn't great but it's only a ten minute walk to union square and hotel has free shuttle bus

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm very proud that my staff was able to accommodate you with great service. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to our location. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle we offer and that it as able to make you feel more comfortable in the area. The walk from the hotel going to union square is indeed about 10 minutes and all you have to do is avoid one street to have a more pleasant view of the streets. Only registered guest can enter the hotel lobby and elevators at all times so i'm glad that you felt secure while staying with us.

We do hope to see you in the near future. May you have a Happy Holiday Season and many more successful hotel stays to come.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I wanted a hotel near Union Square, and I was traveling on a budget ... just a quick weekend stay. In recent years, the Tenderloin district of San Francisco has suffered because of a dramatic increase in homeless. The area south of Market has been revitalized, pushing them into this area. But, I must say, while there were quite a few of them around at night, they weren't aggressive and I felt safe while walking there.

The hotel has an OK restaurant, "Mr. Crave" which served an (included) breakfast buffet. It was pretty good. The room was nice, and except for the downtown sirens at night, it was quiet. Can't blame the hotel for that! I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: At check-in, I was offered a choice of "a good view, or a quiet room" ... I took the quiet...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. There are a lot of hotels in San Francisco that are very reasonably priced and the service and amenities are more than adequate. With our complimentary continental breakfast, shuttle service to assigned areas in the city and Wi-Fi service, our price point is very competitive and even better than other hotels in the city. . Fortunately, we are one of those hotels that exemplify COmfort and VAlue.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you in the near future to provide you great service and the room of your choice. The tip that you provided future guests is surely a great help to those reading your review.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Cova is nice if you just stays at the hotell. Rooms and reception is good. But its located in the ghetto, you dont wanna go there by night if you dont want to get crack or a hooker. The restaruant (not owned by cova) is one of the worst places i've went to. No service at all, took about 15 minutes just to get a menu when it was 6 other guest dining. The food i dont gonna waste time on, you gonna throw up... We had breakfast "included" there aswell, and is was awfull. I wanted a french toast as an extra, 8,85 dollar, but after 20 minutes i canceled it. The chief was in the bar doing nothing but the waitress said that it was finished after I complained at her. So if you planned to go here, think twice. Its in SFs worst ghetto, everyone says that you should not go there, and the service around the hotell is the worst ever. This hotell deserves a better location and a own restaurant. DONT GO HERE!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Matthew_Salvan, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered where Cova Hotel is located. We are in the center of downtown San Francisco. With that being said, the vivid city life that surrounds our hotel can be alarming. As you know, we take various precautions to alleviate our guest of these potentially unwanted experiences through our complimentary shuttle service that drops and picks you up at key parts of the city. We are also working closely with the local city government to do more in stimulating our neighborhood.

We are located in the tenderloin, which is very unique part of San Francisco and we do not hide that from our guests. Our front desk agents are so knowledgeable advising our guests which area or streets to pass up to make them feel safe about the area. On the other hand, we do not have control over our neighborhood.

Been to Cova Hotel? Share your experiences!