“A Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“A Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I went to a party here on the rooftop terrace and had a lot of fun. The view was really nice and I loved the indoor/outdoor atmosphere. Perfect for the finicky SF weather. I got a room for the night and was surprised at how nice the rooms were. It's a very elegant yet sleek hotel...Breakfast in the morning was perfect...I love that they had waffles. Location was the only downside. It's close to everything but a bit sketchy...definitely not a deal breaker though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We just returned from a week in San Francisco, stayed at the Cova Hotel. It's about 2.5 miles from Fisherman's Wharf, but, the Cova Hotel has a complimentary shuttle that goes to the wharf 4 times a day, very convenient. The staff is more than accommodating and very friendly. The rooms are fine, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Anton was our favorite shuttle driver. He's VERY knowledgeable about the area and loves to share his knowledge and show off the sites while shuttling you to and from the hotel. Also, the continental breakfast is good. I'd recommend getting an additional waffle maker. We'll definitely stay at the Cova again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Upon the shuttle driving to the hotel, I became aware of all of the homeless people in the area. I went in to check in at 2:50pm. I was told check in was not until 3pm. Being tired from the flight and shuttle ride, I asked if she could check on one to see if it was available. They found a room. The lobby furniture was so old and 'furry' that it actually looked frightening. The fireplace was off. You have to use your room key to get to your floor on the elevator which is odd as you have to pass by the front desk on the way to the elevator, and if the don't recognize you, they ask what room you're in. One of the most annoying things was the internet service. You can't just log online and expect to get notified of email. After about 5-10 minutes of no activity, the connection goes dead and you have to re-enter the user id and password to sign up again. Most hotels, have either 24 hour service and then resign in, or they have an unchallenged wifi that you use the entire time you are there. Having brought my iPad. Everytime I picked it up, I had to re-enter the user id and password. This was very annoying. The door between the rooms was paper thin. I heard people yelling in another language until after midnight in the room next door. The hallway smelled like mold. One woman on the elevator said she had to request to have her room cleaned as it smelled like urine. The carpet was nasty and stained in the hallways. The room was so small the coffee was in the bedroom, while the coffee machine was in the bathroom. Even the ice bucket was on a lower shelf in the bathroom. The shower curtain was even made out of towels. (tacky) After checking into the hotel, I used the bathroom and there was a loud knock at my door and shouted 'housekeeping.' I told them I was using the bathroom, but she came in anyway and said she had to put the bottle of water in the room so I wasn't charged for it. Which brings me to another issue. Every hotel I've ever been to, whether a Best Western or a "W" boutique hotel has put a $50 hold on my credit card for incidentals. Cova puts a $50 per night charge on your credit card. So if you're staying 5 nights and even though the room has already been paid for, the put a $250 authorization on your card. WHY??? this is ridiculous. Other people have mentioned the area that the hotel is in. I was able to walk it without any bother during the day, but at night, there were homeless sleeping on the streets and some very aggressive panhandlers. I would not recommend this place for families and certainly not for young women traveling alone. The room had heat that was centrally controlled, but had no AC. Instead it had a fan in the corner of the room. TACKY! Even the bedspread on the bed was made out of towels. The closet was not on a track and just flew open rather than bifolding open. The included breakfast was minimal. While this hotel wasn't the worst I've ever stayed at, I would certainly go out of my way to avoid this hotel and area in the future.

Room Tip: spend the difference to stay at a hotel in a better area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I travel to San Francisco every week on business. I stay in the COVA Hotel for 2 or 3 nights each week. I have stayed in about 25 different San Francisco hotels over the past five years. About a year ago I discovered the COVA and made it my regular choice. The things I like about the COVA are: great value, modern and comfortable rooms, helpful and friendly staff (the best I have found in SF), free breakfast, free shuttle, close to Union Square and downtown, international clientele, location next to "Little Saigon" where there is a wide selection of restaurants with delicious Vietnamese food. I have even brought my wife with me for weekends in San Francisco and she loves the COVA too. The only negative is the nearby Tenderloin district; but just ask the desk staff and they will tell you what streets to avoid.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Nice Hotel with friendly staff. Location? Not perfect, but it's Downtown, right? I don't think that anyone can find any better place for the price those guys charge:) I am planning my next visit to SF for October and I think I will stay there again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

There's homeless people everywhere, the surrounding area smells terrible, the front desk are incredibly unhelpful, there's no room-service or on-site dining. In fact the onsite restaurant was padlocked shut with big industrial chains - it looked like a crime scene.

What a terrible idea to stay here. Avoid this [--] at all costs, guys!

I called downstairs to complain about being put in the wrong room, then not being given access to the 'free wifi', then for not having been given food menus to order from local restaurants. The front desk proceeded to hang up on me after dismissing most of my responses.

I've never dealt with such unprofessional staff and unhelpful people in my life. I can't wait to get out of this dump.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Joyce P, Guest Satisfaction Ambassador at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Hello Sunny D,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and it’s our pleasure for having you here at the Cova recently.

We are located in the tenderloin, which is very unique part of San Francisco. Our front desk agents are so knowledgeable at advising our guests which area or streets to avoid. We also have a complimentary shuttle that would take you to the main parts of the city. All of the time, our Wi-Fi access and password is written on our guests key card holder, and you can find it also to our information binder inside our guest rooms. Unfortunately, the restaurant was owned and managed independently before, and I apologize if you not informed that the restaurant had been closed. However, I am happy to inform you that the hotel is in the process of taking over it.

We pride ourselves on customer service, I would be grateful to get all the information from you directly. Please contact me at joyce@covahotel.com or at 415.771.3000 ext. 1127.
Thanks again for taking time sharing your thoughts and once again, thank you for staying at the Cova Hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I loved this hotel. Very clean quality rooms. Spacious, comfortable beds, clean renovated bathrooms and tea and coffee making etc.

It really had everything and also included breakfast. Probably for about $100 less per night than similar SF hotels.

Now you do have to be aware about the area it's in though. As someone who lives in an inner-city area myself I was fine with it. But I can see how a family or an elderly couple who are used to suburban or rural living would find it confronting.

However if you are saving $100 per night you can afford to pay for door-to-door cabs to and from the hotel and still come out well in front!

So I believe it is definitely worth it - perfect choice for young travellers used to city living.

Not ideal location for elderly or families but if you just remember to take cabs you won't even notice you're in a dodgy area!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cova Hotel? Share your experiences!