“Nice hotel considering location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   655 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94109   |
Ranked #104 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cork, Ireland
“Nice hotel considering location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Nice clean hotel. comfortable beds with friendly helpful staff. Located in an Iffy part if the city a lot of homeless people on the streets surrounding it but the hotel work hard on making guest feel at ease like providing buses etc. Not much of a choice around for dinner.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings gracetipp,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your recent review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate to your needs and provide excellent service by making sure that you felt safe and secure during your stay with us. Though the location did make you feel a little iffy, i'm still glad to hear that it did not diminish your view of the hotel.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again in the near future. When you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Most of all, you have staff that are willing to help and answer questions and point you in the right direction.

Other reviews will tell you about the surrounding area which is very true, there are a lot of homeless people (more so in this area that most other parts of town - it is called the 'tenderloin') so be ready to see some walking up and down the street. During the day we had no issues with safety, but at night, I would definitely be careful where you went right in the area.

The rooms themselves were very clean, beds were comfy, pillows were soft and the bathrooms were good size. Overall for the price we paid, we felt we got a good value for our money.

The staff is amazing. They were able to arrange trips, offer food suggestions and overall just provided a nice atmosphere to the hotel.

We used the shuttle (which was free) to get to other parts of town (both there and back) and then also used 'Uber' to get back to the hotel (usually at night). There are two Bart stations that are within a couple of blocks of the hotel, probably about a 10 minute walk to either, but you will have to traverse the homeless population to get to either of them.

The hotel was able to arrange a shuttle back to the airport on our departure for $15 per person and that is very reasonable for the distance (a taxi would probably run about $60 for 2 for comparisons sake).

Please note that there are no air conditioners in the rooms. We left our sliding door open and also used the provided fan and had no problem keeping the room cool.

We also got breakfast with the room each morning which was served buffet style in the adjacent restaurant. Food there consisted of eggs, toast, fruit, potatoes, meat (sausage/bacon), juice and coffee. The food tasted good and fresh and the service was good there as well.

We felt our room provided a good value in a good location that was close to a lot of the attractions.

So, would we stay here again? Probably. If I had younger children, I might think twice, but for just the two of us, we had no issues with the area.

Room Tip: There are rooms that face the street and then rooms that face another building (which is a brick wal...
Greetings dadofgage,

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you for giving us an in depth overview of your entire experience and also by providing tips and suggestions on this review. Other travelers reading this review would most certainly appreciate this. I'm proud to hear that my staff did an amazing job in providing excellent service and that you were also able to take advantage of the complimentary services and amenities we offered.

I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.
Murrieta, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

San Francisco has a very large homeless population and unfortunately this hotel is located very near a homeless shelter which means the streets in the immediate vicinity are filled with them. This discount hotel does a very good job of providing the basics...reasonably comfortable beds, decent water pressure for showering, and a complimentary breakfast to boot. And all personnel are very courteous and friendly. It is NOT, however, safe to walk the streets of this neighborhood which is in the tenderloin district. The hotel does provide a shuttle to four popular areas which is helpful. If that schedule doesn't fit your needs, you should plan on using cabs. All in all a decent enough place to crash for the night. Just beware of your surroundings when you venture outdoors.

Greetings Suzieq0520,

As to any major city in the united states, homelessness is always one of the issues that is being encountered at all times. Though this maybe the norm, the city of San Francisco has truly improved to address this issue over the years and still continues to get better every year. Based on your review, i'm glad that this didn't completely diminished your stay at the hotel. We strive to provide excellent service and cater to all guest needs as much as possible. From our complimentary amenities and services, i'm happy that it suited your needs.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We enjoyed our 3-nights-stay at the Cova very much! The tidy, amply and calm room provides all you need. The best were the staff: very friendly and helpful. When entering we felt like home. Many thanks and compliments to them!
As other tripadvisor users mention in their reviews, there are a lot of homeless people in the vicinity, but not only there: you see them in the whole city. So, no difference if you would stay at another hotel. Location perfect, 10 minutes walking distance to Union Square, free Shuttle bus to several sights. We highly recommend this hotel to everyone and would definitely return.

Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Greetings Lumedaa87,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It's rewarding for me as a manger to hear that my employees made a significant impact during your stay and they made you feel home away from home. I will make sure to share your review to all of them. We pride ourselves in provide excellent service and we always try our best to go above and beyond to make sure that all guests are taken cared of as much as possible. I'm glad to hear that the location didn't bother you at all and that it was a good fit for your needs as well.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The rooms are kept very clean, breakfast is good, staff is very helpful and the price is very reasonable. Even the parking with in and out was reasonably priced for a city like Downtown San Francisco. I am only concerned about the neighbourhood at night as there were drunken people screaming in the middle of the night and garbage truck dumping at 4am which woke me up several times.

Room Tip: try to get higher floors not facing ellis street
Green Features: very good that they exercise this, I only stayed 2 nights though.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Greetings aweiys,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Our parking is indeed very reasonably priced. In fact, we offer one of the cheapest rates available in the city. Thank you for bringing your concerns in regards to the neighborhood but i hope you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service. Also, we do apologize for the noise sounds that the garbage truck from the city created. Unfortunately, we have no control on their pick up times and schedule since it comes from the city of San Francisco. On the other hand, i would certainly try to bring this concern to the city office for future consideration.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this great hotel. The rooms were very clean and modern, staff were extremely helpful and kind and they went out of their way to help us wherever possible. The neighbourhood is fine to walk around in during the day, although the hotel offers free shuttles should you wish to avoid doing so. As in many areas of a big city, and as 2 girls, taxis are probably preferable at night - the hotel staff were happy to book us taxis so this is not a major problem. Overall a great hotel, I would definitely return and highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Greetings Agnewg,

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and experience with us. From the extremely helpful staff and room cleanliness, these are a few things that we provide and offer that certainly makes our hotel a top hotel to stay in San Francisco.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was totally misguided by the reviews here. It is quite scary at night because of all the people in the surrounding area. I arrived late and the only lady that was "in charge" of the front desk doesn't even speak good English and was rude. I reserved a 2 bedroom and was totally not what I got. There was no manager in premises and she refused to give me a refund. I was not a happy camper at all.

Stayed July 2014
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Greetings Adriana O,

First off, i would like to again apologize for the issues you experienced while staying with us but i'm glad that we were able to speak with you while you were still staying at the hotel. We were able to rectify the issues and based from the feedback you shared with us, you were satisfied with the resolution that we did for you.

In hope that you can stay at the Cova Hotel and give us another chance. Please contact me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com and i will make sure to take good care of you. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.

Been to Cova Hotel? Share your experiences!