“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nanaimo
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We are still here in Cova on our last of 4 nights. The highlight is the staff who go out of their way to help you. From the midnight welcome from the security guard, to the flamboyant Latoya and her assistants (Christian and Mark) on the front desk, to the hardworking room maids, everyone was fantastic. It is a good little boutique hotel, with a great free breakfast, plus free internet. The rooms are good, lovely comfy bed, good shower and toiletries. Storage is minimal. The only downside is the area, where there are plenty of less fortunate people living on the street. It is unnerving, but these folk are not bothering the hotel patrons in any way, just trying to exist in their own way, God bless them.
Thank you everyone for a good experience!

PS there is no A/C, but we did not need it in cooler San Fran.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Romet,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your recent review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Being a senior contributor such as yourself, i'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I'm very proud that my staff was able to accommodate and made you feel welcomed from the moment you stepped in on our property. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm also very pleased to hear that the room and complimentary amenities suited your needs as a traveler and our guest.

Thank you for you honest feedback in regards to the immediate area of the neighborhood. Though it did made you feel unnerving, they are harmless and minds their own business as usual.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The is an amazing hotel and I will list the reasons why! However, this hotel is let down by its location...

The Hotel staff are the most helpful, kindest and friendliest hotel staff we have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. The two that we spoke to the most were Lawrence and Christian (we think that they are the names). They we there from day one helping us with everything that we needed to know. One time, the free shuttle bus was over booked so they paid for a taxi for us :)
All of the other members of staff were equally as helpful. The hotel was very clean and safe to be in. Everything in the room worked, it was spacious and quiet. The rooftop never seemed to get used but we thought that it was a brilliant place to chill out if you didn't want to leave the hotel.

The one single downside to the hotel is the location. It is in an area known as the Tenderloin. This is one of the most deprived areas I've ever been in and to be honest, it was scary. In fact, we made sure that we didn't come back to the hotel when it was too dark. The hotel staff are aware of this and give great directions to avoid the worst part (head north up Hyde and east down Geary street). Avoid walking south of hotel if you can. One day was walked through it to get to the Civic metro line and it was like walking through a prison playground. However, on the way back we got off 2 stops late and walked along Geary street, which was a lot better.

Please consider staying at this hotel but be aware of the places to avoid.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings JBibanez7,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your in depth review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm very pleased to hear that the staff attended to your needs throughout your stay. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Lorence and Christian has always provided consistent service and I'm very proud to have them in my team. I will make sure to pass on your comments to both of them. I'm also delighted to hear that you found your room and other hotel facility suitable to your needs.

On the other hand, i'm sorry to hear that you felt scared in the immediate area of the hotel but i'm glad that the staff provided adequate directions during your stay with us. As you can see, the streets of San Francisco changes dramatically so i'm glad that you have a different overview of Geary Street.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic staff and were happy to help with everything we needed ,which included ordering take out at midnight to be delivered back to the hotel! They recommend a fantastic pizza joint. Everyone comments on the location of the hotel, yes it is in an area where there are a lot of homeless but we never felt unsafe. As long as you keep to yourself, the homeless will as well. The room itself was perfect and had enough room for all our luggage. Would recommend to stay here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Rachelle B,

I'm glad to hear that my staff was able to provide excellent service and cater to your needs. There are lots of pizza delivery restaurants in San Francisco and i'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the one that they referred to you. I'm also pleased to hear that you never felt unsafe in the immediate area.

Ann Arbor MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was exactly as I was led to believe from guest reviews except that the service from all of the staff was even better than I expected. They were personable, helpful, and knew exactly what information to provide to be most useful to tourists (which we were). The room was lovely, and there is an essentially unused rooftop lounge with comfortable seating and tables if you want to get takeout and bring it back for dinner. The included "continental" breakfast was hefty and all-you-can-eat--scrambled eggs, ham, cheese, potatoes, croissants, sourdough toast, cereals, yogurt, orange juice, and coffee/tea. The shuttle service to three main destinations was excellent, and a very wise thing for them to provide given the derelict surroundings. Only the faintest of heart need avoid this hotel because of the location, though. We learned that by walking up Polk or Larkin (rather than Hyde) from UN Plaza we could avoid almost all of the unpleasant areas. In big cities we try not to look like tourists and walk purposefully, and, in truth, what we were avoiding here was poverty, rather than anything terrifically dangerous. And to the people who commented on parking being an extra charge--leave your car at home! Parking is always extra in big cities and all of SF's public transportation--BART and the MUNI system (streetcars, busses, cable car)--are available just 4-5 blocks from the hotel in the UN Plaza area. It's quite easy to figure out and faster than driving in many cases, especially BART to the airports, Berkeley, and baseball games at AT&T Park and in Oakland.

Room Tip: Ours was on the third floor and looked out over the main entrance. Because it is only six floors, I...
Green Features: A separate waste can was provided in the room for recyclables. Towels were replaced daily rather than allowing them to be used again.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings Lisa L,

Being a top contributor here on TripAdvisor, i'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I'm very proud that my entire staff was able to exceed your expectations and
as you mentioned, personable and helpful. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, rooftop lounge, all you can eat continental breakfast and complimentary shuttle service. These are a few things to name that makes our hotel an excellent value while experiencing comfort at all times.

Thank you for your honest feedback of the immediate area. I'm glad that it did not bother your outlook of the hotel. The streets of San Francisco can change dramatically and i'm glad you were able to see it through. We always give the best directions to all our guests rest assured. I agree with your advise on not bringing a car in San Francisco. Public transportation in the city is extremely easy to use and take advantage of. Plus, we are also just 10 minutes of a walk away from downtown Union Square as you mentioned.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time in sharing your feedback of your experience with us. I'm sure that travelers reading this would appreciate this and help them decide and choose to stay with us in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

From the minute we got here it's been nothing but an amazing experience. Christian went above and beyond expectations and the rest of the staff was wonderful. Staff was informative and helpful and gave us many recommendations on what to do on our trip. Room is spotless and hotel has a great location near union square despite the homeless people. Would defintely recommend this hotel. Also the restaurant has delicious food and our waitress was delightful.

• Stayed August 2014
Greetings Michael M,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with with us. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm very happy that Christian was able to stand out and make your stay at the hotel a great experience. Christian is one of our most recently hired employees. He is definitely a great addition to our team. I will make sure to share your comments to him. We hope that you found a home in us and continue to return as often as possible.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We asked to use the courtesy shuttle bus quite a few times but it was full or not running as it was a Sunday etc etc. hotel was adequate but location wasn't great, lots of homeless people around as church down the road helps them so they just wander around the area.

Stayed August 2014
Greetings TripAdvisor Member,

I'm glad to that you were satisfied with the service that my staff provided to you and that the hotels services and amenities were adequate to your needs. On the other hand, we do sincerely apologize that you were not able to take advantage of the shuttle service in some of the few days while staying with us. During summertime, our shuttle service is extremely popular so we always advise our guests to book and reserve at check in as early as possible.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff are lovely here and very helpful. We had breakfast included which comes as a voucher for the cafe next door and was very good. The room was nice but be warned if it gets hot, there is no air conditioning. There are a lot of homeless people and people you wouldn't necessarily want to spend your holiday with in the surrounding areas and the staff warned us about the Tenderloin, which is basically the area the hotel is in. You cant really walk around outside and need to use the free shuttle (if you can get in it - it was full one morning so we had to get a taxi). The only parking choice is valet only and at 24 dollars a day,very expensive.
The people who work at the hotel are definitely the best thing about the hotel and the rooms are basic and ok for the price.

Room Tip: Not really any tips for the best rooms as I only saw mine, but it was basic and comfortable and pret...
Green Features: I don't really know if they have an environmental policy except for the standard notice about not washing towels every day if we leave them on the rail.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings MarieHenry2014,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your review and for sharing your experience with us.

I'm happy to hear that my staff did an excellent job in making sure that you are well taken cared of. Though the location did not suite you that well, i hope that it did not diminish your outlook on your entire experience with us. In regards to the air conditioning in the rooms, unfortunately, we are one of the many hotels in the city that does not offer this. We also apologize that you were not able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service one morning. Our shuttle service is quite popular and does get full from time to time. At check in, we always advise our guests to book and reserve in advance as early as possible. As for the parking fee, we are actually one of the cheapest hotels in San Francisco that offer them. Our rates are very reasonable compared to the going rate in the city.

Been to Cova Hotel? Share your experiences!